Anyone tried to add Vasco radiator (heater) with BAS Connector?

I have ordered the Vasco Aster radiator: https://vasco.eu/en-gb/downloads/search?search_api_views_fulltext=e-volve

I ordered the obscure “BAS connector” with it. It’s supposed to be able to provide integration with domotica systems. In my case, it should be able to integrate with Home Assistant.
In the documents, you can find the unit being mentioned as an alternative to “E-Volve WiFi” and “E-Volve rf”.

Unfortunately, i haven’t been able to get any real details yet from Vasco: So far, they’ve only told me it’s supposed to turn on/off with a relais switch. I think that’s something that can be done for example with the Shelly devices.

However, it should also be able to receive the temperature (or percentage, or similar) it should maintain. I can’t find any details on this.

Vasco seems to mention that the device works with the KNX protocol. But again, very limited information from them.

Vasco does have the “E-Volve WiFi” and “E-Volve RF” solutions, but for me, that seems to go beyond home automation and basically just uses the specific Vasco app to control things. I would love a pure home assistant solution.

Has anyone already attempted to integrate the electric radiators from Vasco into home assistant? And if so, what have you used / done to achieve this?

Hi Henri, were you able to get this working? I just got mine delivered

Tom

Not yet! I don’t have the radiator yet, only the bas connector.

It will take a while before everything is installed, but then I’ll start digging into it. :slight_smile:

Apparently the bas connector is a “stupid” device: you basically turn it off/on.

Do you have the bas connector as well?

Hi Henry, checkin in if you made progress here. I havent had the need to switch my heater on yet, but confident this is gonna change soon in the netherlands :wink:

If you made it to work, i’d be really keen to understand how.

Cheers

Hi @Tom_Pijls , i still haven’t set it up yet, I’m soon finally going to start with it.

Actually, it needs a simple relais switch, just like a lamp or similar: on/off.

In my case, I’ll be installing it with a Shelly 1pm attached to a momentary switch. So, that way, i can start using it now, without setting up the entire automation already.

Next steps would be to add a temperature sensor, humidity sensor, open window detection sensor, etc. And making an input variable should_radiator_be_on and also desired_bathroom_temperature".
But first, me pressing the switch manually to turn it on/off.

@Tom_Pijls have you already looked into a potential setup / your desired functionalities?

I have my Vasco heater up and running - connected to the Vasco App - hope to hear from you soon wether this unit can also be added to Home Assistant - I’m looking forward to it. I’m not a programmer, but maybe I can help as tester :wink:

@Pandabeer40 fwiw, I assume you have either the Vasco E-Volve WiFi or maybe the Vasco E-Volve RF.

However, i have only the Vasco bas connector. I chose this, because I assumed it would be quite complicated to add the Vasco E-Volve to Home Assistant.

With the BAS connector, you only have 2 options: on/off. That means a simple relais switch (such as Shelly 1(pm) (plus)) would suffice. Or, a smart plug, if you connect a plug to the 2 cables coming out of the BAS connector. This means the entire control would be done in Home Assistant.

I honestly don’t know if the WiFi or RF solution would be easy to add to Home Assistant. I would assume RF would be a bit easier, because it should be possible to capture the RF commands?

Yes, I have the E-Volve WiFi - try to do something with the IP address - without results for now :sweat_smile:

In case nobody has started to investigate yet, your step 1 could be to sniff network traffic: see what’s happening when you send the various commands.

Yes - I will try this - any suggestions for a good network sniffer?

You can try Wireshark. :slight_smile:

I have some data from Wireshark - but I’m not a programmer - is there anyone who can help? It should be nice to have this Wifi adapter from Vasco implemented in HA

