AM43 blinds to ESP8266 hardware conversion

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f3268adc220> #<Tag:0x00007f3268adc0b8>

Hello.

Just want to share instruction on my hardware modification to AM43 blinds engine. This mod replaces BLE module inside device with ESP8266 module allowing to control blinds using MQTT.

All projects that I saw used discrete devices to bridge MQTT/REST -> Wi-Fi -> BLE, and since I have many problems with BLE module range and response times the only way for me was to completely replace BLE module.

Instruction below:
AM43 WiFi

Also you can add some rubber sound-vibration damping material around motor and gearbox to reduce noise. This improves device acoustics a lot! After mod it’s almost unnoticeable at night.

3 Likes

I don’t have this blind controller, but it looks interesting.
Am I right in thinking the thing entirely runs on batteries? - What’s the life like when it’s powering an ESP ?

It runs on 8.4V power adapter plugged into mains and have lithium battery with solar panel for backup. So i’ve ignored battery life aspect of mod. But when assembling and testing it worked fine for around a day or about 30 cycles of Up/Downs without mains power and still haven’t discharged.

1 Like

Looks like a job for esphome :slight_smile:

Hello
Could you please mention what other libraries you have used?

#include <ArduinoJson.h>
#include <ArduinoOTA.h>
#include <DNSServer.h>
#include <FS.h>
#include <ESP8266mDNS.h>
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <ESP8266WebServer.h>
#include <Ticker.h>
#include <WiFiClientSecure.h>
#include <WiFiManager.h> //https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager WiFi Configuration Magic
#include <WiFiUdp.h>

Possibly put the file after compilation.

Andrew

The libraries are in the source.

Hi,
it works great! Thank you very much. It’s the only functional way I’ve found. BUT, Discharging the battery is a big problem for me. I don’t want my power supply still connected. Can you please add a deep sleep sequence?

For example:
5 min - deep sleep
20s - wake

or something similar…

Thank you

btw. ESPHome would be a good way.