Another Supervised Installer on Debian 12 DNS (checkonline.home-assistant.io: Temporary failure in name resolution)

Hi, I just tried a fresh install of my Home Assistant at 1.8.0, but finding the procedure I used for 1.6.0 is no longer working.

If you follow the supervised installer instructions here you need to install systemd-resolved, the problem is that doing so leaves you with a broken DNS, so my script has always included the following, as without it the next step in the process (installing docker) fails:

echo -e "\nDNS=8.8.8.8\nDNSStubListener=no\n" >> /etc/systemd/resolved.conf
systemctl restart systemd-resolved

After which I can happily install docker and the OS Agent.

The problem I’m seeing now (in 1.8.0) is that when I get to the step of actually installing HA via homeassistant-supervised.deb it breaks the DNS again.

default: Adding 'diversion of /etc/systemd/resolved.conf to /etc/systemd/resolved.conf.real by homeassistant-supervised'
    default: Unpacking homeassistant-supervised (1.8.0) ...
    default: Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.8.0) ...
    default: e[32m[info] Reload systemde[39m
    default: e[32m[info] Restarting NetworkManagere[39m
    default: e[32m[info] Enable systemd-resolvede[39m
    default: e[32m[info] Restarting systemd-resolvede[39m
    default: e[32m[info] Set up systemd-journal-gatewayd socket filee[39m
    default: e[32m[info] Enable systemd-journal-gatewayde[39m
    default: e[32m[info] Start nfs-utils.servicee[39m
    default: e[32m[info] Restarting docker servicee[39m
    default: ping: checkonline.home-assistant.io: Temporary failure in name resolution
    default: e[32m[info] Waiting for checkonline.home-assistant.io - network interface might be down...e[39m

The HA install updates resolved.conf, overwriting my updates, and breaks DNS again. Meaning the next step fails with the temporary failure in name resolution error.

The workaround described here creating /etc/systemd/resolve.conf.d/resolve.conf doesn’t work. Neither does disabling ipv6.

There are some other solutions described that involve fixing the DNS (again) when the install is looping with the name resolution error, but that is a pretty awful workaround. Especially when I’m trying to automate the installation procedure.

But I’m really confused about what is actually going on here. Am I missing something obvious about getting DNS working? Before the installation of systemd-resolve DNS works, its only when I start to follow the instructions for installing HA that things go wrong.

Thanks.