Announcing MQTT/Android bridging app: Zanzito. Beta testers wanted!

Hi all,
a quick update on Zanzito’s status.
The official release has been postponed because, mainly following your requests, I decided to develop an Administrative module for Zanzito. This means that, within Zanzito, you will be able to:

• have access to a list of currently registered Zanzito devices on your MQTT;
  • manage remotely their preferences;
  • send a few commands (such as restart, reconnect, take picture, play alarm and so on… the list will be expanded in the future);
  • manage remotely their Activities and Reports (i.e. custom topics), including multiple selections and copy&cut&paste between devices;
  • view their logs;
  • view their specific position on map.

This is taking some time, as you can imagine, but I’m almost ready to release a new beta version, in a few days I hope.

Also, I would like to pre-announce that consequently the pricing schema for Zanzito is going to change and there will be:

• a “Base” license that will unlock all the current functionalities in Zanzito at 2,99 USD/EUR
  • a “Full” license that will additionally unlock the admin module, at 5,99 USD/EUR.

It will be possibile to upgrade from base to full just for the price difference.

Of course, anyone in possession of a license at the time of the next release will be automatically upgraded at Full.

Stay tuned :wink:
gl

Hi @MrMep,

FIrst I would like to thank you for a wonderful app. I am playing a bit with Home Automation and it seems to work a lot better than Owntracks I was experimenting few months ago with Owntracks but when I tried Zanzito it offered a better experience.

After trying out Zanzito some weeks ago I was amazed with what it can do and your support and engagement so immediately bought the license.

I would like to ask have there been any changes in the latest version of the app?
Seems like I get 2 Android activity icons now - 1 for running Zanzito app and the other when it searches for GPS (doesn’t bother me much) or saying this is demo and it will disconnect (later it dissapears).

One other thing - seems like location tracking doesn’t work at all if I disable High precision. I haven’t changed this setting (if it was there earlier :slight_smile: ) but now it doesn’t find me on map unless I turn on High precision. Checking at the same time in Google maps finds my exact location.

Other similar experiences?

Hi @RogueCrow,
thanks!

I haven’t changed the Location part of the app in the recent releases.

The second notification you see (the one about the GPS) is a system notification, it is not controlled by Zanzito, and should be a consequence of the activation of “High precision” in Zanzito’s prefs.
Could you check in your System preferences and see that you have the Location active and either on High precision or Energy saving (or similar) and not GPS only?

If you have “energy saving” selected in system prefs, you should disable High precision in Zanzito.

thanks
gl

1 Like

My location settings are set to High precision (GPS, WIFI, mobile NWs).

I believe the GPS notification can be hidden in my phone but I don’t mind it.

High precision is currently disabled in Zanzito - the consequence is - NO LOCATION FIX on main screen of Zanzito. The moment I turn on High precision in Zanzito and reconnect it says LOCATION FIX.

I am not completely sure that I had High precision set to disabled earlier when I tested Zanzito, but I expected it would be able to at least get an approximate location (like Google maps does it with GPS turned off)

Absolutely yes, that’s how I’ve been using my devices for months now and it works (and so it works on other users’ devices, I guess), so there must be a problem somewhere.

So, checklist:

• location has to be system enabled;
  • it must not be on GPS only if you don’t use “High precision” in Zanzito;
  • Zanzito has been granted the proper permissions;

If all of the above are checked, Zanzito should be able to determine the location. If not, we will have to go deeper: I could send you a more verbose logging version and see what’s the problem…

1 Like

Like said earlier - checklist was fine.

Rebooted the phone, retested - everything seems fine. So I guess the app and settings were fine just some temporary phone issue I guess.

Thanks for the support :slight_smile: !

1 Like

any word on the official release date?

Hi

I think there’s still a problem with MQTT authorization: check username, password, port and that SSL/TLS is not active on that port. Also, if you have ACL permissions active on mosquitto, the user you use with FIND should be able to read/write any topic starting with your FIND group name.

To debug, you can subscribe to <your-find-group-name>/# from any mqtt client and see if something is published.

Zanzito should give the number of APs found and sent to MQTT, so neither that seems to be working, maybe for the same reason…

Let us know!
gl

username, password, and mqtt port are all definitely correct. Not sure how to tell if ssl/tls is active on the port though ive never set anything for ssl/tls.

