Another wall mounted tablet

I want to share my project of wall mounted tabled. It is fairly simple.
I mounted it in a place where I had my heating controller installed (Danfoss Link CC), installed in regular electric installation box.
As a tablet, I used Lenovo P11, which was good value for money, with 10" 2K display (2000 × 1200 px). I was also looking for some Chinese brands, but they were not much cheaper, so I decided it is not worth saving few bucks with questionable result. It also has battery saving feature, to keep the battery charged at 60%.
I also used regular QC3 charger, cut the connector so that I can fit it in the box and wired directly to electricity.
I used 30cm flat USB cable from AliExpress: 3A USB Type C double 90 Degree USB C Cable Ribbon Flat Angled Up Down Gooseneck Type USB 3.0 type C Fast Charging Data Cable|USB Cables| - AliExpress
And following case: Case for Lenovo Tab M10 Plus FHD 10.3 HD 2nd Gen 10.1 M8 8.0 P11 Pro Heavy Duty Shockproof Rugged Cover with Hand/Shoulder Strap|Tablets & e-Books Case| - AliExpress

Installation was easy. The case can be easily disassembled and the rotating piece will serve as fixed part on the wall. I pulled the wire through it. After that, you just need to put the frame and fix it. I dragged the flat USB cable between the plastic back and the rubber coating, since despite being flat at the USB C connector, it is still thicker and you would not be able to drag it between the tabled and the plastic back, unless you would want to see the connector.
The rubber cover of the USB C port needs some cut outs on the inside part, as it is bit bulky, but after that, it sits fairly well.
All you need to do after is just to put the tablet in, that’s it.
Positive side of this installation is - no visible wires, also tablet can be removed easily, so it is not destined for single-purpose only.

I am using Fully Kiosk browser, with lovelace dashboard created for tabled. I am also using it as a chime to my doorbell (I don’t have physical one), as it notifies faster than my Amazon Echo.

3 Likes

Looks like you found one!

Kidding aside, nice clean install! Looking to get a wall tablet up my self at the moment. I’ll add that Lenovo to my list of candidates. You are happy with the performance? No lagging?

1 Like

Yeah, I meant I was looking at brands like Teclast, Chuwi, but they are not much cheaper + questionable (no) warranty.

I am not noticing any lags, but the usage is 24/7 lovelace dashboard, nothing else. While I was browsing the system, it is not the fastest tablet I suppose, but it has mid-range CPU. I guess I got what I paid for, but serves good enough for what I want it to do.

Hey, can you give us an update on the P11 performance?
I currently have a Fire HD 10 that starts to be very slow after 1 or 2 days… Needing reboot.
I’m looking to upgrade to an Lenovo P11 Plus. it has 1GB more of RAM. How’s your device holding up?

It is not blazing fast, rather choppy I would say. But it is ok for me give the usage -mostly just displaying data

I use a cheap Onn tablet with Android Go and it runs just fine. It’s been on the wall for about 4 months with 0 problems.

I have an Onn tablet and some of my dashboard screens it kind of chokes on, whereas my phone and laptop are super smooth. I may try my hand at a different tablet.

great job!
did u install HA core on the Lenovo ?
or u have a separate Raspberry.Pi core installation ?
thank you. Alex

You just install the HA companion app on the tablet, or simply use the web GUI through the browser.

I have a Onn Tablet too (8"). I’ve been having trouble sourcing a wall mount for it. I have 3d printer that I could use to print an STL. But I haven’t mastered the art of designing for 3d printing (yet).

Can I ask where you got your mount?

I simply got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078YR6L4K