Anyone here using Home Assistant Green? What 's Your Opinion far?

Anyone here using Home Assistant Green? What is your experience so far? Anyone willing To Share ?
Pros ? Cons ? Recomended ? Two :+1: up ? Or Stay Away ?

I love mine! :+1: :+1:
I installed HA on a Windows 10 machine with VirtualBox and a GoControl HUSBZB-1 combo stick a couple of years ago. I was so tired of MS monthly updates and reboots, plus the fan on the mini pc was loud. No fan on the Green. I was using 10gig of space and around 2gig ram on average, but I store media and backups using “Home Assistant Google Drive Backup” on “Network storage”. I really thought migration was going to be an issue for the combo stick, but the only issue I had was the “Network storage” settings were not restored. I use Mosquito broker, Node-RED, Samba share, SQLite Web, Studio Code Server, Z-Wave JS and Google Drive Backup add-ons, numerous integrations, lots of Wi-Fi, ZigBee, and Z-Wave devices and HACS stuff too. I started years ago with X10, moved to SmartThings, migrated everything to HA and now there’s no looking back. Personally, I cannot say one bad thing about my HAG. :wink:

1 Like

Richard,

I received my HA.Green in mid-December past. Using a Sterling Hub (7 Nest thermostats), Hue hub (just to host bulbs, switches), I was using a Hubitat C8 for zigbee sensors and automations, that sent it all to Homekit for family control convenience. Homekit directly integrates various cameras.

I was able to have everything Hubitat was managing set up in HA in a week, with another two to fine tune it (break and fix things as I poke around). Didn’t need to fuss with YAML at all. At this point I could leave well enough alone. But curiosity and the potential HA offers won’t let me. I’ve since adopted energy monitors for the home (a timely need).

I’ve only tried automating with the HomeKit prior to the Hubitat, and I only went to Hubitat about 1.5 years ago. I considered an HA Yellow, but thought HA was way more than I needed, and too complicated for my needs at the time. Maybe it was. . . all I know is, I’m SO glad I gave the Green a go. I may need to integrate the Hubitat to HA for its Z-wave antenna one day, but I don’t have other than zigbee and wireless devices. I expect it’s going to gather much dust.

YMMV, of course.

1 Like

Thank You So Much epweston Edwin Weston !

Thank You For Sharing Your Experience I Really Apreciated!

Base on Your Experience Would You Recommend Home Assistant Green ?

Since The Hardware is not Not Expandable Or Upgradeable
Do you believe 32 GB eMMC flash drive of Storage and
4 GB LPDDR4X of Memory is enough ?

Any Idea if More Storage or Ram can be added later in the future if needed?

My mayor Concern is Storage…
I’m Afraid of Run out of storage as soon as I start adding integrations , Add-ons , Themes , Cards , Media etc …
Or Future HA Operating system or Software Updates

Thank You So Much Bob Tullis !

Thank You For Sharing Your Experience I Really Apreciated!

Base on Your Experience Would You Recommend Home Assistant Green ?

Since The Hardware is not Not Expandable Or Upgradeable
Do you believe 32 GB eMMC flash drive of Storage and
4 GB LPDDR4X of Memory is enough ?

Any Idea if More Storage or Ram can be added later in the future if needed?

My mayor Concern is Storage…
I’m Afraid of Run out of storage as soon as I start adding integrations , Add-ons , Themes , Cards , Media etc …
Or Future HA Operating system or Software Updates

My Smart Home Network which is mostly composed of multiple Alexa Devices and “work with Alexa Devices” Ring Camera’s With Alarm and a whole Security System, Aoetec SmartThings Hub With Various Type of Sensors, a Broadlink IR/RF Blaster a bunch of Aqara and Tuya Smart Lights, Switches, Plugs, outlets, Sensors and other Devices with a mix of Communication Protocols including Zigbee, Z-Wave, Bluetooth, WiFi, and Tread over Matter

Richard,

I don’t know how much one can practically squeeze out of any HA related hardware, this being my first foray with it. I certainly can recommend it to those that are interested in getting things running and then some.

Never having dabbled with a pi, forgetting what little I used to know about Linux and such, I’d go for a HA Yellow if I needed more than what the Green can do for me. I don’t plan to be much more ambitious in what it’s doing for us, but. . . I ain’t dead yet. Still, the plug/play answer is preferred.
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thank you So Much !
For Sharing All This Valuable Information with Me !
I Hope You dont Mind
Me Asking Where did You Order Your Home Assistant Green? Are They Trusted Vendors or Suppliers Out there ?

Using the BUY links on the homeassistant.io/green site, there are 2 us affiliates - I ordered from Ameridroid.

Nobody uninvolved cares as long as things work. Wife just pretends to listen to me talking about trials and successes. Friends don’t really care. Strangers just stare with that “Something is terribly wrong here” expression. So. . . thanks for asking! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thank you So Much bob.t !

Ameridroid Is Sadly Out of Sock Right Now…!

But looking for another USA Supplier i Noticed that Cloudfree still have Plenty on Stock…

Wasting No Time I Ordered Mine From Cloud Free A Few Hour Ago !

Since my order was place before the shipping dead line My order was Processed and shipped within a Few Hours with a 5 days expected delivery date …

Personally I’m Very impressed of how fast and responsible they processed and shipped My order…

Browsing Their Online Shop I Noticed They have all Kind of Goodies! Neat Toys…to play with…lol very Cheap and Affordable!

I’ll Keep You Guys Posted !
Since This is My First Step Towers The Home Assistant Universe !

Once Again Thank You So Much For All Your Help And Support !

Will Keep in Touch !

1 Like

I have a friend who refers to this as a nerd toy hobby.

Wear it with pride!

1 Like

bot.t BobTullis

If thats the case…
I’m Guity as Charged…
I’m A Big :nerd_face: Nerd Indeed…

Im Very Proud Of My Self For Being A Nerd…
Makes Me Happy and Makes My Life More Torable Valuable and Worth of Living in A World Falling Apart…

I Also Wonder How Many Home Assistant Users are Natural Born “Tinkerers” inventors, Builders and Sci-Fi Fans ?
which Im 100% as well …

:smiley:

1 Like

UPDATE

Exciting news Everyone…

Got USPS Shiping Info…

Your package is On Time And currently in transit moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to Its Destination by the expected delivery date February 12, 2024 by 9:00 pm or earlier…

The Clock is Ticking :alarm_clock::hourglass_flowing_sand::hourglass:…Tick…Tock…

2 More Days

Yey…! :grin::tada::tada::smile:

Cant Hardly Wait…

My Apologies For Behaving like a little kid in christmas Eve !
Waiting For Santa :santa:…
lol…:joy:

TIP:

We all know how important backups are. Yet, as I evolved with HA I tended to remember to back up AFTER a change was made. At least backups were made. Only once have I had to restore a backup (so far), but I had a lot of automations that were tweaked that I didn’t consider, and lost all of them. Not a tragedy, but a considerable PIA. That taught me that there’s no such thing as a redundant backups, or too many backups.

Just saying. . .

1 Like