Announcing MQTT/Android bridging app: Zanzito. Beta testers wanted!

Hi Marko,
pictures: at the moment, we have to use an external script to send pictures from HA through MQTT (see Zanzito’s user manual), but I’m working on a notifier platform/component for Home Assistant that will be capable of sending pictures directly from local files or web url to the MQTT server, thus to Zanzito.

Tasker integration and/or gestures: it’s on the list :wink:

gl

mqtt again not working, and of course zanzito as well.

I don’t get it

Hi Claudio, tell us more, what is the issue?

How to troubleshoot?

My configuration 

mqtt:
  broker: 192.168.1.238
  port: 1883
  client_id: home-assistant-2
  username: username
  password: password

Zanzito not connecting

Can you connect to the MQTT server with paho?
Also, try exiting and re-entering Zanzito.

Had to uninstall and re install. Now seems working.

An issue though, I have the paid app, but nevertheless it still says, that Zanzito demo (disconnected in 60 minutes) notification on the phone

I’m sorry, it’s hard to say what the problem was. Also, it should recognize that you paid the app. What happens if you dismiss the demo notification? Does it reappear?

Did dismiss now

A few mods I proposed are now available in HA vers 0.43.
So now, presuming your Zanzito device name is MyDevice, to view the pictures taken with Zanzito in HA, activate picture sharing in the app preferences and just add to HA configuration.yaml:

camera:
  - platform: mqtt
    topic: zanzito/shared_pictures/MyDevice
    name: Zanzito MyDevice Camera

Similarly, now you can deactivate Owntracks emulation in Zanzito and add directly a MQTT JSON tracker in HA with:

device_tracker:
  - platform: mqtt_json
    devices:
      my_device: zanzito/MyDevice/location

For these new configurations to work, you need to have at least HA 0.43 and Zanzito 0.9.5.4b

Nice additions, testing them right now.

Why is there a watermark on the Zanzito MQTT camera image though and can this be turned off?
I could not find anything about that in the documentation.

Hi, thanks, let me know how your tests go.
The date stamp is something I felt appropriate in order to be sure you have the latest picture. Being the pictures transferred not as files but as MQTT payloads, there’s not an (easy) alternative way to know the date and time of the picture.
It is not possible to turn it off at the moment, no one asked for this before. I will consider putting an option in the preferences in one of the next releases, thanks.

I do not see any date stamp? I see a very big zanzito branding over the image I sent to HA.
:smiley:

That’s peculiar… that’s supposed to be only the first word of a very tiny timestamp :slight_smile:
I guess it has to do with the resolution of your camera. Could you check with your camera app what resolution it is set to?

EDIT: it looks like a bug with the resolution of pictures, I’ll look into that, thanks for pointing it out!

The back camera on my phone is a 16MP with 3456x4608 resolution. I shot this in portrait 3:4 and when I see the picture in both the app and on my Home Assistant interface, it is very blurry (as my screenshot above shows).

I shared the same picture from within Zanzito (through email) and I see it has now a resolution of 120x160 (19KP).

/edit
I tested with the front camera (lower resolution) as well and get the same result.

Yeah, I suspected as much: it is supposed to choose the best resolution available, but clearly in your case it goes to the worst, sorry. I’ll work on that, thanks!

EDIT: just in case, could you tell me your phone model?

I have a Chinese Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Android v6.01).

Just tried setting my camera to a lower resolution (12MP) for testing and did get the same low image resolution in Zanzito.

No problem, I know you already do your best! You have all the suggestions I had during closed beta already implemented!

BTW, the second part of the latest update works ok. I shutdown the Owntracks emulation and I have still tracking and a working battery sensor.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I did this. SOrry newb here, where will the picture be stored (beside the phone)?

Hi Claudio,
currently neither Zanzito nor HA save camera pictures. Both preserve only the last shot.
If you want to save them, you could use an external script that does that. The python script included in Zanzito’s User manual could be easily modified to store all the pictures received by the MQTT.
Thanks to the nature of MQTT, you could have both things running in parallel: HA camera and an external script that saves all the images.

EDIT: in any case, pictures sent by Zanzito are stored in the MQTT server. The pictures sent to the shared pictures topic (i.e. when you activate “Picture sharing” in Zanzito) zanzito/shared_pictures/<device-name> are “retained”: that means that the last picture is always available.
The pictures sent to the device topic zanzito/<device-name>/picture are not retained: that means that HA or any other MQTT client can receive them only if they have subscribed to the topic at the moment the pictures are received.

where is it?

HA: frontend. You can just right click on the picture from the browser and select “Copy image” or “Save”.
Zanzito: go to the gallery. From there you can open any picture and share it with other apps.

EDIT: maybe you’ve noticed that sharing works the other way around too. From any app in android that you’ve opened an image in, if sharing is available you can select “Zanzito”: the image get sent to the server.