Anyone tried to install in a VM on truenas SCALE?

Just saw that they are coming out with a debian based version of truenas called truenas SCALE. https://www.truenas.com/truenas-scale/

It uses KVM for VMs so I was curious if anyone had played with it yet and gotten home assistant installed on it in a VM. It’s still alpha, but functional from the little I have read about it.

I’m using it at home. Quite stable as NAS even in alpha status and 1-2 containers running fine. However no luck at all with VMs, I’m not even able to install a simple debian VM.

I’m also looking forward the project advances so I can move my VM in ESXI to TrueNas and have 1 single device.

Yeah going to keep my eye on it for sure. Right now I’m running proxmox and on that I have HassOS and truenas (core freebsd version) in VMs.
If SCALE works out the way you would expect it to I’d love to stick it on the bare metal and just run HassOS in a VM in that.

Hello
Are you running now homeassistant on Truenas Scale? Do you use the container or VM?

Hi
I am looking to replace my proxmox vm and have truenas scale running in a test/conversion environment. Ha is running in a vm because hassos is not available for a container. Truenas works well and seems to be faster. Moved to Truenas in order to also run Nextcloud, AgentDvr, Deepstake, and Photoprism in Docker containers. So far so good. It’s a work in process.

Hello all

I’m a home user and for the moment i use HA to control my HVAC and media environment. Next month I will be adding lihting and access control (via motion sensors).

i’m running HA supervised on a dedicated debian 11 laptop.

i have 2 truenas core servers for all storing all my media

everything works well (therefore i should maybe leave it all alone)

one of my truenas servers just died

I will be building another server, on which i am wondering if i move to truenas scale. I have no use .for it becvause truenas core is doing all what i need.

I would consider moving to turenas scale because it is based upon Debian. Truenas scale used containers like docker as opposed to jails.

if this is the case coulg i move my HA supervised to truenas scale?

this would:

1. free up a laptop
  2. have HA run on a fully redundant environment

would this make sense? and is ti possible?

thenk you in advance for your contribution

Could be done for sure. When I originally started this thread Scale was just in beta. I was wondering if I could just install scale and have my NAS and HA on the same box. As it was too new I ended up using proxmox and have a VM with HAOS running on it.
I would imagine you could do the same in truenas scale.
Since you’ll be building a new server it wouldn’t be hard for you to try it and find out.
Check out truecharts for apps…I think they had one for home assistant when I looked last year.

Let us know how it comes out!

Hi
I have HA using HASSos on Truenas Scale. In order to run Hassos, I had to run it in a VM. It was a little tricky but it seem to work better than when I ran it using Proxmox. The main issue I’m have is the VM does not support USB pass-thru though the Docker version does. But using ithe Docker version, you lose all the nice features like HACS. The docker version of HA is available in TrueCharts. As are most of the other HA addons, ESPHOME, Mqtt and BitWarden, etc. So instead of running them in their docker container inside HA, they have to be setup as Apps in Scale. If you don’t mind the extra work manually setting up addons and custom features, it becomes a very doable solution.

Also I believe Truenas Scale will SOMEDAY replace the Core version.

Hello all

Many thanks for your input. I will receive the server tomorrow and next week i will try to install scale.

It does seem promissing what you are all saying. My only concern (if i understand @5310 ) is that no usb passthrough exist.

I currently have all my devices on z-wave. I bought a shelly plug to try it out and so far i like it. I was concerned with the wifi security of the shelly products, but i realised that I can quash my concernes by limiting access toi it through my opensense configuration.

Many of the new devices will be zigbee.

Therefore I will need 2 USB controllers

I fear that if the usb passthrough is not working at the moment i will need to keep my HA on my laptop.

Is my thinking correct?

if so i will wait for a more mature HA 13

Once again many thanks you all. You all have a brilliant day

Hi
Maybe I miss spoke, the USB pass thru works when using the HA docker version. HA in Hassos in a Vm does not yet.

yhank you mate for clarifying

I haven’t dug into this, but since Scale uses KVM and it supports USB passthrough I bet there is a way to do this in scale…it just might not be in the GUI yet. May have to do some work in the command line.

Keep us updated. I’m reconsidering my setup and this got me thinking about trying scale again. Would be nice to see working.

One more time. KVM /Docker images currently support usb pass-thru. But Virtual Machines do not. Since HA HASSOS is only available as a VM, thus no pass-thru. You can run a HA version as a docker container but you lose the ease of use that HACS offers and have to manually install add-ons and custom stuff.

Yeah I get what you’re saying and I didn’t mean to confuse things…I was just saying that even though TrueNas Scale doesn’t have a way to do this with a checkbox or whatever in the GUI doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. Since they use KVM and it supports usb passthrough there is likely some way to get it done.
I didn’t mean to make it sound easy to do…just that I bet it is possible using the command line.