Yes, it does look as though you can just switch between the two when you want to add fobs.
I’ll know for sure tomorrow as one of the fob holders is coming over tomorrow, and their fob shouldn’t work at the moment since I did a full reset of the lock.
At the moment, I’m running the ZWave module, and everything is working seamlessly. The 3 fobs that I added using the Yale Module seem to be working OK no matter which module is in the lock.
Whilst I could see what happens if I delete and re-add one of the fobs that I have at home now (I’m 99% sure it will work), it will be better to test with a fob that isn’t currently in the system.
With regards to the fobs. These are definitely stored on the lock and not the module, but it is possible to get the Module/Yale account out of sync.
To give you some examples:
The original instructions for upgrading to the Yale module didn’t mention anything about resetting the lock. I found that initially, I couldn’t add my fobs through the Yale Home app, most likely because the fobs were already registered to the lock - I just got a beep when trying to add them but nothing happened on the app. I didn’t actually test whether the fobs still worked, but presumably they would have done.
Resetting the lock sorted this out since it would have removed any registered fobs from the locks memory, and I could then add the fobs using the Yale Home app.
A bit later, I reset the lock again (to try and sort the Bluetooth issue). This time, the fobs were still showing in the Yale Home app, but weren’t registered to the lock. I had to delete them from the Yale Home app before I could add them again.
The Yale Home app has a factory reset option for the lock which I think only resets the module/app but not the lock.
The Lock has the factory reset option in the instructions, but I think this only resets the lock and nothing else (although I always removed the module before carrying out that step).
Despite all of these resets, my Z Wave module still works exactly the same - there was no need to exclude it or rejoin it or anything. I just popped it back in and Home Assistant carried on working with it as normal
Sorry, I’m waffling again!! But in summary, yes I’m pretty sure that swapping modules is going to be a completely pain free way of managing this lock - Yale module to manage fobs, and ZWave module for everything else.
Yale have come back to me a couple of times regarding the failing Bluetooth.
This morning they asked if things were working better after leaving it for a while to update! They also asked for serial numbers so that they could check at their end.
Things were the same - I would say it was around 4-5 minutes between power cycle of the lock and Bluetooth going offline again.
They came back to me late this afternoon to say that they could see the Bridge and Module online, and that the logs show fobs being added/removed and the lock/door changing state.
I was tempted to tell them that I could also see the module as it was currently sitting on my desk!! But just opted to remind them that the lock does work for around 4 minutes or so before then becoming useless - in it’s current state, I would have to come in through the back door using a key.
I haven’t mentioned ZWave to them.
I’ve also ordered another module this evening to see if it’s a fault with the module.
I do wonder if the intial failures with the firmware update caused some problems - the lift to lock did stop working for a while, so who knows what’s going on there.
I just hope it’s a problem in the module rather than a problem in the lock itself.
I don’t know what’s providing the Bluetooth connection anymore - I’m pretty sure it’s the module as it does seem that the lock’s Bluetooth has been disabled (no access to the L1 Conexis app anymore, and tapping the lock doesn’t turn on the blue light for Bluetooth).
And I’m pretty sure that the original Bluetooth circuitry wouldn’t have been BLE which the module must be using so that the batteries don’t drain too quickly.
Based on Yale’s response so far, I’m a bit worried that if the lock is borked then I’m going to be out of luck, so hopefully a replacement module is going to be the answer. For £5 it’s worth the risk!