AppDaemon vs YAML Automations

Hi, all this while I had a very simple automation setup, like, if the door opens, turn on the lights, etc. Configuring these automations was very simple and usually done from the Automation Editor itself, no manual YAML code was required.
We can do all of this with AD as well, just by writing a few lines of Python.

Now, how do I decide (or the factors) for particular automation, should I use YAML or switch to AD. One I can think of is the convenience.
I am interested in knowing the advantages/disadvantages of the two, especially in terms of Execution time/speed

the advantages from using appdaemon:

• no need to restart home assistant if you add an automation.
  • more complicated automations are very hard in yaml and more easy in python
    disadvantages:
  • if AD is setup wrong you can lose the connection between AD and HA, when you lose internet connection

i guess its taste and convenience thats the biggest part of the decision.
you could always use both.

1 Like

So, talking specifically on the resource usage, performance basis, there is no noticeable difference? considering the fact that it is running on a Pi.

1 Like

nope, if both run on the same pi and you connect from AD to HA locally (not through an duckdns url or something simular) there should not be any noticeable difference in performance.
of course you use a little more CPU and mem, because you run appdaemon.

Hi,

The “no restart” is a huge bonus, plus the module design makes it easy to duplicate apps…

2 Likes

right i forgot to mention that.
create 1 piece of python code, use it for a lot of different cases.