Anyone using Mysa v2 Thermostat with HomeKit Controller (or other approach)?

I’m running into issues with my Mysa thermostat disconnecting ~1am ET each night.

Following instructions from other threads:

1. I pair the Mysa thermostat to Apple Home app on iPhone
  2. I remove the Mysa thermostat from the Home app
  3. I quickly go to Home Assistant and under devices see the HomeKit Controller has automatically detected the Mysa thermostat as a new device that can be configured
  4. I click to configure the device and enter the 8 digit pairing code in 123-45-678 format
  5. The device is now integrated into Home Assistant
  6. I now expose the Mysa thermostat back to Apple HomeKit via the Home Assistant HomeKit Bridge

After doing this, everything works perfectly… until ~1am ET. I don’t see any errors in the log, but the device history has an entry that reads “became unavailable”, and both the Apple Home app and the Mysa iPhone app show the device no longer have an internet connection.

The solution is to reboot the device, and go through the same steps outlined above, but that clearly isn’t sustainable.

I’ve written a handful of Home Assistant members who previously said they had integrated, and all were using the version 1 Mysa thermostat or had older firmware. I’m wondering if something with the newer v2 unit or the new firmware is leading to issues?

I have version BB-V2-0 with firmware: 3.6.3.

Anyone have any luck here? (I was so happy during the past couple of days when it was working within HA, and would love to figure this out)

@Xelinor I noticed in another thread you have a v2 model. Any chance you could check the firmware version? Have any issues with disconnects?

Sure!

All 3 of my Mysa V2’s are running version 3.6.3, and none of them show any disconnects since the beginning of January.

I’ve had no problems, which would lead me to think the issue is probably your device. I imagine Mysa support should replace it without too much fuss?

I will mention that your step 1 and 2 are not ones I’ve personally followed. I don’t have any homekit hubs, so I just go through normal setup with adding the devices to the Mysa App, then adding them to home assistant through home bridge when it detects them on the wifi network. That shouldn’t make a difference, but there you go anyway.

Thanks - I don’t think there are hardware issues, as there is no problem with the device disconnecting when connected to HomeKit directly

However, I am curious how you setup. Are these the steps:

1. Start Mysa App and add new thermostat
  2. When asked HomeKit pairing or Mysa app pairing, choose Mysa app pairing? (I did the former)
  3. After the device is accessible via Mysa app go into Home Assistant and it’ll show as a HomeKit Controller device?
    4+: The rest is the same (i.e. pairing)

?

So, I’m using an Android device, so step 2 is unfamiliar to me.

I just set the thermostat up in the Mysa app all the way, then I hop over to Home Assistant and there is a notification saying it found a new device, asking if I want to configure it. I say yes, then supply the pairing code, and home bridge picks it up.

This leaves me able to control it either from home assistant, the Mysa app, or from Google Assistant, all without issue.

Also worth noting, if the problem is solved by a power cycle, then SOMETHING hardware-related is 100% going on. If it was something else, like a home bridge bug or something like that, it wouldn’t be solved by restarting the thermostat, it would be solved when you restarted the integration.

1 Like

Interesting - very helpful

I’ll see if I can setup without taking the Apple iPhone HomeKit approach

I wonder if my steps 1/2 are creating some internal conflict with the Mysa device, which the older devices don’t have

Will try and test out…. Thank you!

@Xelinor

I think you may have helped solve the issue

Last night I configured the thermostat using Mysa pairing vs HomeKit and then setup via HomeKit controller in home assistant.

This morning I was still connected with no issues!

Tonight I will try to expose the device back to Apple HomeKit so we can also control the device via Siri on our apple devices. My hope is this can work…

But I suspect there was some compatibility issue with the way I was pairing and unpairing and repairing before… the Mysa device got confused (and maybe there were security controls to disconnect if those activities were detected)

I’m glad it worked! At least for the first night!

