Alternative way of running HassOS (full OS) on FreeNAS (without iocage or Docker)

Hi

I am a bit lost here , I did the VBoxManage clonehd part of the tutorial and then copy and paste the hassos_vm.img to my FreeNas mylocker folder from windows file manager this is the path [\FREENAS\mylocker\hassos_vm.img](file:///\FREENAS\mylocker\hassos_vm.img)

I add zvol into the video pool and name it myhome , question which dataset should I use I have 3 pools therefore 3 dataset in my setup (pool 1 mylocker)( 2 video)( 3 oddone )the hassos _vm.img is now reside in mylocker ,from within windows file manager in the network it is freenas\mtlocker\hassos_vm.img

Can you please fill out the command line with according to the information in this post , I am stuck on not getting any further with my setup

Thank you very much for your help

FREENAS\mylocker\hassos\vm.mnt

Hi @allalone47

maybe this can help you to figure out the correct path on your FreeNAS

zfs get -pH -o value mountpoint mylocker\hassos

Hi thank you for the reply ,I find this odd if I copy the Hassos vm img file to one of the freenas pool folder why it cannot pick it up ,may be the method of copy and paste is the wrong way , two questions ,first how to copy and where can it be stored in Freenas , I got 3 pools my locker (one word ) video and odd one (one word ) there is no other storage space in Freenas ,

‘’’

Please have a look on this read out of my setup, i few things that i notice is that in the pool name mylocker when i do the ls -al i can see the folder name sharefolder but it is not showing in the pool list nor is the windows explorer , there i can see the pool folders , of course the zvol folder is not displayed I am using the FreeNas 11.3 U3.2 is there a bug should i down grade to an older version,
thanks ‘’’

‘’’

root@freenas[~]# cd /mnt
root@freenas[/mnt]# ls -al
total 7
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 256 Jun 14 01:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root wheel 27 Jun 14 01:29 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 root wheel 5 Jun 12 12:01 md_size
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 14 04:10 mylocker
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jun 12 12:17 oddone
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 14 02:59 video
root@freenas[/mnt]# cd mylocker
root@freenas[/mnt/mylocker]# ls -al
total 1
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 14 04:10 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 256 Jun 14 01:29 …
drwxrwx–x+ 2 root concord 3 Jun 14 04:10 sharefolder
root@freenas[/mnt/mylocker]# cd sharefolder
root@freenas[/mnt/mylocker/sharefolder]# ls -al
total 213377
drwxrwx–x+ 2 root concord 3 Jun 14 04:10 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 14 04:10 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 root wheel 6442450944 May 27 12:57 hassos_vm.img
root@freenas[/mnt/mylocker/sharefolder]# cd…
zsh: command not found: cd…
root@freenas[/mnt/mylocker/sharefolder]# cd …
root@freenas[/mnt/mylocker]# cd …
root@freenas[/mnt]# cd …
root@freenas[/]# ls -al
total 50
drwxr-xr-x 20 root wheel 27 Jun 14 01:29 .
-rw-r–r-- 2 root wheel 887 Jun 12 12:01 .cshrc
-rw-r–r-- 2 root wheel 405 Jun 12 12:01 .profile
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 13 Jun 12 12:01 .rnd -> /var/tmp/.rnd
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 47 Jun 12 12:01 bin
drwxr-xr-x 10 root wheel 66 Jun 13 14:30 boot
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 12 12:01 compat
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 12 12:01 conf
-r–r--r-- 1 root wheel 6121 Jun 12 12:01 COPYRIGHT
drwxr-xr-x 6 www www 11 Jun 14 04:29 data
dr-xr-xr-x 15 root wheel 512 Jun 14 01:28 dev
-rw------- 1 root wheel 4096 Jun 14 01:29 entropy
drwxr-xr-x 30 root wheel 8576 Jun 14 04:44 etc
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 59 Jun 12 12:01 lib
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 4 Jun 12 12:01 libexec
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jun 12 12:02 media
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 256 Jun 14 01:29 mnt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jun 12 12:02 net
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jun 12 12:02 proc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 146 Jun 12 12:01 rescue
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 15 Jun 14 04:57 root
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 133 Jun 12 12:01 sbin
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 11 Jun 12 12:01 sys -> usr/src/sys
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 8 Jun 12 12:01 tmp -> /var/tmp
drwxr-xr-x 13 root wheel 13 Jun 12 12:02 usr
drwxr-xr-x 27 root wheel 1728 Jun 14 01:29 var
root@freenas[/]# cd …
root@freenas[/]# dd if=/mnt/video/mylocker/mylocker/sharefolder/hassos_vm.img of=dev/zvol/video/myhome
dd: /mnt/video/mylocker/mylocker/sharefolder/hassos_vm.img: No such file or directory
root@freenas[/]# cd video
cd: no such file or directory: video
root@freenas[/]# cd /mnt
root@freenas[/mnt]# ls -al
total 7
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 256 Jun 14 01:29 .
-rw-r–r-- 1 root wheel 5 Jun 12 12:01 md_size
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 14 04:10 mylocker
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jun 12 12:17 oddone
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 14 02:59 video
root@freenas[/mnt]# cd video
root@freenas[/mnt/video]# ls -al
total 1
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 3 Jun 14 02:59 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 256 Jun 14 01:29 …
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jun 14 02:59 New folder
root@freenas[/mnt/video]#

