Anyone else giving up on Z-wave?

I have a mix of zwave and zwave+. I don’t have any issues getting to any device on my network.

2 Likes

Do any of the “no issue with zwave” guys even have a network that relies on the mesh repeating the signal?

I found that directly connected nodes work ok most of the time but remote nodes that are only reachable via another node are terribly unreliable as if half of the packets are dropped. And this is in a zwave+ only situation.

I have devices that require an additional hop to get to Home Assistant, they work perfectly.

Like a lot of the people here, I also am using my Zwave devices (15 - 20) for serveral years now without any problem.

My mesh has one hop to any device. Perhaps a deeper mesh would cause challenges.

I have a ton of devices and no issues. I did notice around 150 devices Zwave have a lot of latency so migrated a bunch of switches to Lutron.

As part of a major house renovation I’ve just put in 40 or so Fibaro Dimmer modules. They’re all powered, but performance isn’t what I want. Particularly when turning off multiple dimmers at the same time, performance is very sporadic.

I’ve just realised that I’ve put in some non-Zwave plus modules by mistake (some RGBW controllers also Fibaro), which I am going to remove to see if that makes any difference.

Also considering getting a second hand Vera Plus controller to see if that performs better.

Pete

What switches are you using? Have they lasted a full 6 years? I have Jasco Switches and it seems like they are all slowly starting to die in the order I put them in.

Interesting, I have had the same thing with a few GE’s. I don’t have many but they are dying. I’ve had some Levitons for a couple months longer (when I was a silly newb and bought them at HD on a whim) and they are still working ok (but need to be polled).

What is the experience when you say they are dying? They don’t respond via z-wave? They don’t work when you tap the button? Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t?

Total failure, dead everything.

40+ zwave devices also a bunch of 2.4ghz nrf’s and wifi devices.
no problems to speak of.

I have quite a few of these switches and so far so good. Any weird symptoms occur before they die so I know what to look out for?

I have a huge mix. I have jasco(ge), evolve, and aeotec minis of various generations, I actually did have one jasco that died on me. That was almost 2 years ago. I think my favorites are the aeotec minis as you keep your existing toggle switches. I know you can get toggles in ge, but are they really toggles? The only downside to the aeotec minis is that you have to use LEDs(there is a limit to the load), but that is not all bad as I prefer them.

2 were caused by me shutting off the breaker, shouldn’t kill a switch but it did. The 3rd died on turn_on/turn_off. The 3rd one was on a sundown/sunup automation so it turn on and off once a day every day for the past 3 years.

Minimote? Nano? or is this an older product?

Oh yes my fault. The nano.

1 Like

I gave up on zwave not because of reliability but because it costs 2-3 times more then WiFi and Zigbee

1 Like

That should be changing soon.

My z-wave network has been the most reliable part of my HA setup for over 2.5 years now. Absolutely brilliant. In saying that, all of my devices are powered rather than battery. Even swapping from a RPi to a NUC running HassOS and then again from that NUC to a new NUC running Ubuntu / HassIO required zero effort and simply worked straight away both times.

Hopefully. I’m (or will be) using z-wave for lighting control. Will be using zigbee for sensors just because they’re so much cheaper.