Also, if you have ACL permissions active on mosquitto, the user you use with FIND should be able to read/write any topic starting with your FIND group name.

i dont think ive ever setup acl permissions. The only thing i did was activate mqtt that came with hassbian by doing

sudo systemctl enable mosquitto

then i created a username and password by doing

sudo mosquitto_passwd -c /etc/mosquitto/pwfile IKROWNI

i start find by doing

./find -mqtt localhost:1883 -mqttadmin IKROWNI -mqttadminpass MYPASSWORD &

is there something special i have to do after changing line 33 in mqtt.go i dont really understand the building parts of all of this and in the one message you said to replace line 33 and then build it. I thought i already built it when i went through the install steps for find. Do i need to rebuild it? if so whats the command to rebuild it?

Hi all,
as announced, a new beta version (hopefully the last one before release) is available on the Play store.
What’s new:

• New Admin module;
  • New Activities & Reports interface;
  • Added topics auto-discovery;
  • Added on shake activation of Activities;
  • Added preference for TTS Audio channel;
  • Added support for multiple Home SSIDs, Home host port number and SSL connection option;
  • If Home host or Home server port are empty, the main host configuration will be used;
  • “Backup&Restore” pref is now included in “Remote administration”;
  • New licensing scheme;
  • Bug fixing;

Apart from the new already announced Administration module, I’ve also added an auto-discovery screen for topics: basically a subscription to # from where your can directly create Acivities and Reports: I hope you’ll find this useful as much as I did!

Everything is explained in the manual, but as always I’m at your disposal for any clarification and/or request.

Thanks!
gl

Definitely yes! You can restart following the installation instructions right after the download part (which obviously you must not redo).

EDIT:
it should be:

$ cd find
$ go get ./...
$ go build

I suspect it should be /home/pi/.gvm/pkgsets/go1.7
but I’m not a GO expert, sorry…

okay so i think im making a little bit of progress now. It looks like the find server is starting properly now. I tried doing a scan in my office and i saw the app open a notification saying that it “sent 9 ap’s” i waited about 10m and the number never changed so i clicked the notification and it disappeared.

I went to http:192.168.0.14:8003 and i see the find server login page. I entered the group name i have set in zanzito for find and it lets me in. But when i try to scan any of the other rooms in my house the notification doesnt say anything other than

FIND: learning

EDIT:

when i click learn in zanzito this pops up in putty

Got valid MQTT request for group phonetracking, user james_phone

EDIT 2: I used the official find app and was able to add all the rooms in my house to the find server. Now when i go into each room and restart zanzito it reports the room im in, but if i just walk into the room and sit my phone down it doesnt change the status to the new room and after a while if i pick my phone up and unlock it then the update goes through.

Hi, glad you’re almost there! :slight_smile:

Do you have a power saving mode active or some other phone setting that deactivates background updates or WiFi?

Not that I know of. When I go to battery I get this

I don’t have any apps that would change that setting either.

Not sure it’s a power saving issue though even with my phone turned on and walking around nothing is changing. But if I turn zanzito off and back on by tapping the dragonfly it reports just fine. It just doesn’t seem to do it automatically.

Ok, it might depend on how you setup the updates in Zanzito: FIND updates go with all other updates, instantly if you selected so, or at every heartbeat at the interval you indicated.

In the Mqtt connection settings I have instant, and heartbeat checked. And interval is set at 90.

I even turned on High precision to see if that would work.

I also still can’t scan properly. Like I said the find app works fine at sending the aps to the find server but zanzito doesn’t even seem to start scanning it just pops up the notification and doesn’t do anything from there.

Is “only when at home” checked?

If I understood well:

• FIND is enabled
  • You inserted a group name
  • It does send updates if you restart
  • You managed to learn at least once with Zanzito

We could try something, if you’re will to do so: you could connect to test.mosquitto.org without username and password (and without TLS) and activate “Remote administration”: I could see your current preferences from remote and have a direct check. I’ll be available in the next hour.

EDIT: send me a PM if you’re on test.mosquitto.org :wink:

Is “only when at home” checked?

yes

If I understood well:

• FIND is enabled
  • You inserted a group name
  • It does send updates if you restart
  • You managed to learn at least once with Zanzito

all yes

We could try something, if you’re will to do so: you could connect to test.mosquitto.org without username and password (and without TLS) and activate “Remote administration”: I could see your current preferences from remote and have a direct check. I’ll be available in the next hour.

sorry i didnt catch you last night but im available whenever you are. Just let me know when you have a chance to take a look again and ill get everything setup for it.

Can this replace Owntracks? E.g. report position to the HASS map?

I currently run Owntracks on my phone and would like to avoid extra apps