Amazon Alexa Smart home skills Home Assistant

You used to be able to. The recent update to “smart home” on mobile, while added a load of useful features, removed the ability to forget devices.

Care to share your cloud config? I’m not able to exclude domains.

Do you have to forget HUE in the Alexa app since hue lights are already in home assistant?

@accelle

See this for filters using cloud

Yeah, I used that before going here. Here’s my config:

alexa:
    filter:
      include_entities:
        - light.gateway_light_f0b429b44357
        - light.gateway_light_f0b429aa1bab
        - switch.plug_158d00010ac64c
        - switch.xiaomiplug01
        - switch.xiaomi_pstrip01
        - switch.xiaomiplug02
        - switch.xiaomiplug03
        - switch.xiaomiplug04
        - switch.plug_158d0001dbcf86
        - switch.plug_158d0001de7a27
        - sensor.miflora_1_temperature
        - switch.kankun
        - switch.insect_repellant
        - switch.aerisathome
        - switch.workfromhome
        - switch.mqtt_motionsensor_broken
        - switch.synology_nas
        - media_player.lg_webos_smart_tv
        - light.bathroom2
        - sensor.temperature_158d00011823a5
        - sensor.temperature_158d00010f69b0
        - sensor.temperature_158d00010abdd6
        - fan.master_bedroom_purifier
        - light.laundry
        - light.backyard
        - light.frontgate
        - light.fronthouse
        - input_select.follow_me_music
        - light.entertainment
      include_domains:
        - scenes
      exclude_domains:
        - script
        - automation
        - group
        - lock
        - media_player
        - switch
        - cover
        - alert

What do you suggest, to use the HUE smart skill and exclude HUE lights from Alexa in Home assistant?

@anon35356645 yeah that’s what I would do.

whoops! found it out. apparently, I was not able to switch my initial config to the cloud.yaml I’ve created. lol.

For my part, I’ll have to use homeassistant skill for hue since I have a gen1 hue bridge (no support for scenes).

are you moving back to Alexa?

I prefer the overall experience with GH, but still have 3 Echo dot. What I like more in Alexa the fact that now I can wake up with music

There is a significant delay when I control devices using GH. Most of the times, it failed to work. I really have no idea why. Alexa seems more responsive and reliable.

Yes me too, but I have the same, once in a while, with Alexa. Very similar

Be patient. i believe Alexa will improve. I have been emailing them requesting new features since 6 months ago. half of what I requested have been implemented. The other half is either under consideration or development. They response to my queries within a day. It makes me feel they really care about their users. Not only they listen to my requests, the most important part is they take action on it. That’s why I’m going to stick to Alexa for now.

I am great fan of Google but it’s a miracle if they ever respond directly to anything, pleased to hear Amazon’s tech guys are up there with the sales side. I have a few issues I wasn’t going to bother with as i assumed they wouldn’t be interested but I’ll give them a go now.

I initially got an Echo Dot to ‘play with’ when they were on sale with every intention to move to Google when they brought out their own version as I personally have no interest in expensive bluetooth speakers. But after using Assistant on my phone for a while decided Amazon were the ones taking HA seriously and what I use Assistant for is not the sort of things I have any interest in shouting across a room to access so no issue with keeping them separate.

Amazon also actively encourages users at all levels to develop their own solutions, Google also seem to have taken on too many ex Apple employees!

Yeah. I still use Google Assistant for Android Auto. Since both can access my Google calendar, Spotify and control my smart home, I have no problem using both. I wish they can share the same shopping list.

Perhaps their latest truce will see things like that happen, Prime video on android TV was never on the cards but it’s just happened.

It was on Shield TVs before, but now it’s available for all Android TV devices.

just need TTS on the Echo’s now :slight_smile:

1 Like

What are you referring to?