Amcrest video doorbell AD110 initial impressions

Hi, i am very interested on buy this doorbell, but have a question the ding dong event xD, can be captured by a sensor on ha to trigger some automation?? or is just with motion detection ?, i really want to trigger a automation when somebody knock the door, like pause the tv

AFAIK, there is no access to the doorbell event from this yet. I have the old-fashion electromagnetic doorbell which had a door sensor I added and integrated in HA. We’ll need real integration of this doorbell for HA.

Fantastic work - I purchased this doorbell (arrived this morning) and it took me around an hour to get it installed and in home assistant (while having dinner tonight)

one issue is that I can’t seem to get the ‘last motion’ stream working - can you confirm your settings for this part?

Welcome to the community.
Not quite sure what ‘last motion’ stream is, would you please describe?

If he means streaming the recorded activity from the doorbell camera SD-Card (or NVR) - no can do.

If he means playing back ‘camera.record’ mp4 recordings from motion detection, lovelace webpage/iframe card can do that.

If you don’t have an old Android phone that you can dedicate to this, an Android emulator for Linux should work to run a Tasker/SmatHome app instance, but I’ve never tried that. Many to choose from - Andro, Genymotion…

See this post for Tasker configuration to call Home Assistant services. There is also a Home Assistant plugin for Tasker that is optional, and might simplify the config a bit.

@GaryOkie, good tasker idea for the button event workaround.

In my original post/edit, I did test to directly play the ‘last motion’ recording on the doorbell’s SD card:

Found a way to view sd card recording in VLC:
rtsp://[user]:[password]@[cameraIP]:[port]/cam/playback?channel=1&startTime=YEAR_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS&endTime=YEAR_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS, for example, startTime=2020_02_16_00_00_00 &endTime=2020_02_16_23_59_59 will play the last recorded video on 2020-02-16 from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59, ....

Haven’t done much since.
I’ll try setting up the rtsp stream as generic camera and tie that in with my button press sensor to test 'last motion" streaming, maybe even archiving those streams.

Be careful @JTPublic with that playback command. I’m not 100% certain, but it was right after I tried that command my live display went dark, but everything else worked. I had to factory reset it. You mentioned you had to factory reset yours as well after your display blanked out.

I knew better than to attempt any HTTP CGI command that changes settings, which are well known to mess up that doorbell. A playback from SD-Card command shouldn’t harm it, but I don’t know what else I did that would have corrupted it.

Yes, that’s a concern and why I did not do much with that since.
For playback testings, sometimes the doorbell will lose wifi connection (restarted?) and back online later. I suspected bad parameter values crashing and rebooting the doorbell.

@jtpublic - A more complete caution is do not attempt to configure the AD110 via ANY software other than Amcrest SmartHome. This includes Amcrest’s HTTP API, their ipconfig tool and Amcrest/Dahua NVR’s, as well as BlueIris. Especially do not attempt to change motion detection options except via SmartHome. The RTSP cam/playback command to retrieve SD-Card images must be avoided too.

However, I have tried many HTTP API “GET” commands, and most worked fine to retrieve info. Some failed with error messages indicating that they weren’t supported (such as get a snapshot). Please avoid issuing any API commands that will change configurations as the AD110 will very likely need to be factory reset (or worse - bricked).

To dump the entire AD110 configuration to a file (some quite interesting stuff in it):
http://<ip_address>/cgi-bin/Config.backup?action=All

Video/Audio formats:
http://<ip_address>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=Encode

Motion Detect current settings:
http://<ip_address>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=MotionDetect

HTTP API Version:
http://<ip_address>/cgi-bin/IntervideoManager.cgi?action=getVersion&Name=CGI

SYSTEM Info:
http://<ip_address>/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getSystemInfo

Doorbell Name
http://<ip_address>/cgi-bin/magicBox.cgi?action=getMachineName

…and quite a few others of lesser interest.

Agree, updated warning in OP.

To add to the list,
Getting rtsp stream:
http://<ip_address:port>/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=<0 or 1>
where 0=1920x1080, 1=640x480

Hey,
Cheers for the welcome (although this is actually my 2nd account - I made a new Github because I lost my old one - started it pre-password manager and it never got imported :man_facepalming:)

Yeah, it was the snapshot URL, it doesn’t freeze it for me (that happened on Mjpeg for me) - has anyone looked at one of the dumped configs?

There are a couple of interesting things:

• DVRIP
  • T2UServer
  • Push message config

I’ll not be able to more probing till either tonight or the weekend, but there might be something in there

Yep, quite a few interesting nuggets of info to be found in the config.backup dump.

The “DVRIP” info in the config does not reflect anything related to my current Dahua NVR (DVR) connection, so I assume this is possibly a placeholder for future DVR support. This would be especially welcome in the app to allow retrieving motion clips from the DVR instead of SD-Card or Cloud.

The T2UServer info does appear to be an active configuration for the app to talk to a cloud service to provide 2-way talk to the doorbell remotely.

Is anyone else having loads of unwanted motion alerts? It keeps picking up cars driving by on a street that is 60’-70’ away from doorbell. Funny, since the PIR motion maximum range is documented at 10 meters (~33’). I have the AD110 range set to 1 (lowest sensitivity) and the red block out zone completely covering the street and half the front yard.

I am wondering if the Amcrest Motion Detection documentation is wrong. In other Amcrest cameras, the zone you highlight in color is the area you want to enable motion detection in.

This AD110 doc says the exact opposite: "Use you finger to highlight the area(s) on the screen that you would like to block motion detection events. " What’s also weird is their example highlights the entire view in red. So the example blocks everything?

In any case, I’ve tried reversing the block out zone and not seeing an improvement. Now trying turning off the zone completely. I may have to resort to completely disabling motion sensing in this doorbell and adding my own PIR sensor on the porch ceiling pointing down.

EDIT: right after I made this change, 2 cars went by. No alerts. (Range=1). WTF is going on with that red block (or detect?) zone I wonder? It’s also very windy and all sorts of movement from plants, trees, shadows. Not sure PIR sensor should be reacting to that though.

I think there’s a PR that fixes this:
https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/30932

edit: if I understand your query correctly

the red part is where you want to detect motion

I’m using the FFMPEG camera, not Amcrest component (even though I have contributed enhancements to it). I will switch to HA Amcrest if we can ever find a way for it to support snapshots.

The red zone is supposed to be the blocked area according to the docs, but I think it’s wrong. If I enable it, my motion sensors went batshit crazy today… Triggering several times a minute! This did not use to be the case. This was coincident with the SmartHome app being very slow to connect to the camera and sometimes failing to connect, even though the wifi signal shows good.

So I disabled the red zone and the motion detect craziness went away. I still need to do more tests to see how close to the door people get before it will trigger, and set the distance accordingly.

I will also reboot the doorbell, but for now, sanity returns.

Just thinking out loud, what about cleaning the pir and camera len?

done that, thanks. I’m beginning to suspect the doorbell processor got bogged down somehow causing it to not being able to process the detection zone properly. Adding to this suspicion is that for the past 3 weeks I’ve had it installed, I’ve not had any app connection problems, but now I am getting intermittent failures to connect. These two issues coincide. And after completely clearing the detection zone, no false alerts since.

I’ll need to recheck the transformer voltage as that can lead to weird problems if not sufficient, but it was fine before.

This is what I thought too. The official Amcrest support info for motion detection says otherwise. I registered and left a comment for the author to confirm or correct this (mis)information.