‘’’
‘’’

root@freenas[~]# zfs get -pH -o value mountpoint mylocker\sharefolder\hassos
cannot open ‘mylockersharefolderhassos’: dataset does not exist
root@freenas[~]# root@freenas[~]# zfs get -pH -o value mountpoint mylocker\sharefolder\hassos
cannot open ‘mylockersharefolderhassos’: dataset does not exist
root@freenas[~]#

root@freenas[~]# zfs get -pH -o value mountpoint mylocker\hassos_vm.img
cannot open ‘mylockerhassos_vm.img’: dataset does not exist
root@freenas[~]#
‘’’
‘’’

cheers

It appears that the location of the img file is /mnt/mylocker/sharefolder/hassos_vm.img, not /mnt/video/mylocker/mylocker/sharefolder/hassos_vm.img

In my case, you can see the file hierarchy:

FileDisk is the pool_name
Storage is the dataset_name
hassio is the zvol_name

(keep in mind that all locations are case sensitive):

‘’’
Ok hello I did a reinstall of FreeNas i was using Ver 11.3 u3.2 but now install i am using version 11.2 u6
Please according to the instructions below , these are my present settings

f. Burn the hassos_vm.img to the Zvol created above by running the following command:

dd if=/mnt/pool_name/dataset_name/location_of_hassos_vm/hassos_vm.img of=/dev/zvol/pool_name/zvol_name`

The setting i had so far are
Pool name is backup
dataset name is temps
The hassos file is located here mnt/backup/temps/hassos_vm.img
zvol name is hassio

I enter  the following 

dd if=/mnt/backup/temps/hassos_vm.img of=/dev/zvol/backup/hassio

I get this error dd /dev/zvol/backup/hassio NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY

please how would you fill the dd line according the instruction, i spend almost 2 days trying to solve this still i get the same error message
thanks

Hi,

I think there’s a typo. Could you run the following commands and post the results?

i. for the source file:
cd /mnt/backup/temps
ls -al

ii. for the zvol
cd /dev/zvol/backup
ls -al

Hi
Please find the results
Thank you

% cd /mnt/backup/temps
% ls -al
total 209622
drwxrwxrwx 2 root admin 3 Jun 16 12:58 .
drwxrwx—+ 5 root admin 6 Jun 16 12:30 …
-rw-rw-rw- 1 sammy admin 6442450944 May 27 12:57 hassos_vm.img

% cd /dev/zvol/backup
% ls -al
total 1
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Jun 17 01:26 .
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root wheel 512 Jun 17 01:26 …
crw-r----- 1 root operator 0xa2 Jun 17 01:26 hassio

Ok, let’s start over:

• how do you connect to the FreeNAS machine (are using the Shell in the GUI or ssh from a Windows/Linux/Mac machine)?
  • how are you writing the commands into the terminal (ctrl+C/ctrl+V, shift+insert, etc)?

I’m asking this because of the following error message that you pointed out:

Although FreeNAS changed the default shell from bash to zsh (assuming you’re using a different shell), the error message should be the same. See below the output of different commands on my system (the colors are added by the formatting on the site and you can also use it to make your posts more clear):

• first command is a correct command that “burns” the image;
  • second command points to an incorrect source file (hassos_vm.img_incorrect);
  • third command points to an incorrect zvol destination (hassio_incorrect)

As you can see from the comparison, your error lists zvol destination and NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY (you can observe that there is no all caps message) which doesn’t appear in any of my combinations.

