Another space issue

Currently on HASSIO 0.78.0, Rpi v3B

I previously had a 32GB SD Card which got filled up somehow to the point I could not bring back HA.
I purchased a 64GB SDCard and fresh installed. I was able to recover the history and configuration from the previous SD Card. Tried to launch the update V 84.02 but it would not come back up.

Redid another fresh install and restored again the configuration and history. Made a backup with Disk imager. Turns out the backup is 60GB in size. so I presume there is not enough space to update? Bbiin running on the 64GB for about a week.

My log file was only 3k and .db file was 1.5G
On SSH I ran df -h and got the following:
Capture

Tried cd /dev/mmcblk0p6 but got the message no such file or directory.
Not sure what I can do next…

This will show you the 20 larges or only the files over 100MB - will take a little while to run, though:

sudo find / -xdev -type f -size +100M -exec du -sh {} ';' | sort -rh | head -n20

What output do you get when you update?

I tried to upgrade again by first upgrading samba, mosquitto mqtt and ssh and I was able to upgrade to 84.02

Also I realize that on my screenshot above it shows 49.2 GB available… somehow before I had my morning coffee this morning I was seeing 49.2GB used. as for my SD image I am thinking it is making an image of the full 64GB and not the data that is on it so this would explain the image being +/-60GB

I assume you mean 0.84.2

yes 0.84.2 it is.

The “available” column in your df output says /dev/mmcblk0p6 has 49GB of free space. You haven’t filled the card.

That’s giving you a raw dump of the volume, including all the empty space. Around 49GB of your backup is basically zeroes.

Yeah, /dev/mmcblk0p6 is the device file. It’s just a file on the filesystem that represents the device. You’ll want to cd in to the directories in the “Mounted on” column if you want to check for large files. Or just start your search from / with a command like the one chairstacker posted.

What are you trying to do that’s failing? Or is this all just preventative right now?

Hey mate,

Home Assistant becomes super slow and sluggish with a large .db file. I have moved to using MariaDB with my HA but I would recommend to decrease the size of the .db file you delete it and add the following lines underneath recorder.

recorder:
  purge_keep_days: 5

This only keeps 5 days worth of sensor and history the deleted the oldest data. Thai works fine for me and I only have a 16gb SD card.

Hope this helps.

Riley.