Announcing MQTT/Android bridging app: Zanzito. Beta testers wanted!

Hello everyone,
I have developed an Android app that connects almost any Android device to an MQTT server, it’s called Zanzito.
I developed this application with Home Assistant in mind (I made a few contributions to HA source code and I am using it personally), so I think integration is not difficult at all.

With Zanzito you can send to your server/home automation system:

• Your current location;
  • The values of the hardware sensors in your phone (i.e. battery level, ambient temperature, light level and so on);
  • Pictures from your phone (manually or at a given interval).
  • Any other information you wish, through MQTT publishing to your own custom topics. For example, you can send a message to switch a light on, or activate your home alarm system.

You can receive:

• Text messages and notifications;
  • Audible alarms;
  • SMS text messages to be sent through your phone.
  • Any other information (including pictures), through MQTT subscriptions to your own custom topics

Zanzito also supports:

• SSL/TLS connections to the MQTT broker and dual host configuration (public/local addresses) with home WiFi auto-detection.
  • Custom voice commands for any publishing topic (“Activity”) added by the user and, EXPERIMENTALLY, continuous voice recognition.
  • Text to speech functionality (TTS) also via MQTT.
  • FIND (www.internalpositioning.com) for room presence detection.

You can also see a map with the locations of all users connected to your system, and a photo gallery with the last pictures sent to the system.

You can find a custom notifier component here

Zanzito’s page on Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.barbaro.zanzito

Here’s is the main webpage:
http://www.barbaro.it/cms/index.php/83-zanzito

it contains a few links, particularly to the User manual:

where you can find also a few examples of Zanzito’s integration in Home Assistant.

For *support requests, please use Zanzito’s support forum.

UPDATE (2017/05/11): Zanzito now supports Text to speech and, experimentally, continuous voice recognition.

UPDATE (2017/05/01): a HA custom notifier component for Zanzito is now available for testing, please see here

UPDATE (2017/04/30): Zanzito now supports FIND for internal navigation, for both tracking and learning. Added a minimal JSON formatted payloads support.

UPDATE (2017/04/20): Zanzito now includes a password protection for parental control. Also, the location tracking is already compatible with the new upcoming HA component mqtt_json tracker.

UPDATE (2017/04/06): The closed beta testing phase is over. Everyone can now go to:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/it.barbaro.zanzito, become a tester and download the app.

UPDATE (2017/04/04): Now Zanzito offers custom Voice commands for any custom publishing topic.

UPDATE (2017/03/29): Now Zanzito supports SSL/TLS connections and dual server configuration (public/local addresses) with home WiFi auto-detection.

I’m looking for about 50 beta testers who can help me fix the app before its official launch. The beta testing in itself will begin in a few days.

Here are a few necessary steps to become beta tester (sorry, it mainly depends on google play store rules):

1. If you are interested, send me a message to: [email protected] with your google account email. Once the closed beta testing starts, I will send you a link from where become beta tester and download the app.
  2. Download and install the app and try it in demo mode. Send me your first impressions.
  3. To those who will send me their first impressions, I will send a promo code to obtain a full license for free (they will be 50 at most). In any other case, the app will cost €/$ 2.99.
  4. Keep sending me your feedbacks!

Below are a few screenshots from Zanzito,
thanks!
Gianluca Barbaro

14 Likes

I am interested!:slight_smile: I’ll send u a mail…Great thought !

Here my desing approach of the dasboard

1 Like

Are there plans to enable some cloud-push-solution like Firebase or Azure Notification Hub some time in the future?

I really like the concept. Thought of something like that as well, but I’m not an Android developer. :smiley:

Hi, thanks.
No, at the moment Zanzito relies exclusively on MQTT. It’s up to the user setting up a working MQTT server but, once done, Zanzito can actually receive push notification, among other things.
Maybe in the future, but I’m not much into cloud solutions for home automation…

gl

1 Like

email spedita :wink:

I still didn’t get any email :frowning:

The MQTT server I’m running today is on my Linux server with HA running on one of the RPis.
To make this work, I’ll have to open the MQTT port and forward it to my MQTT server, right?
How safe is it to open/forward to the server?
Should I get me yet another RPi just to runt the MQTT server?

Hi,
my suggestion (outlined in the User manual) is to install a tor server and access your MQTT through Orbot: this way you don’t need to open any port on your router.
I’ve been using this solution for a month now and it works without issues.

did you write to [email protected] ?

Yes, and I got a reply back :slight_smile:

i resent it just now :slight_smile:

Email sent,

is tasker integration on your plans?

Hi,
not at the moment. I’ve never used tasker myself, but I know there already exists a Tasker plugin to connect to an MQTT server, so I think that is already covered, isn’t it?

gl

the beta testing phase has begun, there’s still room for a few more testers, please write to [email protected]

thanks,
gl

Did signed people get the link for the application?

Yes, I sent the link to everyone who signed up, didn’t you receive it?

I got it but to test i need some more time :slight_smile: I think it is understanable itself by telling that i wont purchase atm for the app. please add some more time to test your app

anf how does pic upload work in fact?
I youl like having a XMPP solution :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi, you have all the time you want :slight_smile:
I just asked to test it in demo mode for a while, then send me your first impressions. After that, I will send you a promo code to fully unlock the app, no need to purchase anything, of course!

eheh, maybe in the future…

pics upload: it’s all explained in the manual. It sends a mqtt message with a binary payload that needs to be extracted server-side. I put a sample python script that does that, in the manual.