Amazon Dash button not detected (using Dasshio or Dasher)

My Amazon Dash button is not recognised by Dasshio or Dasher. I’d prefer to use Dasshio if possible but I installed Dasher to troubleshoot, any help is much appreciated.

Setup:

• Dash Button model no. JK29LP, brand new, bought in the UK
  • Raspberry Pi 2, connected to router (TalkTalk Huawei Super Router HG633) via ethernet
  • Hass.io supervisor version 0.74
  • Home Assistant V 0.57.3
  • Host OS Host Control version 1.1
  • Dasshio V 0.0.9 (current state: started)
  • Dasher V 0.2 (current state: stopped)
  • Other add-ons: SSH server 2.9 (state: stopped) and Samba share 2.0 (state: started)

Dasshio options:

{
  "buttons": [
    {
      "name": "Evian",
      "address": "18:74:2e:d2:ae:ec",
      "url": "http://rpiipaddress:8123/api/services/light/toggle",
      "headers": "{\"x-ha-access\": \"mypassword\"}",
      "body": "{\"entity_id\": \"light.front_door\"}"
    }
  ]
}

Dasshio log:

starting version 3.2.2
WARNING: No route found for IPv6 destination :: (no default route?). This affects only IPv6
2017-11-18 21:51:40,368 | INFO | Reading config file: /data/options.json
2017-11-18 21:51:40,371 | INFO | Starting sniffing...

Here’s what I’ve done so far (I’m not very code savvy so I might be using the wrong language):

• Found the MAC address through long press > connect to dash button wifi > 192.168.0.1
  • Set up the dash button using the iOS app - stopped the process before choosing the item to order. When I press the button I get an alert on my phone saying the button isn’t fully set-up, when pressed the LED flashes white slowly 4 times, then 4 bursts of 4 quick red flashes.
  • Confirmed MAC address through router and Wireshark
  • DHCP reservation via router for dash button MAC address
  • Tried upper case letters in MAC address instead of lowercase
  • restarted Dasshio
  • restarted Home assistant server
  • Confirmed the entity_id in the developer tools services section
  • Confirmed the url api call works via POST request
  • Tried a second brand new Dash button after registering it via iOS app and confirming the MAC address
  • Installed Dasher and also got no response from either button (both triggered alerts on my phone)
  • Stopped Samba share add-on and tried Dasshio again

I think I’ve tried everything suggested in this post now: Can't get Amazon Dash button working - Hassio dasshio

Is there something obvious I’m missing in the setup that could be causing an issue?

Does anyone else have Dasshio (or Dasher) working with the latest model of Dash button and a rpi 2 via ethernet?

Grateful for any help.

1 Like

Hi, I have pretty much your configuration, the only differences are RPi 3 (that should not matter) and the router (i have my ISPs modem/router and a netgear switch). Dasshio 0.0.9 works fine with this configuration, Dasshio options seems correct I am using lowercase MAC address too, same log as yours.

To me it seems you’ve already done everything correctly. If you got the MAC via Wireshark, that means the router is not blocking the traffic.

Sorry but I have no clue… I can only confirm that from my experience it should work with your setup.

2 Likes

Very strange, all looks exactly as per mine. The MAC address is the only relevant part of the config for getting a response in the log when pushed so in theory you can’t go far wrong with that.

Have you tried rebooting your router, wait till everything is back as it should be and then pressing the button, it would guarantee the push is seen as a new connection?

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, at least it’s nothing obvious.

I just tried rebooting the router and pressing the button: same result. I get the flashing LED’s and notification on my phone but nothing shows up in the log.

I tried with lowercase and upper case MAC address again just in case.

After seeing the firmware version (20014520) in the screenshot of the device info in the other thread I decided to check my Dash button’s firmware:

40018220_WS

Maybe as it’s brand new, or UK based, this firmware version has made a change that prevents Dasshio from detecting it.

I tried the Dashrunner app on windows and it didn’t find it either.

Shouldn’t really be anything to do with the button as it only detects when they join the network and both Dasshio and Dasher cover both ways of doing that.

Mine are UK buttons from a month or two ago.

Yep, that’s the normal firmware for 2017 buttons which mine all are so unfortunately no closer…

Bummer. Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to get it working and then order a bunch more whilst they’re a bit cheaper. Still got a few days to get it working though.

