Ambient Weather available locally now. Integration anyone?

This worked like a charm. But, am unable to import data for wind gust in km/h. It fetches and ingests only in mph.

@tlskinneriv I have tried defining the unit of measurement using customize.yaml but that doesnt help as it just changes the unit but never converts the value.

But, however, for temperature and rain, it’s easy to change units.

Please help here as I don’t want to create a new sensor and convert the units from the UI.

@rishikbsr Just put out an update that should cover your conversion issue. The device only sends the data in mph, so we had to set it as such in the integration. I tested with changing the unit in the UI and validated that it would indeed convert to km/h. If this doesn’t solve your problem, please file an issue in the GitHub repo for the integration.

@capritzl Got a list of the sensors that are missing or you are wanting to see? Latest update should be supporting all of the sensors provided by the built-in HA integration for Ambient Weather. If it didn’t already exist in the built-in HA integration, then likely I haven’t implemented it. There may be one or two outliers to this currently. If the device provides more data that you’re not seeing, then I’d be happy to work to get the values into HA. If it’s a calculated field based on data coming in, that can be worked, too. Feel free to open an issue on the GitHub repo for the integration with more information for what you’re looking for also.

For everybody else: new update, more sensors, better data integration: https://github.com/tlskinneriv/awnet_local/releases/tag/v0.3.0.

I set up my new station with GitHub - neilenns/ambientweather2mqtt: Converts Ambient Weather data to MQTT events and it works great.

@tlskinneriv
I just got a WS-2902D weather station and your add on and integration were exactly what I wanted. I just installed them in HA this afternoon and they are working great so far. Thank you so much for sharing this.

It is much appreciated!

Now I just need to get my weather station mounted up on a pole. :grin:

Richard

Version 1.0.0 is live! Among other things, here’s what you’ll see:

• Lots of sensor additions (44 to be exact)
  • Dynamic entities: no more needing to have 100+ entities in your HA; the integration will now add entities as transmitted by the device (existing installations will have a little cleanup to do with old entities)
  • Config flow validation: this will help ease some confusion on initial setup
  • Timestamp sensor persistence: things like Last Rain and Last Lightning will persist over restarts of HA now

Thanks for all the support and patience for fixes!

Hello,
Is the WS-1965 compatible with this integration?

I have not personally tested, but if your station supports uploading data in the Ambient Weather format to a custom server, then it should work.

I got this integration setup but it took a while. I thought I would share a couple mistakes I made in case it helps anyone:

1. Don’t include : characters in MAC address when configuring.
  2. I had to use IP address of Home Assistant in Ambient Weather device’s “custom server” setup page. The server name did not resolve.

Looks great so far!

I think I have it all setup correctly, but I am not seeing any entities show up in the entities list under the name I gave the device. Am I missing a step?

Nevermind. I just had to wait a minute for the data to appear and now I have 29 entities. Great work on this!

Thanks @tlskinneriv! Just set this up after the official integration / API crapped out. Really happy with this integration.

Deleted the official / API integration, set this up using the same “friendly name” and all but the UV index sensors worked immediately with my previously-configured dashboards!

Can you please give us some short install instructions? Integration installed fine from HACS but I can’t seem to be able to install the Add-on…

1 Like

I am having same issue of no entities showing up. The add-on is definitely feeding data to the integration, i can see the logs. but no entities are being created.

I found these directions really helpful in getting this integration working. It’s great to have the weather data working again since the built-in web integration quit working last night and is still broken. Also after adding the add-on repository it took a few minutes before the AWNET to HASS add-on was available in the list and could be installed.

Yesterday’s API issues caused me to go local as well. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get the various components installed and working, so thought I’d provide these instructions for what worked for me.

1. Install AWNET to HASS Add-on:

In Add-On Store, add this repository: GitHub - tlskinneriv/hassio-addons
Reboot HA
Search in Add-ons for AWNET to HASS and install
Start the Add-on

1. Install AWNET on phone:
    Download AWNET app from Android Play Store
    Make sure connected to same WIFI network as Ambient weather station, and run AWNET
    Weatherstation should appear as listed device
    Tap on device listing for menu; fill in Ambient account email address and MAC address of weatherstation; hit register
    Select update frequency and save

2. Configure custom weather server on weatherstation:

From Settings, select Weather Server, then Custom.
Fill in IP address of Home Assistant Installation and port 7080 (the default port for AWNET to HASS Add-on)
Fill in path with /?

1. Install and set up Ambient Weather Local in HA integrations:

From HA Settings, select Devices and Services, then Integrations.
Search for Ambient Weather Local and install; supply a friendly name for your weatherstation and its MAC address.

3 Likes

I tried this with my model 1965 and the android awnet app can’t find my weatherstation. anyone else using this model?

Thank you for this write up, it was the best summary of the install I have found

Hi @tlskinneriv

Thank you for setting this up and following instructions went fine. It was just a bit weird to not have everything in the readme page. I can send out a PR to do that if you’d like.

Additionally have you considered exposing a weather entity with the integration? The forecast part would not have data but using the weather entity would make adding it to dashboards easier.

If you haven’t already taken a look and dismissed this, I could take a stab at it.

Hi!

PRs are welcome for code and doc updates on either the integration or the add-on repos.

I have not yet considered exposing a weather entity. The integration was originally designed to provide the entities that the built-in integration does. Based on the documentation for the weather entity, there’s a requirement for the current weather conditions. I don’t believe any of the stations provide that directly in the data, so we’d likely have to deduce the condition description from the conditions provided by the stations. This could definitely be a calculated entity using the same concepts that are already used for the other. We could also set the condition to ‘unknown’, if that’s an option, to be able to expose the sensor data to the weather entity.

I’ll take a look in the docs a little deeper in the next couple days and see what is possible here. Would likely be a nice addition, especially with the UI updates the HA team has been doing.

I apologize in advance for this long note. I am very frustrated and do not have a clue as to how to move forward.

I had a logia weather station and used the weather underground API to import the data into HA. That API stopped working a few weeks ago, and having read that there is a LAN integration for Ambient I invested in an Ambient 2902 weather station. It is up and working and my data are being displayed on the ambientweather.net server.

I skipped the Ambient Weather Station cloud integration and installed the awnet_local integration manually – creating the appropriate folders, etc.

I could not find any way to enter the MAC address or friendly name for the weather station through the HA UI. I located two lines in the const.py file that had assignments:
CONF_MAC = “MAC Address”
CONF_NAME = “weather_station_name”
I edited these two lines to put in my own information.

I then found the hassio-addon in HACS and added that integration.

Eventually I figured out how to add the AWNET-to-HASS add-on.

I configured the local server options on the weather station (with my HA ip address, etc.).

After a few restarts of HAOS I found that the log file for the Addon showed it was regularly getting weather data from my Ambient weather station.

But I have no idea how to display these data on a dashboard or use it in an automation – its just there in the log file.

Later I installed the Ambient Weather Station (cloud) integration (with API Key and Application key) and after restarting HA this worked. I built a dashboard with these entities. Presumably these were not local but via the internet.

But that stopped working two days ago and so I have returned to the local version. I tried to add the Ambient Weather Station - local integration but get this error message:
Config flow could not be loaded: (“message”:“Invalid handler specified”}

I am without a clue as to how to get the local integration working.
thanks for any suggestions.