Apple airtags in homeassistant

Hello all,

Can someone clarify something for me please? I found this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/13o2keg/finally_appletags_in_home_assistant/

And I am about to try it, but then I read that using an apple id with what is essentially a hackintosh made me to stop. The only other apple device I have is my wife’s iphone and I was planning on using her id.

The question is, will I get my wife’s id banned if I do this? Has anyone tried it?

Cheers

You should use this guide AirTag "integration" (user friendly + device tracker), you do not have to “hack” anything.

1 Like

I have seen that too. But that involves the phone to be unlocked all the time from what I understand and also when the location is updated there is a brief interruption in the usage.
Since this is my wife’s phone, I would prefer not to cause unnecessary interruption.

So the question still stands, unless I misunderstood this other method!

If you are afraid of getting banned, maybe It is easier to get and old iPhone/iPad you can leave at home, and use It with the airtag “integration” (and others purposes)

The airtag “integration” is relatively user-friendly, but the main issue with it is that uses OCR and the Find My App usually posts partial addresses, which does not allow location (this is not an issue of the integration - simply due to the fact that there is sometimes limited info provided on the Finnd My app).

The other solution, which I am currently implementing, allows the extraction of lat and lon coordinates - which make sit more fool proof.

Currently installing macOS Ventura on Proxmox and will revert. Banning of Apple ID’s should mainly concern new AppleID’s not linked to extisting Apple devices and or Credit Card Information. YMMV