Anyone Integrated a Mr. Cool Ductless w/ WiFi?

I literally just ordered the hardware to do the ESPhome approach. Any idea of an ETA on your integration?

Yes that does work BUT if you really want a great solution this is it:

This gives you all the controls of the ACā€¦ I used the Cielo but didnā€™t have all the functions this one does :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information. Just order two for my mini splits. Got a good Cyber Monday deal ($158 for 2) on Sensibo website. Canā€™t wait to try them out.

1 Like

Great deal!!! I know youā€™ll love the integration much better!

So much thanks to everyone here. For my purposes this is SOLVED.

MY STEPS TO SUCCESS:

1. Purchased 1 Sensibo Air
  2. Waited for it to arriveā€¦twiddled my thumbs
  3. Set it up using the Sensibo Mobile App, the process was easy and well designed. Took 5 mins not including a firmware update that happened.
  4. Followed HA Help Docs to acquire the API key.
  5. Followed @cowboysdude instructions (fix the indents after pasting into HA file editor)
  6. Restart HA.
  7. Success. The widget fully controls my Mr. Cool DIY unit! Updates within 1 second.

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 1.44.08 PM

I havent gotten as far as building it into automations and scripts, but wanted to report my success (and delight). Thanks to all who got us this far!

1 Like

Sure the sensibo air seems to be one way to do it but thereā€™s absolutely a 0% chance Iā€™m spending $365 for wifi IR blasters which is what would be required for my 4 head setup.

It sucks that they locked these down so hard because the included wifi adapters are great. Iā€™m looking into the esp option though as that seems to be the only feasible choice at this time. Iā€™ll see if I can make a guide specific to these units if I get it done. In the mean time, complain to Mr Cool that they donā€™t allow local access to their systems. Itā€™s likely just screaming into the void, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease and they may not be aware many people are wanting this. I have the DIY series and you would think since itā€™s already marketed towards DIY types they might be open to the DIY side of software too.

I would not call this SOLVED, more like a work around. Iā€™m with timlukacik, an IR blaster will not work for me. My unit is in a cabin in the woods, it keeps my pipes from freezing, I need the feedback loop for peace of mind that the unit is in the state that I expect it to be in.

A direct integration with MrCool software would be ideal. If no integration becomes available, I will also be trying the ESPHome approach.

I KNOW you can use the Cielo stuff that works but doesnā€™t give you everything so yes Sensibo solved it for me too :slight_smile:

I Iike the idea of using ESPHome to control my MRCOOL units.

But is there actually a need to buy/build new dongles?

Couldnā€™t a guy just pop the case and reflash the 8266 inside the MRCOOL dongle?

2 Likes

I am ready to try this very soon too. ESPhome flashing the existing dongle (or a custom one soldered up very simply) seems like the logical way to go now that we know the USB is just a serial protocol and hopefully exactly the same as Midea protocol.

Actually now that I think about it, it will be easier to just solder a USB connector (cut off cord) into any ESP development board (D1 mini, wemos lite etc) serial pins vs opening up the dongle so Iā€™ll probably try that first, assuming itā€™s 3.3v serial logic etc.

1 Like

You might want to check out the Midea thread, we had this discussion on how to get the hardware ready there as well. :slight_smile: There are some pics that might help.

Here for example:

2 Likes

I did a write up for my MR Cool unit here: Removing the chinese wifi from my minisplit with ESPHome. - My Blog

6 Likes

That is an excellent guide!!

I put in a feature request for this integration, if you want it, go vote for it:

Some said itā€™s work with this integration Cielo Home

Has anyone attempted this?

Your guide is no longer accessible. Any recommendations on config for an ESP32 Development board? Iā€™m not able to get mine to work (only getting TX, no RX - I did try switching them and even tried using the UART0, UART1, and UART2 pins).

Yes I have one in my shop, and it integrates from the Cielo home app/ integration

In case this is useful to others, I have deprecated GitHub - nicholasrobinson/node-smartcielo: NodeJs interface for interacting with smartcielo remote AC control API (MRCOOL) in favor of using MQTT and the excellent SMARTLIGHT SLWF-01pro (alternate Link). This achieves local network control with vastly improved reliability.

1 Like

Itā€™s still accessible via the wayback machine: