Ambient Weather API Component

With the news of Weather Underground API access being scuttled those of us that use WU to get weather information to Home Assistant from our own personal weather stations will be in dire need of a alternative come 2019.

While WU states they are going to have an API available for PWS owners we have no idea when this is going to happen.

Currently Ambient Weather offers RESTful And Real-Time APIs.
https://ambientweather.docs.apiary.io/#

Python Module to access the Ambient Weather API. This could be useful to build the component.

@Masterautomate I have a pending pull request with an Ambient Weather PWS sensor component.

2 Likes

do you have the custom component file I could use to pull my data from my weather station? if so, can you let me have it?

@harfordhawk the PR has been merged so the code is on the dev branch in the home assistant repo.

Code: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/blob/dev/homeassistant/components/sensor/ambient_station.py

Docs: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/blob/next/source/_components/sensor.ambient_station.markdown

Or you can wait until next release (Wed?).

thank you! I have sent a request for app key from ambient weather.

Seeing these errors in 89.1, hassOS 2.10. f0d5491eaeda is the configures Ambient Weather Station.

2019-03-12 13:41:09 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry f0d5491eaeda for binary_sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 283, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/binary_sensor/__init__.py", line 63, in async_setup_entry
    return await hass.data[DOMAIN].async_setup_entry(entry)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 135, in async_setup_entry
    raise ValueError('Config entry has already been setup!')
ValueError: Config entry has already been setup!
2019-03-12 13:41:09 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry f0d5491eaeda for sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 283, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/__init__.py", line 50, in async_setup_entry
    return await hass.data[DOMAIN].async_setup_entry(entry)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 135, in async_setup_entry
    raise ValueError('Config entry has already been setup!')
ValueError: Config entry has already been setup!

Can I make this report the actual lux val from ambientweather.net rather than watts/meter^2?

Unfortunately, the units returned by the API are not configurable. That said, there is a fairly straightforward solution via a template sensor:

sensor:
    outdoor_brightness_lux:
        friendly_name: "Side Yard: Brightness"
        value_template: >
          {{ (float(states.sensor.side_yard_solar_rad.state) / 0.0079)|round }}
        unit_of_measurement: lx
        device_class: illuminance