Alternative to phasing out known_devices.yaml?

Hi,
In the documentation, it is mentioned that the known_devices file is being phased out.
The fact is that I use it to create a virtual device_tracker and person that I can set as at ‘home’ or ‘not_home’ by automation with the device_tracker.see service.
If this file becomes eventually ignored by HA, what will be the alternatives? I first tried with a sensor with ‘home’ and ‘not_home’ values, but it is not considered as a device_tracker and therefore not as ‘person’ either by HA.
Could we have device_tracker template or person template integration instead?
Or, preferably, could the known_devices file be kept for that purpose (and maybe others)?
Thanks.

EDIT: if you also want a template device_tracker, vote here!

1 Like

Someone, somewhere on here or on reddit, made a really clever guest mode using the mqtt device tracker that I’ve been meaning to emulate ever since I saw it but never got round to it. Maybe you could do something similar?

2 Likes

I also use a mqtt device tracker for that.

I’ve had the problem that my mobile phone ran out of battery and my person entity could not be updated when I came home.

For this case I press a button in the hallway when I come home and my phone is not working at this time.
The button press triggers an automation which updates the mqtt device tracker.