Frame 2000: 142 bytes on wire (1136 bits), 142 bytes captured (1136 bits) on interface \Device\NPF_{D6C468F8-109C-4747-B624-3AA26F4234B6}, id 0
    Interface id: 0 (\Device\NPF_{D6C468F8-109C-4747-B624-3AA26F4234B6})
        Interface name: \Device\NPF_{D6C468F8-109C-4747-B624-3AA26F4234B6}
        Interface description: Ethernet
    Encapsulation type: Ethernet (1)
    Arrival Time: Jan 13, 2022 16:03:53.020090000 West-Europa (standaardtijd)
    [Time shift for this packet: 0.000000000 seconds]
    Epoch Time: 1642086233.020090000 seconds
    [Time delta from previous captured frame: 0.092224000 seconds]
    [Time delta from previous displayed frame: 3.991010000 seconds]
    [Time since reference or first frame: 40.423589000 seconds]
    Frame Number: 2000
    Frame Length: 142 bytes (1136 bits)
    Capture Length: 142 bytes (1136 bits)
    [Frame is marked: False]
    [Frame is ignored: False]
    [Protocols in frame: eth:ethertype:ip:udp:adwin_config]
    [Coloring Rule Name: UDP]
    [Coloring Rule String: udp]
Ethernet II, Src: Espressi_02:4c:34 (7c:9e:bd:02:4c:34), Dst: Broadcast (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)
    Destination: Broadcast (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)
        Address: Broadcast (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)
        .... ..1. .... .... .... .... = LG bit: Locally administered address (this is NOT the factory default)
        .... ...1 .... .... .... .... = IG bit: Group address (multicast/broadcast)
    Source: Espressi_02:4c:34 (7c:9e:bd:02:4c:34)
        Address: Espressi_02:4c:34 (7c:9e:bd:02:4c:34)
        .... ..0. .... .... .... .... = LG bit: Globally unique address (factory default)
        .... ...0 .... .... .... .... = IG bit: Individual address (unicast)
    Type: IPv4 (0x0800)
Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: 192.168.178.251, Dst: 255.255.255.255
    0100 .... = Version: 4
    .... 0101 = Header Length: 20 bytes (5)
    Differentiated Services Field: 0x00 (DSCP: CS0, ECN: Not-ECT)
        0000 00.. = Differentiated Services Codepoint: Default (0)
        .... ..00 = Explicit Congestion Notification: Not ECN-Capable Transport (0)
    Total Length: 128
    Identification: 0x4000 (16384)
    Flags: 0x00
        0... .... = Reserved bit: Not set
        .0.. .... = Don't fragment: Not set
        ..0. .... = More fragments: Not set
    ...0 0000 0000 0000 = Fragment Offset: 0
    Time to Live: 255
    Protocol: UDP (17)
    Header Checksum: 0x07c9 [validation disabled]
    [Header checksum status: Unverified]
    Source Address: 192.168.178.251
    Destination Address: 255.255.255.255
User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 55565, Dst Port: 55565
    Source Port: 55565
    Destination Port: 55565
    Length: 108
    Checksum: 0x2fb3 [unverified]
    [Checksum Status: Unverified]
    [Stream index: 3]
    [Timestamps]
        [Time since first frame: 40.007752000 seconds]
        [Time since previous frame: 3.991010000 seconds]
    UDP payload (100 bytes)
ADwin configuration protocol
    Command: Unknown (16843009)
    Version: 1090584833
    MAC address: Private_01:01:01 (01:01:01:01:01:01)
    Unused
    Server IP: 1.1.1.1
    Unused
    Netmask: 1.1.1.1
    Unused
    Gateway IP: 1.1.1.1
    Unused
    DHCP enabled: True
    Port (32bit): 1163026255
    Password: LAYBOX
        [Expert Info (Warning/Undecoded): Trailing stray characters]
            [Trailing stray characters]
            [Severity level: Warning]
            [Group: Undecoded]
    Enable Bootloader: True
    Unused
    Description: e:bd:02:4c:34\001\001\001
    Date: \001\001\001\001\001\001\001\001
    Revision: \001\001\001\001\001\001\001\001
    Processor Type (Raw value): \001\001
    Processor Type: Unknown
    System Type (Raw value): \001
    System Type: Unknown

I am running (well, it is ordered, not there yet) the exact same config as @Pandabeer40
Obviously I would very much to have this integrated in HA. As fas as I know it comes with an app to control the thing: BAS unit which seems to be a simple wire connection to the heater. The real cleverness is in the wifi module connected to mains. How and what? Dunno yet. Happy to help testing by then!
Maybe it could be something like the Baxi thermostat (BAXI TXM / RXM 10c OpenTherm thermostat - HA integration) which basically is the same as the Remeha e-Twist (which I will get).

Mister Domaray did a nice analysis and seems to have it working using node-red and some API trial and error: http://domaray.com/2021/12/21/termostato-baxi-connect-integracion-en-home-assistant/ which is in Spanish but we all know google translate for your local language :wink:

@erickranendijk did you order only the BAS connector? Or did you order the evolve wifi?

