Appdaemon people_tracker

Hello @petro ,
I have got one question for you please. I have installed People Tracker appdaemon and it works. So first of all, thank you for this great work! Now, what I see is that it does not detect my guests as they are not connecting their devices to my wifi network. However, there could be a way to count in a way, by checking what motion sensors indoor have to say or with a trick I like to use: I placed an indoor motion sensor just before my main door so I can tell if people are entering or leaving home. It works most of the time as people sometime go to open the door to more guests for instance.
Any idea you have on how I could improve this? The count I created is not so accurate because of people opening the door from indoor but not leaving for example. And the appdaemon is not accurate either because my guests are generally not connected to my wifi router.

Hmm, interesting, never thought about this. Can you show me how you count it currently, and how you’re adding it to people tracker?

I am not connecting it to people tracker as I have never done any appdaemon before. I am using a simple input_number which I increment with automation if door opens and motion is not detected. I decrement it with automation if door closes and motion is detected.

So what people tracker does is that it simply counts the number of device trackers that you want it to count. It then formats the names to remove pluralization. After that, you hook up a ‘guests’ toggle to it. It does not count your guests. Its a simple boolean. Basically saying ‘guests are here’ or ‘guests are not here’. Then people_tracker formats sentances for you. e.g. A, B, C, and Guests. So, unfortunately, I don’t really have a solution for you.