I have developed an Android app that connects almost any Android device to an MQTT server, it’s called Zanzito.
I developed this application with Home Assistant in mind (I made a few contributions to HA source code and I am using it personally), so I think integration is not difficult at all.
With Zanzito you can send to your server/home automation system:
- Your current location;
- The values of the hardware sensors in your phone (i.e. battery level, ambient temperature, light level and so on);
- Pictures from your phone (manually or at a given interval).
- Any other information you wish, through MQTT publishing to your own custom topics. For example, you can send a message to switch a light on, or activate your home alarm system.
You can receive:
- Text messages and notifications;
- Audible alarms;
- SMS text messages to be sent through your phone.
- Any other information (including pictures), through MQTT subscriptions to your own custom topics
Zanzito also supports:
- SSL/TLS connections to the MQTT broker and dual host configuration (public/local addresses) with home WiFi auto-detection.
- Custom voice commands for any publishing topic (“Activity”) added by the user and, EXPERIMENTALLY, continuous voice recognition.
- Text to speech functionality (TTS) also via MQTT.
- FIND (www.internalpositioning.com) for room presence detection.
You can also see a map with the locations of all users connected to your system, and a photo gallery with the last pictures sent to the system.
You can find a custom notifier component here
Zanzito’s page on Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.barbaro.zanzito
Here’s is the main webpage:
it contains a few links, particularly to the User manual:
where you can find also a few examples of Zanzito’s integration in Home Assistant.
For *support requests, please use Zanzito’s support forum.
UPDATE (2017/05/11): Zanzito now supports Text to speech and, experimentally, continuous voice recognition.
UPDATE (2017/05/01): a HA custom notifier component for Zanzito is now available for testing, please see here
UPDATE (2017/04/30): Zanzito now supports FIND for internal navigation, for both tracking and learning. Added a minimal JSON formatted payloads support.
UPDATE (2017/04/20): Zanzito now includes a password protection for parental control. Also, the location tracking is already compatible with the new upcoming HA component
UPDATE (2017/04/06): The closed beta testing phase is over. Everyone can now go to:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/it.barbaro.zanzito, become a tester and download the app.
UPDATE (2017/04/04): Now Zanzito offers custom Voice commands for any custom publishing topic.
UPDATE (2017/03/29): Now Zanzito supports SSL/TLS connections and dual server configuration (public/local addresses) with home WiFi auto-detection.
I’m looking for about 50 beta testers who can help me fix the app before its official launch. The beta testing in itself will begin in a few days.
Here are a few necessary steps to become beta tester (sorry, it mainly depends on google play store rules):
- If you are interested, send me a message to:
[email protected]with your google account email. Once the closed beta testing starts, I will send you a link from where become beta tester and download the app.
- Download and install the app and try it in demo mode. Send me your first impressions.
- To those who will send me their first impressions, I will send a promo code to obtain a full license for free (they will be 50 at most). In any other case, the app will cost €/$ 2.99.
- Keep sending me your feedbacks!
Below are a few screenshots from Zanzito,