Amber Electric (Australia) Custom Component

And it’s gone again… Back to an empty response for GET Sites. Weird eh?

Whoops. forgot to deploy to thing that makes the change permanent. Doing that now. Sorry about that!

That should be sorted (for real) now.

Seems to still be working after ˜4 hours so looks like it’s all sorted - thanks again for all the help!

3 hours is the magic number (the job that would have reset it runs every three hours), so I’m going to call it fixed.

I’m using EMHASS: An Energy Management for Home Assistant to optimise my household loads in light of the crazy prices we are seeing we are seeing across the Australian wholesale market.

Here is today’s plan.

Today’s plan. Feed-in price stays above 60¢/ kWh all day (peaks at $15/ kWh tonight), which is higher than the 40¢ / kWh general price tomorrow morning!

EMHASS daily optimisation is saying to shift all deferrable loads to tomorrow to maximise battery charging (to export over tonight’s peak @ $10-$15) and maximise exports during the day @ 60¢.

A lot of interest in EMHASS from the Australian Amber users facebook group as we try and optimise our way through a crazy electricity market. Redirecting...

2 Likes

Hi, I am having an issue attempting to setup Amber Electric. I put in my API key that I generated, but get a red exclamation mark and it fails.

Any idea how to resolve? I had a look at the HA logs, but could not find anything there to indicate what the problem may be.

I tried the curl example from Amber API documentation from terminal and it worked just fine, returning data.

curl -X ‘GET’ ‘https://api.amber.com.au/v1/sites’ -H ‘accept: application/json’ -H ‘Authorization: Bearer [API KEY INSERTED HERE]’

curl -X ‘GET’ ‘https://api.amber.com.au/v1/state/NSW/renewables/current?next=5&previous=5&resolution=30’ -H ‘accept: application/json’

msedge_2kd9V7MrVs

Does curl -X ‘GET’ ‘https://api.amber.com.au/v1/sites’ -H ‘accept: application/json’ -H ‘Authorization: Bearer [API KEY INSERTED HERE]’ return any sites or just an empty array? If it does return a site, does is it pending or active?

1 Like

Hi thanks for the quick reply @madpilot. I get an empty array when I execute that command.

I should add, that I only signed up to Amber about 1.5 hours ago.

Just wanting to setup automation at home ahead of the switch from my previous provider in a few days time.

Hi @madpilot, not sure if you did anything, if you did, thank you very much for that. It is all working fine now. :slight_smile:

You were just too quick. Usually the API is ready to go straight away, but it can be delayed for… reasons.

The error message sucks - I need to fix that.

1 Like

@madpilot I’m seeing a heartbeat skip in availability of the Amber sensors.

Logger: homeassistant.components.amberelectric
Source: helpers/update_coordinator.py:151
Integration: Amber Electric (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 12:12:10 PM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 12:26:11 PM

Error fetching amberelectric data: Missing price data, skipping update

Yeah, we know - someone is smashing the API. I’m off today, but I’ve seen murmurs of someone looking in to it.

1 Like

Looks like it has stabilised and is functioning correctly now.

Thanks.

Good Morning, I seem to be getting a similar issue as Repairs I try to add Amber Electric with my API key and get an error.

4 days ago I setup my API key in dev tools and tested with curl and was getting an empty array, as I had just setup the API I thought I would just leave it as for a few days in case there is other back end stuff that has to happen for the key to work. I tried it again now and the curl command still gives me an empty array but hangs the curl command so I have to Ctrl-C to get out of it.

When I add the integration in HA I get “No Site Provided” error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Email [email protected]

It’s likely that there was a delay in your site onboarding or you are still on a basic meter (we automatically order a smart meter but they can take a few weeks), but if you email in, I can check for you. Make it attn: Myles and they’ll push it through to me.

We don’t have a smart meter yet, I thought I would still get the power costs data regardless. So it could purely be that I don’t have my smart meter yet (been a month and no word) that the API won’t work until i do?

No, we don’t price basic meters. Because of the way we bill them, your 30-minute usage is based on a synthetic load curve, so there isn’t a huge advantage in knowing the specific price (the app actually shows you your default network tariff).

We are reviewing this though - more and more basic meter API users want the price to get a feel for what is happening even if it isn’t really reflecting their bill.

Sorry mate my writing on that was pore … I meant that if my smart meter is not installed yet does that mean my API key may not work?
I was hoping to get the Amber wholesale rates feed into HA so i could start working on automation rules for my solar & battery while i wait for my smart meter… I am also looking at the emhass stuff as well as that looks good.

Yeah, that’s right.