I’ll try a fresh install of Hassio and report back.

Perhaps it’s something different between the Pi2 and 3 installs that’s causing it but I’ve no idea what it could be.

@danimtb any ideas?

Maybe.
I’ve just done a fresh install of Hassio on the pi 2 and I still cant get it working.

It’s strange that I can’t seem to get any windows app to recognise the Dash buttons either though.

I’ve got a pi zero w that I can try it on, that’s the next step I think, but might take a while to get around to it.

As you say… Bummer

Wow! Thank you so much for the replies guys!

@benp I think you went through all the possible steps to solve this so I not sure about what is happening here.

I have a raspberry pi 3 connected over ethernet and there has been some issues in the past with rpi3 connected over wifi but this might have been solved in latest 0.0.9 release.

I havent tried it in a raspberry 2 but as @namadori said that should not matter.

I guess this could be something related to your network as Dasshio scans it looking for packets.
Does your rpi2 and dash button connect to the same wifi and network?

Thanks for checking it out.

The Dash button’s connected to the WiFi network that the router creates and the rpi2 is plugged into the router.

I changed the name of the 5GHz frequency so I knew they were connected to the same frequency, I ave no idea if this was necessary or even a good idea, but someone suggested it as a trouble shooting measure for unresponsive Dash buttons I think.

I’ll try and get it working with the rpi zero W at some point this week.

Think that’s a red herring in your instance as your pi is hard wired and buttons are 2.4 only.

1 Like

Success!

Latest log:

starting version 3.2.2
WARNING: No route found for IPv6 destination :: (no default route?). This affects only IPv6
2017-11-20 22:36:28,367 | INFO | Reading config file: /data/options.json
2017-11-20 22:36:28,386 | INFO | Starting sniffing...
2017-11-20 22:38:43,542 | INFO | Evian button pressed!

That’s from the rpi zero w that I just setup.

Now my only issue is - my Ikea Tradfri hub can’t be configured since I did a new install of hassio, but that’s a known issue I think and might be fixed soon anyway.

I’ll see if I can get it working on the rpi2 once the Ikea issue is resolved.

Thanks for all your help!

1 Like

So it works if the RPi is on track same Wi-Fi as the Dash button, and it doesn’t work of the RPi is on the wired network from the router/access point. You said you saw the Arp packet from the Dash button with wireshark, it was from a PC connected to which network?

Yes.

The Dash button is connected to my home wifi.

pi zero w on the same wifi network with Hassio installed and Dasshio addon detects the click.

rpi2 wired into the router that’s creating the same wifi network with Hassio and Dasshio addon doesn’t detect anything.

Wireshark on my PC (connected to the same wifi network through wifi adapter) could see the Dash button on the network.

Looks like it’s a problem with being hard wired rather than wireless. Other people’s rpi3s work when wired to the router - is it possible that the rpi3 is also listening for the dash button via wifi even when physically wired to the router?

I’ll see if I can find an old wifi dongle to plug into the rpi2 to see if that helps diagnose the issue.

Can you try to sniff the ARP request with Wireshark on your PC connected to the wired ethernet port of your router?

If you can’t see it, the router is segmenting the network between wired and wireless not switchiung ARP requests between the two. If this is the case, maybe there is a setting to consider them as a single network.

It sounds to me like you should have a setting in your router to bridge the wired and wireless networks. In DD-WRT there is a checkbox in the advanced wireless setting to bridge or unbridge. For things to work properly in a single large flat network that must be set to bridged.

Thanks @namadori and @mattlward, I’m just trying to get an old version of hassio onto the rpi2 so I can sort out the Ikea issue but will try those suggestions out when I get a chance.

I looked inot ‘bridge mode’ on my router and it doesn’t seemt o be what I’m after, this is the description:

• Bridged: Select Bridged mode if you connect to the Internet on a single computer through dialup. Your Internet service provider will give you the account information you need to set up this connection.

I can’t find anything similar in the other settings.
It’s a talk talk HG633 ‘super router’.

When I’ve got my Ikea stuff working I’ll have another go.

I use to have a similar problem with the HA front end, Pi was hardwired but I could only access it via WiFi regardless of device. Changed my router and that problem went away along with several other unexplainable network issues.

If put my money there.