Amazon Echo Show 5 support Home Assistant

I found today that Amzon Echo Show 5 support Home Assistant trough Amazon Silk and Firefox browser. Just say Alexa, open Silk/Firefox and browse to your Home Assistant address. You can also pin/save your HA site.
It also support camera streaming from HA frontend!

Sorry for bad photos, was in hurry.

6 Likes

How have you found the touch-interface to be? Is it responsive enough? Any other thoughts now that you have had it working for a few weeks?

Touch is good, but nothing special. I am hapoy with it, also use monocle for camera streams

Did you find a way to open home assistant directly via an Alexa command?

It’s a bit complicated to ask Alexa to open silk/firefox and then physically opening home assistant.

It’s not the best, but works for now…

I just use Silk for ONLY home assistant and Firefox for everything else. It will remember the home assistant webpage when you say “Alexa, Open Silk”

4 Likes

How did you make it remember the page? I saved it as a favourite, but i always have to open the page manually, every time after showing the home screen

1 Like

Thanks for the quick heads up. Makes my kitchen beginner complete for a a quick display.
Using an Echo 5, established a new Userid for my HA just to logon here. I am using Blue Iris integration and able to view my local IP cameras in a view. Just what I was looking for, for now !
:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

It’s a shame that Amazon have gone out of their way to cripple these screen-bearing Echo devices. They have an always-on LCD touch screen and could be so good at displaying timely information and control interfaces yet all my Echo Show 5 seems to be good for is showing a clock and suggesting that I ask it why grass is green every 90 seconds - something which Amazon are absolutely resolute in not allowing me to turn off. Every time I look at it my resentment and hatred of it grows just a little bit more

3 Likes

At least they let you turn a bunch of that crap off, but yeah. Try “Alexa, tell me a chicken joke” is on my clock screen right now. I don’t want a chicken joke. I don’t want Alexa to tell me anything really lol.

You could set up a routine to accept a custom speech input such as “alexa show me HA” and link that to open silk browser

2 Likes

For those who want it to always display HA
Something I’m about to work on is an automation using Alexa media player
Just an idea: when motion is detected send speech to Alexa “open silk” then set a refractory period of 5 minutes.
Doesn’t have to be motion but whatever trigger is desired

3 Likes

@sandersc242 how did this go?

Does it work for you? May you share your code? I am also interested in that :slight_smile:

It is working, but it always says “here is Silk”. Even iv volume is 0. And it always shows with toolbar and JS fullscreen switch is not allowed as well. And JS-scrolling is not working as well, then it srolls below toolbar - different from scrolling with finger.

It’s such a pity. I want this devic only with plan android and alexa. This would be a dream.

Thanks for your feedback. I think I better wait for another similar product with better OS then.

Anyone ever perfect this idea?

1 Like

is it still that bad?