Anyone experience with connecting a Growatt solar-inverter?

I have a Growatt re-branded inverter that uses server.pvbutler.com instead. Can it be added to the dropdown? Thanks.

Good morning,
I’ve just installed the HA Growatt intergration after having solar installed today.
However it only seems to have 6 entities, just wanted to check if this is correct?
gw

I have nothing relating to the batteries at all.

There has been issues with the growatt servers in the past couple days unfortunately.

The reported issue is: Growatt_server integration not working in · Issue #80950 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Thanks @Tuxinator94
Had a look through the issues and seems my SPA3000 inverter is not supported at present, that’s why i’ve only got 6 entities.

1 Like

Hi All, just for those of you waiting on an update on things.
There is a fix/hack available for Growatt_server integration not working in · Issue #80950 · home-assistant/core · GitHub if you want to take a look and get things working in the meantime until the official fix is released, this comment specifically details what to hack to make it work: Growatt_server integration not working in · Issue #80950 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

@DaveUK83 - RE The SPA3000 inverter, I was planning on sitting down this week and consolidating all of the tickets that are outstanding and creating a new forum post with them all, but the complete drop-out in functionality had to take precedence.
I’ll be collating the list soon and publishing it for everyone to vote on what should take priority for implementation. That said, there are some systems that have been in the queue for a long time and I made promises a long time ago to fully implement, so I will be prioritising those above all others.

2 Likes

Hi All,

This is a massive cross-post on all the Growatt tickets so apologies for it’s generic format. I’ve collated all of the open issues and prioritised them here: Growatt Integration - Prioritised List of Features for Implementation/Fixing

I will be working through them in order and updating that post as well as the affected tickets. Using that method I can be sure to correctly track everything associated with the integration.

Watch this space!

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks a lot!

I’ve been very hesitant to invest in infrastructure pieces that originates from areas of… geopolitical concern :smiley: But it does indeed seem like Solar-assistant could solve this issue.

I fundamentally really just hate needing to poll an internet service, to get access to information that is created locally. It very much goes against the appeal of HA for me!

But again, thanks a bunch for the lead!

Have a look here then :slight_smile:
johanmeijer/grott: Growatt inverter monitor (github.com)

I agree, and with the very poor performance of growatt servers it would be even better to be able to rid oneself of the dependency of them.

If only the " Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W" was not eternally sold out, i would certainly buy one and the solar assistant and be done with the sillyness that is Growatt servers.

I have several automations that rely on the Growatt sensors, for example some that will turn on certain things if i produce enough solar myself, but with a 5 minute update interval, and the posibility that they will tinker or have their servers be crap, and me having energy intensive equipment sucking grid power, because Growatt does not update my sensor, it would be very desireable to have 1 second update interval, from my own internal source.

OT, but just as a workaround, you can use EM clamps like the one from Shelly to see the amount produced.

Sure, but i want to have a figure that is “Produced, minus used”

If my solar panels make 1000 watts, and i use 1000 watt, there is no surplus solar and my automations should not run any of the “Only when there is surplus of X Watts”.

You search the same solution as me, you can change it, if you connect by rs485 port and read data information is possible to have the information every x sec…i’m studying the way for doing it.

Yeah, i actually found a company that had gotten a very limited supply of Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W’s and bought one.

Have everything up and running now with Home assistant, connected to the RS-232 port of the inverter, it pulls data every 1-2 seconds and best of all, the solution is all local, meaning that i dont rely on a dongle to send data to a server in China, that i can then poll from HA.

Until now this solution seems to work just fine, it is called solar assistant, and it seems to do everything the old dongle could do, just a lot better, and a lot safer because i actually pull and store the data on my own RaspberryPi, and unless my own network goes down, i will not lose connection.

Getting so fed up with Growatt blocking the HA integration, I went the minimalist ‘local’ way.
ESPHome in HomeAssistant, then an ESP32 board and a RS-485-to-TTL converter board connected to the monitor port (which uses ModBus over RS-485) on my Growatt 4200 TL-XE inverter. ESPHome has a ready-built library for Growatt by the way (via ModBus)
I now have local telemetry that is NOT dependend on any flaky cloud service, and it cost me next to nothing (less than 20€ in components).
Only issue I face now is, how to integrate it into the Energy dashboard WITHOUT loosing historical data. I can add the ‘new’ solar sensor, but that will overlay/add it to the historical data from the Growatt API integration

1 Like

Would you have any source material for the hardware part? How to build, etc.?

Details here:

And here:

Post #41 here:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/esphome-modbus-growatt-shinewifi-s/369171/552

I used an ESP32 and connected GPIO16 an GPIO17 to the RS-485-ttl converter
ESP32 on Amazon:

And the RS-485-to-ttl (3.3v DC compatible)

1 Like

Woow it is just i’m searching my inverter is min-6000tl-xh, then every 2 sec you have real information in HA and so you can configure routines with the data gotten

Did you need a special connector to be able to connect to the RS485 pins 3 and 4 of the invertor?

The connector for that was included with my Growatt inverter (actually two of them)

So does anyone know if Home Assistant has changed something.

I used to have this sensor i made myself, it worked fine, but now it just says that it is not available.

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      delta_t_solar_heating:
        friendly_name: Surplus solar
        unit_of_measurement: KW
        value_template: >-
          {{ ( states('sensor.oocmaXXXXX_all_pv_wattage') | float |
          round(1)) -  ( states('sensor.oocmaXXXXX_load_consumption') | float
          | round(1))}}

(I changed the oocma number, dont know if it is unique)

Both of the sensors are available, but my “surplus solar” sensor is suddenly not available anymore