Announcements to google home don't sync

I’m having a lot of issues trying to get announcements to play over my google home devices. When HA plays an announcement it will play the start noise (annoyingly at different intervals on different devices) then it will sometimes make the announcement and sometimes not. When it does make the announcement it often only announces on 1 device. Sometimes on a couple.

If I force a second announcement right away, it works perfectly. But the first one always fails and I cannot figure out why.

My home network is a pfsense router, Aruba 2910 POE+ switch, 2x unifi 6pro access points and HA running on a Hyper-V instance on a Dell R720 server. None of my devices are lower than -70db of wireless signal (well within most performance listings). I have my server, AP’s and google devices on the same VLAN. I’ve tried using a different switch and access points (cisco sg200 and ruckus r610). I’ve tried configuring IGMP Proxy on PFsense allowing unsecure addresses into my network. I’ve tried configuring IGMP on the switch and access points. I’ve tried using multicast enhancement on the access points.

None of it seems to make any difference in the behavior.

The google devices are also out of sync with the Nest doorbell if that gives any indications.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think it’s something to do with timing. From my understanding (someone correct me if I’m wrong), the announcements have to go out through the Google cloud. It doesn’t act like a local multicast protocol.

I changed the announcements. So now, every time there’s an announcement, I actually send 2. The first one is a short “incoming announcement”. This initial announcement just sets up the connection and rarely plays. Then I add a delay for 8 seconds. Then I play the desired announcement. It has been more stable. But there are still some times when an announcement doesn’t play at all or it only plays on one device.