Anova sous vide cooker control

Ha! Well, it may have been that it was 11pm and I had to be up at 5 and had been bashing my head against the wall with netcat/rooting my phone for about an hour that made me grumpy.

Blog post sounds great! I think having a nice clean “package” of “here’s a basic UI that you can just load and then tweak as you like” would be handy.

Oh trust me, it took me 3 days of on and off attempts to finally get the ID and secret. Then many more to format out the ice bath commands and all. I’ve been there.

Yeah that was my thought, downloadable chunks for UI, automation, scripts, etc. At least serve as a starting point for building everything out. And more detailed writeup about how the process worked to reverse engineer the API.

Oh, and one thing to keep in mind with this that I discovered. If you change the Anova’s wifi settings it will change the secret (but not the ID). I tossed my rooted phone on my IoT network and realized my Anova was on the main network. Moved the Anova over to the IoT network, got the secret, then moved it back to the main network (for reasons) and noticed that the secret changed. I didn’t test whether the script worked with the old secret or not.

Really? Now that’s dumb… I bet changing phones alters it too as it has to go through the reconnect process. I’ll make sure to put a note about that on my blog post.

Yep, that’s my guess too. I didn’t test it (but probably could without much of an issue). I hate that only one device can be set up to control the anova at a time.

Has any progress happened on the blog post? Thinking I might like to set this up!

Hey @Courtenay_Watson - unfortunately finding time to get it knocked out has been a problem. It’s maybe half-done but I have been slammed with projects around the house and simply haven’t been able to get it finished up. I may have some time in the next few weeks. Meanwhile, if you want to take a stab at it I’m welcome to assist if you need some help.

Thank you. I’ll do some reading on finding that secret key!

So i’m looking to switch to Docker instead of Hassbian for HASS and running into a problem. Need to run pip3 install -e . to install the dependencies every time the container restarts. Is there an easy way to do this?

Can’t seem to find the id/secret using the rooted device anymore. Either something changed in the app or the new Anova Precision isn’t like previous devices.

Hmmm I may have to dig in and find another method. I had to reset mine too so my HA control is currently broken. I’ll let you know what I find.

1 Like

@phantomdarkness - I unfortunately don’t have a new Anova device to test with. But I can confirm that the packet capture method (I.E. MITM) still does work with my device and the current version of the app. It does seem like the packet capture, however, does not work with Android 10. The app crashes on my Pixel 2. Had to use an older device running Android 6. On Android 5 the Anova app crashes. I really wish they would just make and official API and be done with this nonsense.

Sorry I cannot be of more help with a newer Anova cooker. :confused: If I had one I could probably play more.

EDIT: And my API hack still works too at least with my version of the cooker.

Hmmmm… All i see is a bunch of gibberish using the app you posted in the github thread. Don’t see anything about secret or cooker_id. Any further assistance?

lol it didn’t dawn on me that you were also FuzzyMistborn, my brain no workies.

You have to install the cert and allow the VPN connection. That should allow the decryption of the SSL data.

Yeah I tried to change my name here but…shrug

I did install the cert and allow the VPN connection (have root on an old Nexus 5x running 8.0). Probably too tired to figure this out further tonight.

I think Android 8 should work but I can’t confirm. I’ve tested with 5 and 6 for sure. I do know that there are various new security features with the “newer” versions of Android that may prevent the proper capture.

Let me know if you want to dig into this more tomorrow, I’ll try to help out if I can.

I’ll try rolling back to 6.0 tomorrow and seeing if that helps. It’s just weird the cert isn’t working on 8, pretty sure that shouldn’t be the issue.

Yeah I don’t know unfortunately. Most of the devices I have to test with are older Android versions. Though you shouldn’t need root with that packet capture app if you don’t want to mess with that. If you have root though you really should be able to find the file with the cooker ID and secret. It may just have moved. My two rooted devices are both Android 5 and the Anova crashes so I cannot confirm the current location.

Let me know what you come up with please, and if you want to try and have a Skype call or something let me know.

Appreciate all the help. I tried pulling the entire data folder for the app using Root Explorer and searched using notepad++ and couldn’t find the info, so they must have moved it somewhere else.

I have a theory as to what the issue is based on previous MITM experiences. Can’t be on wifi. Problem is, my nexus 5x doesn’t have a working sim. Guess I can try popping my Pixel sim in and see if i can get it to work but that’s for tomorrow.

Well that sucks. It has to be stored somewhere though I think. That’s what authenticates the calls to the API.

I was able to capture on wifi without issue as the tablet I was using doesn’t even have a cell card in it.

But yeah if you want to try and talk thigh through I’m seriously up to an actual VOIP call. You have me curious now, lol. Though my Friday/weekend are going to be a little crazy.

Let me know please mate.