Alternative way of running HassOS (full OS) on FreeNAS (without iocage or Docker)

Hello again , this is the result I receive , I change the pool video/ and zvol_myhome
I click on virtual machine the state shows is off ,I start it so it is now showing AutoStart but how would i no if it setup and where can i find the link to run home assistant thanks
thanks a lot for your help

The IP depends on your setup for the virtual machine.

If everything went fine, you can see the associated MAC by pressing the arrow, then in Devices check the details for the NIC.

Afterwards, you can either use a scanning program, issue the command arp -a or check your router list of devices for the IP linked to above MAC.

Hi
From what you say
If everything went fine, you can see the associated MAC by pressing the arrow, then in Devices check the details for the NIC.

This is the NIC details

this is the Command line arp -a
https://prnt.sc/t2xr7z
192.168.0.42 this is FreeNas
19 Hassio
1 Router
29 Hive unit
21 desk pc
nothing showing for Virtual machine IP i check the router nothing , therefore it must be that everything did now went fine, seems you are the only one on line this forum once again thank you for all you valued time Thanks

Is the state of the VM on (like hassio in my case)? When turning it on does it throw any error? Or switching back to off immediately after?

First I did get an error when I start it but that was down to the Bios There I enable the virtualization
I then Stop it and start it stay on, do i need to the NIC
https://prnt.sc/t2zl2i

The fast and preferred way to get the ip of the HA instance is from the router (if accessible, as some ISPs lockdown their gear).

Otherwise, you could try running a network scanner (such as Advanced IP Scanner for Windows or Network IP Scanner for Android) but it is quite a bit of hassle if you will only use it now.

In the longer run, you might look into something like phpIPAM on Docker (which would be accessible from any device on the network and you can also set aliases and keep track of all MACs on your network instead of writing them down or save them into an excel worksheet that you wonā€™t find when you need it :slight_smile: ) https://hub.docker.com/r/pierrecdn/phpipam

The router is not showing any IP for the HA in FreeNas , there is a IP fir FreeNas and also for the Raspberry pi Hassio but no HA , i use the Advanced IP Scanner and also Fing on phone but same no IP, are you saying that the setup that i did from this forum only work on some systems and not the other, but reading through the hole topic and replies someone did as i am doing build a FreeNas server from old PC parts , I had a Asus P8Z68 pro motherboard using a I7 CPU its not that too old , I am just baffled why others get things working but I cannot solve this , i donā€™t wish to waste your time , you have been trying to help me out . the IP that the arp -a return could it be doubling up with one of them .
how are you running your FreeNas HA , did you try it on an ordinary Computer , man I am freak out
Question again where would i see the IP and MAC address for HA in FreeNas
Virtual machine show me the VNC port 5589 and Com Port /dev/nmdm2B

From what I find about the mainboard, supported CPUs are second generation core processor, thus it is more than adequate to run FreNAS.

Currently I run a HP MicroServer Gen10 (it uses an AMD X3216 processor that is so-so for intensive tasks) but only because it is very compact (it is smaller than a tower desktop and can fit in the location I needed) and a tower pc (this one on an even older machine with a Intel Pentium G4400 processor) so your pc is quite powerful compared to my stuff. Iā€™ve also installed, for other persons, FreeNAS on used server gear (this would also be my preferred method but I canā€™t accommodate for a rack at home) or on regular PC hardware (mostly middle tier processors, nothing fancy).

As HA doesnā€™t appear on the network there must be something wrong along the process. So, letā€™s start over with a full checklist (note if thereā€™s any no/maybe answers get back to that respective task and donā€™t jump over steps; sometimes it is much easier to start with a clean state):

• downloaded latest VM (VDI) from HA site?
  • unrar gz file?
  • converted vdi file to img raw format with VirtualBox?
  • copied img file to FreeNAS (ie. name it hassos_vm.img)?
  • created zvol in FreeNAS?
  • burned hassos_vm.img to zvol?
  • created VM?
  • set the VM with the followings:
    Step 1 (Operating System):
    Guest operating system: Linux
    Name: hassio (or anything you like)
    Boot method: UEFI
    Start on Boot and Enable VNC: enabled
    Bind: 0.0.0.0

Step 2 (CPU and Memory):
Virtual CPUs: 1/2/4 (depends how many your CPU can virtualize)
Memory Size: at least 512 MiB

Step 3 (Disks):
Select Use existing disk image and Select Existing zvol

Step 4 (Network Interface):
No need to modify (unless you want a more easy to find MAC address like 00:00:00:00:00:01 :slight_smile: )

Step 5 (INstalation Media):
No change

If everything went fine you would now have the new HA install on your network.

