Just installed my Amcrest AD110 wifi video doorbell the other day, has been testing and integrated into HA.
- nothing standout as high quality but adequate
- nice touch with included screwdriver/drill bit, extra faceplate, optional wires.
- mostly painless, made sure there is strong wifi and right size transformer for power
- plenty of installation/review video online, I followed digiblurDIY
- Installation location can be a problem, see below.
Amcrest Smart Home App:
- this is different app from the Amcrest View Pro I used for my other Amcrest camera, they do not work across product types.
- basic live view and stored video playback.
- configuration options are quite limited, and no video config at all as of version 3.3.2.
- app connection has been spotty, about 30% of times video disconnected/failed.
- motion detection zones are the grid map you mark on/off. I cannot turn off an area without Clear setting to start over.
- chime kit works partly for me, instead of ding-dong, now doorbell just ding or dong. On-camera speaker chimes loud.
- notification when someone rings the doorbell is speedy, 2-way talk sound quality is acceptable.
- Video quality is good, even in SD.
- I set motion detection range to low end because of nearby trees. Detection was sensitive enough and not too many false positive, yet.
WARNING: using and/or testing any non-official software and commands with this device may brick it. (I already hard reset mine couple of times testing AMCREST HTTP API, be warned)
- I used the current amcrest integration, camera and sensors showed up correctly even though AD110 is not ‘officially’ supported. ffmpeg_argument to change resolution did not work.
- I have enabled stream in config and the camera works well with picture cards but only with camera_view: live. Video connection is actually better than their app but with 3-10sec delays.
- I did not found a sensor for doorbell ring status, I’m using my door sensor hack doorbell for that.
- This is my first video doorbell but have other Amcrest camera, so I cannot compare to other video doorbell, but the doorbell functions as claimed.
- The video is good like other Amcrest camera I have.
- Usable in HA with current amcrest integration with limitations.
- Their app needs work!! No video config in app, cannot change frame rate, night vision toggle, etc.
- Location problems, like too close to door frame/wall, the reset/sd card side may be blocked, IR reflection from frame/wall makes night vision useless (a wedge to angle the face of doorbell away from reflecting surface may help)
- no option to download video to local NAS/FTP etc., may have to try more amcrest API.
- a lot of the existing Amcrest http API works, like rebooting:
- rtsp stream url works, subtype=0 for HD, 1 for SD:
I got the doorbell before I received their rebate offer. I was going to do this write-up anyway, works out well
- Found a way to view sd card recording in VLC:
rtsp://user:[email protected][cameraIP]:[port]/cam/playback?channel=1&startTime=YEAR_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS&endTime=YEAR_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS, for example, startTime=2020_02_16_00_00_00 &endTime=2020_02_16_23_59_59 will play the last recorded video on 2020-02-16 from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59, (playback will cut off video started or continued outside of startTime/endTime). Need to figure how to use it with HA notification.
- was testing different APIs, AD110 live view stopped working all of a sudden everywhere, recording play and settings still worked. Needed to hard reset (press/hold reset button until led blinks and hear HARD RESET IN PROGRESS) to get live view back.
Thanks to @GaryOkie, definitely stay away from HTTP/cgi-bin API for this doorbell camera which will hang this camera and need hard reset.
If doorbell hangs (offline on app, no response to doorbell button, led on), disconnect power until led ring is off, and hard reset as described in Edit 1 to start over with setup. If you want to keep existing recordings on the SD card, take it out and backup before starting setup. After set up, better reformat the SD card.