to
/addon_configs/a0d7b954_appdaemon/apps

check if dir has been mounted

df -h 

you should have something similar

/dev/sda8                30.8G     17.3G     12.2G  59% /addon_configs

The two easiest ways I know:

Using Samba

1. Make sure you have the SambaShare addon installed and configured.
  2. Mount the addon_configs from a computer on the same network as Home Assistant. How you do depends on your OS.
    2.1. On macOS, you open Finder, press Cmd + k and write smb://$HA_IP (where $HA_IP is the IP of your Home Assistant instance), then log in with the credentials you defined in the addon configuration.
    2.2. Select addon_configs
  3. Open the addon_configs and the the folder that has appdaemon in the name.
  4. Find the appdamon.yaml file - this is the exact same file you had before, it has just been moved.
  5. Find the line where it says /config/secrets.yaml and change that to /config/secrets.yaml.
  6. Save and close the file, then restart the AppDaemon addon.

Using Terminal

1. After logging in (however you prefer, I use this addon), navigate to the new Appdaemon directory by typing cd addon_configs then ´cd $APPDAEMON´ where $APPDAEMON is the name of the directory with appdaemon in the name.
  2. Open the appdamon.yaml file by typing nano appdamon.yaml.
  3. Find the line where it says /config/secrets.yaml and change that to /config/secrets.yaml.
  4. Save and close the file (press Ctrl + o then Ctrl + x), then restart the AppDaemon addon.

Open Studio Code Server. Press the 3 lines at the top left. Then select File/Open Folder. Then you can select the /addon_configs folder. Then do the same again to get back to the /config folder.

1 Like

Easiest I found to access /addon_configs folder is via Studio Coder Server i.e. Open Studio Code Server. Press the 3 lines at the top left. Then select File/Open Folder. Then you can select the /addon_configs folder. Then do the same again to get back to the /config folder.

so I would need this add on installing?

Or is it another pc program called “studio code server”
Sorry but this is way above what I have done so far.
TIA.

Yes. Go in your HA to Settings/Add-ons and add Studio Code Server (formerly Visual Studio Code i.e. if you type Visual Studio Code, HA will show you the Studio Code Server add-on). By default the add-on should show your /config folder. Press “Yes” regarding “Trust the Authors” when opening the first time.

Appdaemon is also above what I’m used to but Studio Code Server is my default add-on if I have to change something in my configuration.yaml, sensors.yaml and secrets.yaml. I also can manage all my HACS custom integrations with that tool. And since I’m using the Appdaemon based ELCO Remocon net AppDaemon (sensors for my ELCO heating system) custom integration, I had to find a simple visual way to access the hidden appdaemon.yaml and to change the secrets path. I’m not used to Terminal and Samba :slight_smile:

Thanks for the promt reply, I have installed and followed your instructions, but I am unsure what to do when i get to the folder , I am trying to post what it says but its complaining its not formatted correct

Open appdaemon.yaml in the /addon_configs folder and adapt to your needs. I had only to change the secrets path from 
secrets: /config/secrets.yaml 
to
secrets: /homeassistant/secrets.yaml 
to get Appdaemon running again
As an example, my appdaemon.yaml looks as follows:
---
secrets: /homeassistant/secrets.yaml
appdaemon:
  latitude: 52.379189
  longitude: 4.899431
  elevation: 2
  time_zone: Europe/Amsterdam
  plugins:
    HASS:
      type: hass
      ha_url: http://homeassistant.local:8123
      token: !secret appdaemon_token
http:
  url: http://homeassistant.local:5050
admin:
api:
hadashboard:
2 Likes

Thank you so much , that all makes sence now. I have it back up and running , but the NS panels dont work as they did. Thank you for your help

Unfortunately I don‘t use NS Panel. But check if the apps folder in the add_configs folder has the necessary .py files of that App (NS Panels) With my use case (Heating) the relevant .py file was not automatically copied to the addon_configs folder i.e. remained in the config folder. After copying the .py file to the addon_configs app folder and ensuring that the apps.yaml in the addon_configs folder is mounting the app, it worked again. The following pictures as a visual help to what I wrote :grinning:

2 Likes

Good to know: If you don’t see the samba share folder addon_configs, you probably are still on an older version of the Samba addon. So update it first and the folder addon_configs will appear :wink:
Looks lame, but it took me an hour to figure this out :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

Make sure you have the latest samba share version: the addon_configs share is added only recently!

1 Like

Did you find the reason why NS Panel still did not work after fixing the path to the secrets file?

thanks!

That really doesn’t make sense to me ?

You need to find that “sentence” in your appdaemon.yaml file.

1. Open your appdaemon.yaml file. The location has changed, so you need to follow the instructions in this thread (and several others) to find it after the update to addon file storage.

2. Then find the line in appdaemon.yaml that mentions secrets.yaml, most likely it’s one of the first lines, and most likely the full line says secrets: /config/secrets.yaml if you have not updated it since the new addon file structure.

3. Change this line to secrets: /homeassistant/secrets.yaml, since this is how the addons reference anything in your old config directory, i.e., the one where secrets.yaml is located if you have followed Home Assistant instructions for setting it up.

This is ho my appdaemon.yaml looks now, the highlighted line (first line) is what was previously secrets: /config/secrets.yaml:

1 Like

@Aephir your ‘appdaemon.yaml’ file is identical to mine, however when I start the appdaemon addon I get the following errors reported in the logs:

ERROR Error loading secrets file: /homeasistant/secrets.yaml
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/appdaemon”, line 8, in
sys.exit(main())
^^^^^^
File “/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/appdaemon/main.py”, line 417, in main
admain.main()
File “/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/appdaemon/main.py”, line 276, in main
if “appdaemon” not in config:

So clearly in my instance secrets: /homeasistant/secrets.yaml is not the right path referencing.

Weird, but it looks like the same as here.

Where is you secrets.yaml? It’s in the base directory of Home Assistant (same folder as configuration.yaml), right?

You did update so you have the addon mounts as separate from the homeassistant/config mounts, right? That is, in the base directory where you have configuration.yaml (and secrets.yaml), there should be no appdaemon directory (or if there is, it should be empty).

Yes - my secrets.yaml file is in the same place its been since I began using Home Assistant in 2016, in the /config folder, now renamed the /homeassistant folder.

With regard to your query about the add on mounts, I’m not following you on that one. There is no appdaemon directory in my /homeassistant folder.

My Home Assistant install is via the HA OS method, running on a Rpi4 off a 32Gb SSD card. With the latest install documentation its the installation method as described here:
https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/#diy-with-raspberry-pi

In that context I’m presuming appdaemon, like other add-ons, is running, with HA supervision, in its own docker container independent of the HA container, but is set-up to access the HA container file structure for configuration and data files.

appdaemon all works fine save that clearly I don’t yet understand how to guide appdaemon where to find the /homeassistant folder relative to its own configuration folder, which is at the path /addon_configs/xxxxxxxx.appdaemon. I’m presuming that both the /homeassistant and the /addon_configs folder are at the root level in the HA docker container.

OK, that sounds correct. The addon_configs/ is the “new” mount that appeared in late 2023 (if you kept everything up to date), where all… well, addon configs, are now located (basically the “persistent data” for the docker containers).

Not really sure what to say in that case (well, maybe check for typo’s, the first time I tried, it was pretty late, and I copied someone elses typo: /homeasistant/secrets.yaml :slight_smile: )