As an alternative, if for any reason IP doesnā€™t appear on the netork, but the VM is up and running, select VNC (it would open another browser window) and login into HA with username root (no password).

Then run command: login (it will give you access to host of the HA container)

run command: nslookup homeassistant (that would be the ip of the VM).

Hello , good day , seems we are in different time zone , mine is GMT I just see your reply and thank you I will do a clean setup today , I only have 8 gb RAM I am adding 8 more so 16 gb should be fine what version of Freenas do you recommend,

Some time ago basic thumb rule was 1 GB of RAM per each TB, however this was about a decade and it should run fine with even less than 1GB/1TB.

If you plan on running more VMs then yes, adding RAM should help.

Just go with the current version (11.3). TrueNAS Core (12) is still in nightly builds stage (not even beta) so itā€™s not bug free.

Thanks for your reply, but I read about the Ram per TB too late I already went ahead and because of the motherboard Bios date it was not reading all of the Ram, after the upgrade, i cannot boot beyond Code 55 , which is no Ram detected. so seems as if it a dead board. Iā€™ll be Back.

Hey guys/galā€™s,

Thanks @Petrica for this great alternative to the iocage plugin. I was having a heap of issues with several integrations not installing etc and this fixed all of it.

It has created one issue however that Iā€™m hoping someone here might be able to assist me with. While I could do it perfectly in the iocage jail, under the new VM I cannot log into the home assistant cloud service. I just keep getting an error saying ā€œUexpected error: your token {} could not be verifiedā€.

Iā€™ve tried logging in with a different account with the same result. I have had a few support emails back and forward with nabu casa support but they also seem stumped. I also tried spinning up a second vm and doing nothing other than on boarding (just to rule out me setting something wrong) and then trying to log in but Iā€™m getting the same error. I even tried this again using the nuc image but got the same result. Since it worked fine in the iocage jail and both the images are doing the same thing Iā€™m thinking it might be a Bhyve issue but my experience with it is limited so Iā€™m hoping someone here thatā€™s more knowledgeable than me might be able to help point me in the right direction. I can provide any logs or info that may help.

Thanks in advance!

Goobz

Hi,

Unfortunately, I donā€™t use the Nabu Casa integration but NPM + DuckDNS addons for remote access.

My first guess is that something is blocking the VM ports on your install (which would be the case if youā€™d be using a NATed VM and the VM needs specific ports from the host; I might be wrong, but the bhyve GUI on FN defaults to Brigded mode, so that the VM will have a different IP than the FN host). Are you using any port forwarding rules on your router?

Hello Petrica

A very good day
I thank you for your patience and guidance, you use your valued time to guide me through to have hassio installed in FreeNas, some of my computer hardware had give up i had to buy some new computer parts , now I can report back and say it is working by following from scratch , I will remember this thank you very much
thanks
Cheers

Just chiming in to say this worked perfectly, however I used the intel_nuc image, so I was able to skip the conversion of vmdk to img. Thank you!

After I do a dd of the .img and go to start up the VM my router isnā€™t picking up any new devices. If I pull up a VNC of the VM, itā€™s stuck in shell.

Is there any error in the logs (either in GUI or pushed to Syslog Server)? Does the VM appear as up and running?

Canā€™t seem to be able to burn the image any suggestions?

the hassos img is taking up 326 MB of space on the drive so I think I have created the right img file

Can you try to download the nuc image instead for flashing to zvol (it would not need the intermediary step of converting the image with VirtualBox)?

thank you for the response, unfortunately Iā€™m still getting the same error.