Android TV states no longer working - Shield Experience 9

I upgraded my Shield Pro 2017 to Shield Experience 9 / Android 11 and play states are no longer working for any app. It was previously working for years. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

The media card is correctly pulling images so I’m fairly confident the adb connection is still working, but the state remains idle regardless of which app is playing content.

I’ve checked out the other threads but they don’t seem to fit this scenario. I’m guessing this is entirely due to the shield update, but I’m not sure what I can do to fix it. Anyone else having the same issue?

1 Like

This is an issue with Android 10 and above not just the Shield.

Interesting. I don’t seem to have this issue with Chromecast with Google TV, which is running Android 10.

Chromecast is a different protocol.

See

Thanks I was able to find some help in the github issue linked in that alert.

Hello, may I ask if your Chromecast with Google TV will display media information and cover on the card when playing YouTube or Netflix?
My app will not display any information, only the name of Netflix.

I don’t use netflix or watch youtube on those devices. But if you’re using the cast entity, I don’t believe that ever displays a cover image. If you go to Developer Tools > States, you can see the available attributes when it’s playing something. If you set it up as an android tv entity, you might see more data.

I have set it to Android TV, which can display many signal sources, but it can only display the main interface thumbnail of Google TV. When I play Netflix or YouTube, it still does not display the cover, but a black background.