Android IP Webcam as a camera plus sensors!

Am I right that there is no light sensor with IP Webcam?
I can’t find one in the sensor graph, but it would be great if there was one.

Is the battery level sensor device dependant? It’s not there in my configuration.

Sensors not showing in my frontend with the following configuration:

android_ip_webcam:
  - host: 10.0.0.160
    name: "live @ the Residentie"
    username: #USERNAME#
    password: #PASSWORD#
    sensors:
    - battery_level
    - battery_temp
    - motion

P.s. I enabled motion detection in the app on the phone and the battery level is displayed in the overlay.

Hi Bob. Why don’t you try it without the sensors part in your config so that it just shows everything it can - then see if battery level shows up there.
That would be a start in debugging the issue.

@lindsayward I started without the sensors, I added them because they were not showing. I guess for some reason it’s not sent properly from my device.

I don’t see any effect from adding the sensors: and switches: keys.
I want to be able to select only certain sensors and switches that my tablet supports (e.g. it doesn’t have a torch), but it still shows everything.
Is the intention that only the sensors and switches listed here show up and the others are hidden?
@robbiet480?

After updating to 0.40.1, all the missing sensors show up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wondered about updating, but it’s not in the release notes for 40.1. I’ll try it…
EDIT: nothing changed when updating from 40 to 40.1 - I still see all sensors and switches even with the keys in the config… but I don’t see ‘light’.

Im running 0.40.1 and dont see any sensors. Do i need to add them in some where?

Has anyone gotten torch running ? All switches seems not working

1 Like

HI all, can a cheap android tablet be used both as a webcam/sensor node using the Android IP component AS WELL AS a HADASHBOARD display? Cheers

I have an automation setup which sends a picture from the cam when I’m not home and motion is detected.
However, the picture is allways upside-down dueo to the placing of my cam (better to conceal the wires). The picture on my frontend is displayed fine (Orientation option set to Upside down).

Is there any way to rotate the picture before sending it?

U can turn pic in the app

I allready did that :wink:

Then the other way around…:wink:

Yup, I do this with Amazon Fire Tablet. There is an option to run in background in the app settings.

1 Like

I had this issue so I wiped the phone and started fresh. On the new image I did NOT log into Google as it adds a lot of overhead. This prevents you from using the Play Store but you can install the app by downloading the .apk file through a web browser. I also disabled every stock app that I could. It has been working great every since then!

So i got the ip webcam platform up and running with my old samsung galaxy ace3.
But none of the sensors shows any value just (-)
Have i missed something or is my phone not supporting this?

android_ip_webcam:
  - host: xxx.xxx.x.xxx
    name: Webcam
    scan_interval: 10
    sensors:
      - audio_connections
      - battery_level
      - battery_temp
      - battery_voltage
      - light
      - motion
      - pressure
    switches:
      - exposure_lock
      - ffc
      - focus
      - gps_active
      - night_vision
      - overlay
      - torch
      - whitebalance_lock
      - video_recording

http://prntscr.com/ex912j looks like this
the image feed and switches works fine

thnx

Did you turn on sensor reporting in the app?

I just installed this using your exact config and it’s working for me. But I noticed that sensor reporting is not turned on be default.

No, i did not. Lol :slight_smile: it works now

Good to hear - I saw your post before I even installed it so when I set it up and went through each option, I figured that was the issue and turned it on, then came here to respond to your post.

BTW, if anyone is looking for it, here are template sensors to provide conversions for imperial measurements on the two environmental sensors:

#
#
#  Android IP Webcam Sensor conversions
#
#

webcam_ambient_temp:
       friendly_name: Webcam Ambient Temperature
       unit_of_measurement: "°F"
       value_template: "{{ (float(states.sensor.webcam_battery_temperature.state) * 1.8 + 32) | round(2) }}"

webcam_pressure_inches:
       friendly_name: Webcam Pressure Inches
       unit_of_measurement: "inches"
       value_template: "{{ (float(states.sensor.webcam_pressure.state) * 0.0295301) | round(2) }}"

Important note: if copying and pasting this, be aware that the degree symbol may cause issues unless you make sure whatever editor you use is saving in UTF-8 format. (Learned this the hard way a ways back!)

2 Likes