Alternative way of running HassOS (full OS) on FreeNAS (without iocage or Docker)

Brilliant!!!
Indeed the PWD I chose just for the sake of testing was the problem and the log showed it as it was I have been pawned .

Thanks a lot for helping out again !

Hello,

I know more people had this problem before but even with this forum post I can’t figure it out.

I’m very sure I got my zvol path correct but I still got an error message when I run the command:

“dd if=/mnt/MainStorage/Storage/hassos_vm.img of=/dev/zvol/MainStorage/LinuxmintVM2-Homeassistant”

I get this message: “dd /dev/zvol/MainStorage/LinuxmintVM2-Homeassistant: Operation not supported”

If someone can help me that would be awesome!

Hi,

Check the structure of your dataset in Storage -> Pool and also see my post 97 above. Operation not supported is likely due to the incorrect destination specified for zvol (try to keep the names simple and also keep in mind that all names are case sensitive).

Hello,

I shortened the name of the zvol, and indeed that did the trick.

thank you very much!!

@Petrica ust like to say thank you for sharing this way of installing HassOS on FreeNAS. I wanted to have Supervisor still to manage the add-ons and this way of installation worked out of the box. This is a huge upgrade in speed and reliability compared to my old RPi3 + microSD card, which will be used as a remote instance for running Deconz Zigbee gateway.

I have setup deconz on my Rasberry Pi 3. For zigbee switches that require listening to deconz_events, I have created a trigger-based sensor template which will update the state of the sensor. That way the main HassOS instance on the FreeNAS server can see the state change and an automation / script can be created based on the remote sensor value.

template:
- trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: 'deconz_event'
    event_data:
      id: 'round'
  sensor:
  - name: round_switch
    state: '{{ trigger.event.data.event }}'

This seems more semantic and easier to maintain for me. Will this cause any issue in the long term?

If this works for you then I don’t see any problem in the long run.

In fact, I also use a two HA instance setup, the second one (VM on TrueNAS) being accessible from internet to integrate with Google Assistant so that I don’t have all the devices shared with Google.

1 Like

Last night I fucked up and needed to reinstall HASS and recover from a snapshot. This is my preferred way to install but something weird is happening suddenly.

I gave the VM 1GiB of Memory and the zvol has 65GB of storage… but when I go to upload my snapshot I am getting an “out of memory” error and it forces Home Assistant to restart. Help?

Can you turn off the VM and change the RAM size to 2 GiB (I think it asks for GiB not GB as unit)?

I did this and upped RAM to 4. But - it’s seemingly still fucked up. That said this error did go away.

Does the screen show only “Welcome to Home Assistant” and “homeassistant login:”?

Sorry - just seeing this reply. I ended up giving up and just buying a Blue. Thanks for all of your willingness to help though!

first now it seemes it is called haos_ova-7.6.vdi Copied this in my user dir on my Mac.

VBoxManage clonehd source/haos_ova-7.6.vdi destination/haos_ova-7.6.img --format raw
VBoxManage: error: Could not find file for the medium ‘/Users/bobwalberg/source/haos_ova-7.6.vdi’ (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: “OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())” at line 191 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp

I’m not using MacOS but seems that the command to convert the image in VirtualBox is incorrect, most probably the culprit being the need for case sensitive arguments for location of files.

Anyway, the guide is quite old and there wasn’t an img file offered at that time of writing so the conversion with VirtualBox is no longer necessary (now there’s the Generic x86-64 image).

Hmm, where do i find the Generic x86-64 image?

Middle of the page (https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/7.6/haos_generic-x86-64-7.6.img.xz)

I dit this:
dd if=/mnt/walbergstore/media/downloads/haos_generic-x86-64-7.6.img of=/dev/zvol/walbergstore/Homeassistant
I dit this in Shell of Truenas scale
I had stored haos_generic-x86-64-7.6.img on /mnt/walbergstore/media/downloads See picture and the Zvol is Homeassistant and is on /mnt/walbergstore/
Nothing happens

First of all - thank you! The tutorial to install HA as a VM on FreeNAS (TrueNAS Scale) still works without any issues.

Question though - has anyone managed to get the VM to work with Traefik, Cloudflare certificate and external domain to work? Can you share you configuration and solution?

I suggest to retry the dd command on a fresh zvol (if there would have been errors then they would have shown here). It depends on the disks speed, but it would take several minutes until completion. Can you check the size of the img file?

Also, you might want to delete the last printscreen from your post.