Anyway in ozw to remove a node that is dead or after a hard reset of a device

Hi all not an expert but an enthusiast user here.
I have a couple of nodes that are dead or wrongly removed after fiddling with new devices.
Now I know I can reset my zme-uzb1 in the past did this resulting in a lot of work.
Recently switched to ozw and the only thing I can do to remove a device is to exclude it.
The only thing is a device that is not there cannot be excluded as the controller wants to tell this to a non responding device.
So my question is than is there a way without resetting to tell my usb controller that device is not there anymore and can be deleted.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but I’d like to know the same thing. I’m having trouble trying to upgrade the firmware on my ZooZ switches, which caused one node to get re-added as a new node, leaving the old node dead (there’s no physical device to remove now).

Check the following thread:

Many thanks for the link to this thread the manual worked.
Removed the node :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

This doesnt seem to be workign for me. I set the testnetworknode value as stated. I want to remove Node 55 because it doesn’t exist. I’m not seeing any messages in my OZW Admin, and the testnetworknode message is not being acknowledged.

Are you using the OpenZWave (Beta)? If not, what are you using as I don’t think this is the right way to do it with the old z-wave integration. I think this method also works with the zwave2mqtt setup but I don’t run that so I’m not sure.

What I found very useful was to open the control UI of the add-on and click on the Events List tab near the bottom. The statuses appear there, but differently than the quoted topic shows. You should easily be able to make that formatting translation! Please post what you see there when you try this.

Yes. I have new OZW. I don’t know how to remove failed nodes. They’re building up and I have no way to get rid of them.

OK. There are two “new OZW”. One is and Add-On (in Lovelace UI click on Supervisor on the left then Dashboard at the top and see if OpenZWave appears in the “Add-ons” section near the top. The other is from the HACS which you only get if you installed the HACS yourself.

Assuming you have the Add-on and it is working, to remove a node do the following:

1. If OpenZWave doesn’t appear in the left column of the Lovelace UI (called the sidebar), go to Supervisor | Dashboard then click on OpenZWave and turn on “Show in sidebar”. Click on OpenZwave in the sidebar. That opens the config UI for OpenZWave.

2. Click on Open then the bottom Start button on the popup. Click on the OZW Logs tab at the bottom.

3. Now click on Developer Tools on the sidebar then choose the Services option.

4. Now select mqtt.publish in the dropdown and type in the following four lines (including quotes)

topic: OpenZWave/1/command/testnetworknode/
payload: '{ "node": 55, "count": 3 }'
retain: false
qos: 2
  1. Click on CALL SERVICE

2. Now click on OpenZWave on the sidebar and you should have all the log messages in the window. You will have to scroll to see them all. Note there are FAR more than the above linked message says but you can either figure it out yourself or copy them all and post them for me to look at. If there are no messages at all, make sure you have a node 55 in the list of nodes in the OpenZWave window above the logs.

When we reach this point, we can tell if you have a dead node and finish by publishing the other two MQTT messages.

As you can see, I have a device that needs expert help. I use the official tool to admin instead of the tiny little window provided by the UI. I can click this button to my hearts content and it is not doing anything

Ahh! It is because it is a battery powered device! The stick knows it’s a battery device so it holds the message until the battery device wakes up. Since it will never wake up, I’m not quite sure what happens. I will research that.

Meantime, since you first did this a week ago, I’m wondering if it is now flagged as failed. Have you tried to publish the second command as follows:

topic: OpenZWave/1/command/hasnodefailed/
payload: '{ "node": 55 }'
qos: 0

Report back the result from OZW Logs.

Getting closer…

According to the docs, it looks like hasnodefailed will cause it to fail during the test if it isn’t already failed. This implies that the testnetworknode publish is not necessary as the hasnodefailed one will test and report on failure. That would simplify this procedure a bit.

So try the hasnodefailed as I said above. See what it reports and report back here.

Since you have more nodes, when we get this one done, let’s try not using the testnetworknode and see if hasnodefailed fails the node fine without testnetworknode.

@adamoutler I am interested to see if you got this to work. I have removed a few non-battery devices and I’m very confident it works well publishing the three commands in order. I would like to see if it works without the testnetworknode command as the docs say that hasnodefailed is supposed to test as well. If it does, we can remove one step (simple is always better!). Also I haven’t removed any battery devices so I would get this working as well and you are my ticket.

I’ve researched it (battery case) and I have a few other steps that might be necessary but I haven’t mentioned yet so as to keep it simple. I need your feedback on the success/failure of hasnodefailed as you are the one with the devices to be removed.

These added steps involve editing the cache which involves a number of steps. I’m hoping it is unnecessary.

So, have you had a chance to try publishing the hasnodefailed command? Let me know the results…

I think we need to go with the other steps. The device still exists.

I still have this device, but it wont go away. It’s just a blank entry and no way to remove it.

Actually, it looks like that step worked! The last entry in the log says HasNodeFailed…NodeFailed. That is what we were looking for. NOW you publish the third command as follows:

topic: OpenZWave/1/command/removefailednode/ 
payload: '{ "node": 55}'

Give it a try. If it works, we will see how simple we can make it on the next device you remove. I’m hoping all you have to do is publish the two commands and, maybe, wait (maybe hours) after the first one for the failure timeout.

Let me know what removefailednode does.

1 Like

There we go. This seemed to work.

topic: OpenZWave/1/command/testnetworknode/
payload: '{ "node": 55, "count": 3 }'
qos: 2
topic: OpenZWave/1/command/hasnodefailed/
payload: '{ "node": 55 }'
topic: OpenZWave/1/command/removefailednode/ 
payload: '{ "node": 55}'
1 Like

I applied these three commands to all my failed devices and it worked. ![image|383x266]
Onto the next one

Excellent. I’m very happy it worked. I always like a clean, clean system. Maybe that is why I have NO complaints about the OpenZWave (Beta).

I’m still suspecting you don’t need the first of the three commands. I think the second command takes care of the test. Did you try removing any of them without the first command?

The “next one” I assume it 21. I also see that 98 through 105 need xml to be fixed. This is not hard. I was intimidated by the prospect of editing (and PR) a device xml but it was a piece of cake!

I’m working on the switches themselves still. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MDDM6DT/

I’ve got a bunch more to install. I’m installing a z-wave switch in every single switch gang box.

We are getting a bit off topic, but the switches seem to be brand-labeled Jasco switches. When you say “working on” do you mean xml? If so, it might be much easier than you think since they are probably already there but with a different manufacturer ID. If you need help, start a new thread and put @KeithL in the message (otherwise I will probably miss it) and I can walk you through.

So what about the battery devices? Did you ever try only the last two commands (skipping the testnetworknode)? Also, did you have any that you didn’t try to publish any command to until just now? This I ask so I can tell if it immediately detects failure when you do the hasnodefailed without waiting for wakeup first.

I mean, one thing at a time. I have 8 more to install.

I didn’t try those two commands. I was able to successfully remove the devices though.