If it continues to work, you might consider providing Mysa a detailed write-up of the steps you were doing, because that is a nasty bug, if that is what it turns out to be. You can submit bugs through their customer service people, I wouldn’t recommend doing it through the app because it doesn’t really get anywhere that way, but both bugs I submitted via their customer service were fixed quite promptly (within a few weeks), so they seem to give higher credence to the ones filed by customer service.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - I’ll drop them a note this morning

And good news on my side: exposing via HomeKit bridge to Apple worked

Soooo for anyone reading this thread:
When setting up Mysa do “not” select HomeKit Pairing, but use the “Mysa Pairing” option, which I guess allows the device to function independently and prevents the nightly disconnects I was experiencing.

Then, you can still go into Home Assistant and pair it with HomeKit Controller (no special action required; it just shows up, apparently passively broadcasting after Mysa pairing is complete)… and everything else works as outlined above.

Fingers crossed this sticks, but seems to have done the trick. @Xelinor appreciate your tip to get this working. So much better to be in HA :slight_smile:

My V1 still disconnects every other month or so.
And I really wish Mysa would push the power usage through homekit too…

How is it working for you now? I’m a bit hesitant to buy one of these, since it integrates via HomeKit, but it looks like the only decent option.

My Mysa v2 (FW 3.11.12) has been rock-solid these past 6 months, running the baseboard heaters in the guest room.
Connecting it first time was a bit tricky since I don’t have any other HomeKit devices. But it worked fine once I followed the directions and got the timing correct. No issue since

I have had zero issues since my last update where I learned the secret was to NOT configure via HomeKit directly, but back into HomeKit support via home assistant (see above for more instructions which will make sense when you are setting up)

It’s a great thermostat and my family loves it (would highly recommend)

I’ve just installed a v2 baseboard thermostat. Paired with Mysa first and then it appeared in HA HomeKit controller. Easy peasy.

I’m disappointed that there is no physical switch or indicator of the power mode on the thermostat. It just shows the temperature and up/down arrows. In my bathroom I want to leave it off most of the time, so the only way to do that from the physical unit is to hold the down arrow for a long time (20 seconds) to lower the setpoint to minimum. It works fine from the app though.

HA thinks this supports cooling too. Is there a way to fix that?

1 Like

I figured out how to remove the cooling mode using the customize integration. Now I’m struggling with a problem where sometimes when the heater is off and I try to turn it on using the Lovelace climate card or climate.set_temperature it does not turn on. It sets the state to heat, and it sets the temperature correctly, but the hvac_action remains idle. It seems like this happens when the heater has been off for several hours. If it was just recently turned off, then I can’t reproduce the problem, which makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

FYI, for anyone using HA with docker, make sure to set the network to Host (not bridge). This was causing me issues with Homekit Controller discovery.

Just wanted to share my experience.
Easily connected my Mysa v2. All you need is the pairing code.

I did have to remove the face of the controller to retrieve the pairing code!

The code is on the sticker pictured. Only issue is that the code on the sticker looks like

Home Assistant wants it in the ###-##-#### format.

Also you have a limited time after reinstalling the face of the controller to pair it. (about 5 mins if I am not mistaken)
mysa|281x500

Model: BB-V2-0
Device Firmware version 3.14.5.85

I just installed Mysa Lite. It seems like it changed a lot:

• List item you can add it to HA via HomeKit after the device was added using the Mysa App.
  • List item you DO NOT NEED to enter dashes. Yes, just 8 digit code.

Just got a Mysa Thermostat for Mini Splits and these are the steps I took

• Plug in
  • Get app
  • Setup thermostat with the app and skip Homekit
  • Go into HA, it showed up and wanted the PIN. The PIN is now on a sticker on the back and in the book, no need to remove cover

That’s all

I also blocked it off from the internet and confirmed it works fine

Are you using Homekit Device integration or something else for the Mysa devices? Im not seeing it pop up like you mention which im guessing is due to it being on another network.