Another integration of flights via flightaware

IMPORTANT, the flightaware service is NOT (!) free

Hi all, triggered by another user, I discovered that flightware API offers a lot of data and I set about to allow me to track incoming flights on the airports I ‘usually’ go to and with airlines I ‘usually’ take
To do:

1. become a member of flightaware API and get the API key
  2. use a command line sensor with curl and jq alike below. I use the scheduled arrivals (upcoming) and templates for airport , filter start/end time, filter airline (see below)
  3. create input_select sensors with the airline and airport ID that you are interested in
  4. create a card, I used flex-table card below

Notes: there is a lot of information available, also about the planes themselves so this is just an example. EDIT: I will also try to get the details of a flightnumber that I type in myself

- platform: command_line
    name: flight_arrivals
    unique_id: flight_arrivals
    scan_interval: 300
    command: >
         curl -X GET -H "x-apikey:YOUR_OWN_APIKEY" "https://aeroapi.flightaware.com/aeroapi/airports/{{states('input_select.airports')}}/flights?max_pages=3&airline={{ states('input_select.airlines')}}&start={{ utcnow().strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:00Z") }}&end={{ now().strftime('%F') }}T23:59:00Z" | jq '{flights: [.scheduled_arrivals[] | { flight: .ident, flight_iata: .ident_iata, origin_city: .origin.city, origin_name: .origin.name , aricraft: .aircraft_type , status: .status , arrival_gate: .gate_destination, arrival_terminal: .terminal_destination , destination_city: .destination.city, destination_name: .destination.name , scheduled_arrival: .scheduled_in, estimated_arrival: .estimated_in, arrival_delay: .arrival_delay }]}'
    value_template: > 
        {{ value_json.flights | length }}
    json_attributes:
      - flights 

card:

type: custom:stack-in-card
mode: vertical
cards:
  - type: horizontal-stack
    cards:
      - type: vertical-stack
        cards:
          - type: entities
            entities:
              - entity: input_select.airports
          - type: entities
            entities:
              - entity: input_select.airlines
      - type: button
        show_name: true
        show_icon: true
        name: refresh
        tap_action:
          action: call-service
          service: homeassistant.update_entity
          target:
            entity_id: sensor.flight_arrivals
          data: {}
        icon: mdi:autorenew
  - type: custom:flex-table-card
    clickable: true
    sort_by: state
    max_rows: 15
    entities:
      include: sensor.flight_arrivals
    columns:
      - name: Flight
        data: flights
        modify: x.flight
      - name: Origin
        modify: x.origin_city
      - name: Delay(min)
        modify: |
          if(x.arrival_delay == 0)
          {""}
          else {
          parseInt(x.arrival_delay / 60) }
      - name: Arrival
        modify: |
          if(x.estimated_arrival == null )
            {"-"}
            else {
              var date = new Date(x.estimated_arrival);
              String(date.getDate()).padStart(2,'0')+"/"+
              (String(date.getMonth()+ 1).padStart(2,'0'))+
              " "+
              String(date.getHours()).padStart(2,'0')+":"+
              String(date.getMinutes()).padStart(2,'0')
            }
2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. The JSON payload has changed, here is the updated curl

curl -X GET -H "x-apikey:<YOUR_API_KEY>" "https://aeroapi.flightaware.com/aeroapi/airports/{{states('input_select.airports')}}/flights?max_pages=3&airline={{ states('input_select.airlines')}}&start={{ utcnow().strftime("%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:00Z") }}&end={{ now().strftime('%F') }}T23:59:00Z" | jq '{ flights: [.arrivals[] | { flight: .ident, flight_iata: .ident_iata, origin_city: .origin.city, origin_name: .origin.name , aricraft: .aircraft_type , status: .status , arrival_gate: .gate_destination, arrival_terminal: .terminal_destination , destination_city: .destination.city, destination_name: .destination.name , scheduled_arrival: .scheduled_in, estimated_arrival: .estimated_in, arrival_delay: .arrival_delay }]}'