If you ordered only the BAS connector, you will soon find out that there is nothing fancy going on. It is really only a phase and neutral wire. Which means on/off and that’s it. It does make that automation very easy, though. You can use any z-wave / ZigBee / wifi relay switch to automate it.
There is a little bit extra you need to do to comply to the eco standards.

If you ordered the wifi unit (or the Rf unit, for that matter), then there is some research you can do. For the wifi version you can use tools such as Wireshark to sniff the network and try to figure out the API calls.
For the RF unit it is much easier, just use an RF sniffer and send those commands yourself.

Another option could be to figure out what the unit is running, it could be an esp, or maybe it even is a TuYa device. Then you can try to flash the esp and/or use local TuYa for example. You would still need to know everything about the pins etc.

Hi @henrykuijpers I ordered both BAS connector and evolve wifi module. The non fancy part bout the BAS connector I was already aware of :blush:
Was in doubt however if the wifi or RF module would be the best choice, since I also have a rfxcom XL module. As there is 0 info about the rf frequency, I assumed the wifi module would be the better choice. I have no sniffer for rf. The rfxcom xl supports kaku, somfy and allmost all other standard rf devices like weather stations.

As far as diy: there is a WAF factor in place and since the entire bathroom is renewed, this factor should involve little visible diy. As “they” will always know it happened :grin:

Basically, it should be possible to say hey google turn on fancy heating. Or have it turned on based on conditions like temperature and humidity (builtin sensor in new itho ecofan). Then use automations to optimize for duration etc.

Just keep thinking about this. How about KNX - Home Assistant?
The module uses knx, then some sort of knx ip interface or router seems needed. Not sure what that is… not new in networking (as it is my profession) but never heard of or seen such an animal.

Ideas?

Edit: nevermind the knx thing. Router is as expensive as the heating :crazy_face:

Are you saying that the BAS connector uses knx? Various people from Vasco have confirmed over and over again that it was only a neutral and phase wire.

Back when i was choosing the bas connector, i was assuming it would speak knx, but i soon found out it didn’t. I found that out by speaking to Vasco, as well as inspecting the “unit”, there really seems to be just 2 wires, that’s it. I’d be surprised if the expensive piece of plastic is in fact hiding a print that does knx communication.

Or are you saying that the wifi version is supporting knx?

Knx is one of the more mature platforms for “building automation”, GIRA for example has a complete programme around it. It is very expensive, though. I’m not sure if it would be possible to find knx stuff for cheap and/or easily. And i also don’t know if you only need a network (and probably wifi) for it to work. I.e., if HA can be your knx server.

The wifi module, as far as internet tells me. Vasco can’t tell a thing. The BAS connector is (as anyone tells me) just a piece of expensive plastic with 2 wires. So KNX is set aside by me.

I’ll just have to wait till it is in, teh I will do some digging… until then work with what I know.
(and meanwhile hoping for someone to decrypt the magic evolve wifi box :grin: )

So now I ordered the evolve wifi and BAS connector, as I would like to use its possibilities for telling the heater how much it should heat (not 100% all the time). Knowing how it works and have that integrated in HA as a result.
Connecting the BAS (so not using the evolve wifi module) to a shelly would result in on-off only so 100% or 0%. Correct?

I am not concerned about open windows…

@Pandabeer40 got some data, but it wasn’t the right data. You would really have to use your mobile app (not the unit itself) to invoke commands, then verify that the unit receives them and takes the according action.
Then, you would need to sniff that network traffic to find out what actually happened in terms of http(s?) traffic. You probably stumble across some kind of API call. That would be your starting point for making the complete picture of all the http calls that are possible.

Indeed, as far as I know, connecting the bas connector results in 2 options: on or off.

Actually, i haven’t installed the radiator yet, but i can connect it to power and see it work etc. Maybe that would be convenient.

Vasco has told me that it would result in indeed full blown heating, or no heating at all. So you wouldn’t be able to specify that it should heat at 50% of what it can do or something.

I wonder how that wifi unit works, though. Maybe it will also do full blown heating until the desired temperature is reached? If not, it would be interesting how that module is connected to the radiator, maybe it would be possible to set up the BAS connector to work the same way.
It would probably mean that a simple Shelly (or similar) would then do on/off, but another device could potentially do the desired action where percentages can be involved?