Alternative firmware for Arilux AL-LC03 for use with MQTT and Home Assistant (RGB light strip controller)

Thank you. I updated the sketch on the dev branch. I assumed that the RF receiver is connected at the same pin as the IR receiver (#define ARILUX_RF_PIN 4 ). When you’ve time, can you try it? Thx.

Sam

OK

RX pin is 4 for sure. RF receives OK but only ON & OFF is working. No other buttons do anything. Obviously mqtt is working fine. So positive from a RF receive point of view.

EDIT: Checked my codes again. Typo from my behalf. Will change them now and confirm

Also I notice when power is cut to the unit and it turns on for the first time, it actually comes on. This is good for some people but for places like mine where we get power interruptions daily it seems it’s an issue because you come home to lights on :smiley:

All working :smiley: Excellent

These are new codes :slight_smile:

#ifdef RF_REMOTE
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_ON           7808513
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_TOGGLE       7808514
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_OFF          7808515
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_SPEED_PLUS   7808516
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_MODE_PLUS    7808517
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_BRIGHT_PLUS  7808518
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_SPEED_MINUS  7808519
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_MODE_MINUS   7808520
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_BRIGHT_MINUS 7808521
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_RED          7808522
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_GREEN        7808523
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_BLUE         7808524
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_ORANGE       7808525
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_LTGRN        7808526
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_LTBLUE       7808527
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_AMBER        7808528
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_CYAN         7808529
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_PURPLE       7808530
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_YELLOW       7808531
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_PINK         7808532
#define ARILUX_RF_CODE_KEY_WHITE        7808533
#endif

Oops :smiley:

Edit again. I did notice it reset. Was on Telnet monitoring and telnet stopped, unit came back on full bright default color. I will leave it on and just keep checking. Wasn’t power issue.

I disabled the auto “turn on at startup”. The master branch is now updated. Thanks for your work; I mentioned your name in the README file.

My pleasure :smiley: Also Sam there is a clearly defined model range for these units. After further investigation I now understand the model lineup. It is based on whether it is an IR or RF based controller, and secondly how many leds it supports. RGB, RGBW, or RGBWW. Maybe what you can do in your Github is tell people clearly what models you support because it caught me off guard basically because they all look almost identical.

AL-LC01 - No Controller, RGB, 5-28V
AL-LC02 - No Controller, RGBW, 9-12V
AL-LC03 - iR Controller, RGB, 5-28V
AL-LC04 - iR Controller, RGBW, 9-12V
AL-LC08 - No Controller, RGBWW, 5-28V
AL-LC09 - RF Controller, RGB, 5-28V
AL-LC10 - RF Controller, RGBW, 9-28V
AL-LC11 - RF Controller, RGBWW, 9-28V

EDIT: BTW the link you provided to AliExpress further up was great. When I clicked it the AL-LC03 was on special for $8USD so I bought 2 more. Great value.

3 Likes

Sam

I’m getting a lot of random resets with the 1 Arilux I have. Have you seen this problem with yours. Of course it comes back straight away but because I default the unit to OFF when I turn it on, I need to go back into HA and turn it back on again. It comes back at full brightness, but hasn’t updated HA with it’s brightness and HA thinks it’s the value before it crashed.

Just my observations.

EDIT: Looking at my comment above it was resetting even back a while ago.

Kman

Thank you for your feedback. It’s strange, I didn’t have problems when I was using it. I’m for 3 months in Australia and I didn’t take my stuffs with; I will look at it when I’ll be back.

OK no problems. Welcome to Australia, I live here :smiley:

are the output pins the same across the different controller versions?

Lars

Does anyone know if there is a wallmounted rf/wifi Transmitter you could use as a compliment to the phone?

First i would like to thank you for the firmware, loaded and worked great on my ARILUX® AL-LC01, Great to see you included security for the MQTT connection.

As im sure you have seen the Arilux units all seem to be fully populated for RGBW use. Would it be possible for you to add in the option to use the white as well? It could have its own MQTT topic for the white.

I had a go but my Arduino skills are lacking way behind understanding some of your code. White is connected to pin 13.

I find you can never get a nice while from RGB on its own and RGBW led strip is not expensive at all these days.

Another nice feature would be for the new colour to fade in over about 50-100ms?

Thank you again for the firmware :slight_smile:

I ordered a RGBWW ledstrip yesterday. I’ll try to solder another pin and use it with my 3 channels controller. The result will be probably published in April.

If i can be of any help with testing please let me know.

Also I see

AL-LC05 - No controller, RGB, 12-24V

Just ordered two of these which look exactly the same as the Arilux (branded Firstsd) but are RGBW and come as a kit with everything I needed (LED strip, power supply and the controller). I’ll most likely end up pulling one of these apart and putting some new firmware on them. Might be easier than attaching an extra pin @mertenats

I want to put some LED strips in the garden. I am worried about WIFi signal. In case WIFI does not pick up, with RF I am good to go, correct?

yeah, I also don’t understand why more supplier sell ready made product. I have no will to start messing with soldering.
BTW you have any link of a ready made connector that I can attach to a LED strip (between the Arilux and the LED strip, without the need to solder anything, just clip)

I just installed this Arilux with the flux_led components.

So far seems everything is working correctly. WHat are the advantages of flashing this firmware?

Okay, I tried for quite a while with alligator/crocodile clips to flash the firmware with no success. It’s too hard to do, the pads are too close together. Hopefully i’ll have my soldering iron tomorrow and will just solder some wire on… assuming I haven’t fried the board already :worried:

The benefit of this firmware is that it’s an open source project and uses standardized protocol (MQTT) unlike the builtin firmware. The flux_led platform gets the basics done, most of the time, but there’s a lot of users that have issues with it due to weird differences in versions between products. I’d much rather have this all in one product with MQTT firmware on it instead of the semi-broken API that it comes with, or even building my own off the shelf product.

2 Likes

If your going to flash them your gonna find it alot easier to solder the unit to connect the serial interface, but as the firmware has over the air updates (OTA) its a once only thing so long as you don’t flash a bad firmware.

The great thing about using MQTT is that it will connect to almost any home automation systems.

For a connector i have used “Single Row Female Straight Pitch Header” (Ebay).

Lots of people think soldering is hard, its really not :slight_smile:

I have my first one in place and running my under cabinet lighting in my kitchen, the rest this weekend.