Android Auto integration

Would really love if HA could get some love in Android Auto to allow the app to show up in AA with ability to switch devices on and off while in the car.

I believe this wasn’t possible before, but recently AA allowed more third party integrations, and Smartthings is also now available in AA.

Is this possible?

It may not be exactly what you want, but you can already use Home Assistant with Android Auto if you have it linked to Google Assistant.
For some time now, shortcuts for Google Assistant can be added in Android Auto. I’ve been using that for a while now to open my garage door, for example.
I find, for me, these shortcuts even better than a complete app, because I want to perform the actions in the car as quickly as possible, without having to click through a GUI.

Thanks, I’ve tried that also, but Google assistant doesn’t support routines in AA, so I’m using a “turn on the garage door” command. Would love to do several things with one command.
Open the gate, disarm the alarm, open the garage.

Also, even though the command seems to work and the door opens, Google assistant always replies “I’m offline, cannot process this command” or something like that.

Ever noticed this?

Then why don’t you just make a virtual switch that triggers an automation/routine and link it? :wink:

Mhmm, never noticed this offline message for me

That could work yes thanks. Would still love to have HA in Android Auto though

1 Like

Hello.
about having a HA on Android Auto. It is possible.
First thing is to have DuckDNS installed and up and running.
Second is to go to google play and install FORMATA CONTROL.
It serves as Youtube player for AA BUT it also has BROWSER.
Third is to access AA on your android phone and enable developer options and enable unknown sources. To open developer options you need to scroll down to VERSION section and click on that for 10 times. You get some kind of notification that you enabled it. In your menu ( three dots ) you will now find developer options. Click on that scroll to bottom and enable unknown sources.
Than connect phone to car and you will find earphone app FORMATA AUTO (or something like that).
Open the app and at the bottom you have world icon as browser.
Open that and type your DUCKDNS domain ( example : http://yourdomain.duckdns.org:8123 )
Sing in with your HA us and pass than click " Stay logged in " and you are god to go.
You can also make a bookmark for browser but if you wont leave that page every time you open it you will be redirected to site as last visited.

I got it working with no problem at all. only minus is resolution of my car display so it is not as cool as it is on pc but hey the stuff works!!!
I hope it will help you guys.
And sorry for broken english xD

Link for FERMATA AUTO:

A bit pictures to prove it works:

It’s the past, web browsing is ended with Formata… https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto/comments/nexr75/fermata_autos_youtube_web_no_longer_working_on/

well that is strange … my app is updated and still works without problem.
last update was on 30.10.2021 version 1.8.6