Alternative way of running HassOS (full OS) on FreeNAS (without iocage or Docker)

Hi,

I don’t think the problem is related to the installation process (rather to the fact that the instance can’t access internet), but you can redo the flashing to zvol step and then let it sink for a while.

Hi
Please can i have some advice on Samba Share, with in the install , i install Samba in home assistant
then tried to Map network drive in windows 10 which did not work. i already map the freenas ip address\and pool name. example \192.168.0.xx\spare which work what is the home assistant files are stored , because i would like to be able to edit the config file on the Windows 10 PC can this be done, what will be the map drive command line look like
Thank you

Hi,

I think that the command in Windows would be (replace ip_of_ha and your_password; check if Samba addon uses homeassistant user as default or not):

net use s: \\ip_of_ha\config /user:homeassistant your_password /persistent:Yes

AFAIK, HA Samba addon won’t let you starting it without password.

But since you’re using Windows I would suggest keeping Samba addon disabled. Instead install, on your Windows machine, WinSCP (and optionally Putty). You need to have SSH addon installed on HA, but I find it easier to use the two panel screen and the editor.

Hello
good day ,

Things looked like they were working for me after starting up the VM. I can see an IP address from the router (192.167.0.41) and successfully ping it.

However, I am unable to login via either ‘homeassistant.local:8123’ or ‘192.167.0.41:8123’ to access the interface. It just times out and says ‘unable to connect’

If I use the VNC and login via ‘root’ it says ‘Home Assistant CLI is not running! Jump into emergency console…’.

As suggested above, I ran the ‘ns lookup’ command which only returns the IP of my router (192.167.01) and says ‘server can’t find homeassistant: NXDOMAIN’.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi,

What FN software version do you have (11.x or 12.x)?

I’m on 11.3-U5

Could you try to flash the image for NUC (does need processing the vdi file)?

Sorry Petrica, are you saying I should download the image for the NUC which is an .img.xz and try to convert it to a RAW file the same way I converted the VDI file?

NUC image doesn’t need conversion (only unrar and you’ll get the img file that you can flash).

Hi Petrica, I’ve tried using the NUC image but it more or less had the same behaviour as using the raw image. It seems to load up and says ‘Welcome to Homeassistant’, but it doesn’t appear to create an IP address this time as it did when I used the converted .vdi file.

Hi,

Can you post more details? (ie: config and hardware of your FN machine, what commands did you used for flashing the image)

Thanks for your help Petrica, but after a long and difficult process, I managed to get HomeAssistantOS up and running on a supported Debian VM. It wasn’t an easy process either, and I am hoping to share the lessons I learned doing this. Hopefully, someday I’ll be able to get it running directly on FN!

@Petrica
Your post saved me tons of time thank you!
I have a question:
I would like to add a custom component to Hassos
I could not SSH to the machine.
I have tried to install an addon but apparently this should be done either in the VM or the docker .
Any suggestion would be highly appreciated
Again thanks for the help and effort
Cheers

Hi,

I don’t exactly understand your use case, however, in order to SSH into the machine, you would need the SSH addon installed from the Supervisor area.

Thanks for this. Things didn’t work for me on TrueNAS 12.0 until I made sure to use “/dev/zvol” as instructed in the DD command.

This is exactly what I added …yet it did not help
when clicking on the WEBUI I get

I thought there is another way I need to take …

What have you set in the addon configuration for port (it is blank by default)?

Tried both 22 as default SSH port.
As well as 2222 and 22222
Still getting connection refused

Is the log of the addon showing something meaningful?

I see that you set the password to abc123. I don’t know if it is only for the purpose of making the printscreen or not but such a password would not be allowed as the addon is checking against Have I been Pwned so an unique password would be needed.