I think that you might have manually entered the commands and pressed an incorrect character. Could you post print screen when running the command?

root@myria[/mnt/FileDisk/Storage/Settings]# clear
root@myria[/mnt/FileDisk/Storage/Settings]# dd if=/mnt/FileDisk/Storage/Settings/hassos_vm.img of=/dev/zvol/FileDisk/hassio
9895643+1 records in
9895643+1 records out
5066569551 bytes transferred in 45.363963 secs (111687101 bytes/sec)
root@myria[/mnt/FileDisk/Storage/Settings]# dd if=/mnt/FileDisk/Storage/Settings/hassos_vm.img_incorrect of=/dev/zvol/FileDisk/hassio
dd: /mnt/FileDisk/Storage/Settings/hassos_vm.img_incorrect: No such file or directory
root@myria[/mnt/FileDisk/Storage/Settings]# dd if=/mnt/FileDisk/Storage/Settings/hassos_vm.img of=/dev/zvol/FileDisk/hassio_incorrect
dd: /dev/zvol/FileDisk/hassio_incorrect: Operation not supported

please see a screenshot of the pool

drive and folder seen in windows file explorer

result from shell in FreeNas

result from Putty

please find the shots of each parts i hope can help you with my inquires
thank you

We’re getting closer:

• there could be a problem with the actual location of hassos_vm.img as you might have moved/deleted it from folder temps (full location should be /mnt/backup/temps/hassos_vm.img); you can see on the first printscreen you posted with the pools that the dataset temps has only 204.79 MiB occupied, however although the hassos_vm.img size is around 6 GB and, although most of it is padding, the size on disk should be above 300 MB (I’ve just redone the entire process now on a test VM - see below printscreens below); could you confirm the size of the hassos_vm.img on your Windows machine?
  • from putty you are connecting as Sammy (which is a member of the admin group and it doesn’t have the rights to run the commands) while on FreeNAS you’re using root account (with full rights) so you should run it from FreeNAS shell.

tip: you can also use Snipping Tool (case you’re using Windows 10) or Windows+Shift+S key to launch it fast.

Hi there yes only showing size to be 205 mb
how can i edit the disk size i do see any options

That’s strange, because I tried it yesterday and should’ve been the same size. Are you sure the base image file you downloaded and converted with VirtualBox was hassos_ova-4.10.vdi.gz?

Run (in FreeNAS shell) chown root:wheel /mnt/backup/temps/hassos_vm.img
then
dd if=/mnt/backup/temps/hassos_vm.img of=/dev/zvol/backup/hassio

Hi
Again thank you for your patience , As you can see from the screenshot the download link on the first section of this tutorial is the hassos_ova 2.12 vdi gz and not hassos_ova 4 10 vdi gz as you can see today i download it again and no change , is there a link for the version you mention,
i run the two command you send and the results thanks

Hi there Sorry i just see the other link, i was only following what is on the first page i will start again and send the results

From https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/, download VDI and convert it with VirtualBox

Direct link: https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/4.10/hassos_ova-4.10.vdi.gz

Actually the first printrscreen in this round shows that the process is in progress. Did it failed afterwards? (a correct burn should show something like below)

9895643+1 records in
9895643+1 records out
5066569551 bytes transferred in 45.363963 secs (111687101 bytes/sec)

Hi there i was trying to run the VBoxManage but the hassos _ova.410vdi.gz gives error in
the command line VBoxManage clonehd C:\downloads\hassos_ova-4.10.vdi.gz C;\VM\hassos_vm.img --format raw
I edit the hassos_ova-4.10.vdi.gz to hassos_ova-4.10.vdi but same result,
you mansion the first screenshot no i did not get any action i think it stop working then

gz means is an archive.

Use 7zip (or similar) to get the file needed.

Hi there it did give me the line of code that you mention i then click on Virtual Machine which show state on, where or how to find home assistant there is no icon showing
i a what you call a complete dummy , my present home assistant is running on a Raspberry Pi 3 , my FreeNas is built on old pc parts nothing special just for home networking, so i wish to use the FreeNas all in one place, no what i mean , i am looking around in FreeNas to find a link how to find and start home assistant