(another) PSA on emulated_hue

I know there’s an official thing doing the rounds so this is probably fairly good timing.

There’s a lot of threads on here with people complaining emulated_hue isn’t working, so I thought I’d share something that happened yesterday to hopefully assist people.

I use input_booleans in HA which trigger automations from Alexa. I use the routines function in the Alexa app to customize the command, so for example I’ve got a routine that reacts to “Alexa, it’s bedtime”, and when I gruffly exclaim that at night the echo dot hears it, runs the routine which just turns on an input boolean called bedtime mode, which then fires the associated automations.

Anyway…

Up until the other day I had lights, input_boolean and switches exposed to emulated_hue and everything was ticketyboo, until I wanted a new routine for Alexa. I added the new input_boolean, restarted HA, and scanned for new devices in Alexa.

No new devices found.

Bugger.

Long story short, the reason for the new routine was I’d added a load of new remote control codes to the broadlink and I wanted to shout something like “Alexa, who’s outside” and the telly would switch on to the cctv and it would all be magical.

Now, when I added all these remote control codes they all appear in HA as switches, so my emulated_hue conf file thing was exposing like a million buttons, I’ve now removed ‘switch’ and am only exposing my lights and input booleans and it’s back to normal working order.

TL;DR - if Alexa isn’t picking up your emulated_hue devices, reduce the amount you’re exposing because if you have a lot it ain’t gonna work.

FWIW this is in the docs.

Warning: If you have a lot of devices (more than 49 total across all exposed domains), you should be careful with this option. Exposing more devices than Alexa supports can result in it not seeing any of them. If you are having trouble getting any devices to show up, try disabling this, and explicitly exposing just a few devices at a time to see if that fixes it.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is, my point is that I didn’t conceive going over when I added my ir codes, and I bet lots of people do it by accident with template switches, and they don’t go back to the docs, they come here and ask.

Not once in all the threads about it have I seen a suggested as the problem, so I figured I’d chuck it in to the mix for general consumption :+1:

I’m glad you posted this, I had similar findings early on with emulated hue but I couldn’t put my finger on why it wasn’t working at the time (8 months ago or so). I ended up restricting EH to only my lights, switches, and fans. After that everything worked fine. When I updated to hassio 0.60, I started seeing all these threads saying EH doesn’t work. This post leads me to believe that EH is working fine, people just don’t know what causes it to fail. I assume you are running the latest and greatest HA?

Yup, currently 62.1