Apple Carplay causing problems with IOS device tracker updates?

I have been struggling with the device tracker in IOS not always updating. I see this happening on two different iphones. I believe I have all the settings correct, Location: always, background refresh on etc.

Digging in logs I noticed when the problem happens, Home assistant is not getting any update that a person left the house. But on that phone under debugging on the IOS HA app, I can see several errors attempting to update :

“Didn’t update: the operation couldn’t be completed”.

I look in that error and it shows the following (below) referencing start_ssid: Car-9892 – which is the apple carplay SSID for this car. (see error text below) (note apple carplay uses the wifi port when connecting wirelessly).

Not sure why the phone isn’t using the cellular network to update location when this is happening, it seems to be attempting to update via the carplay SSID.

It does seem these problems started when our phones linked to apple carplay on this 2024 Honda Pilot. This may be an apple or Honda issue but curious if anyone else has seen carplay causing problems with IOS device tracker updates.

Error from HA app on phone/event log:

{
“event” : “ZoneManagerEvent(region(CLCircularRegion (identifier:‘3105950F-6336-4A0E-B8F6-CAC02D95C34B/zone.home’, center:<+xx.xxx64420,-xxx.xxx75408>, radius:100.00m), outside), 3105950F-6336-4A0E-B8F6-CAC02D95C34B/zone.home)”,
“error” : “outOfTime”,
“start_ssid” : “Car-9892”
}

Using Car Play on Audi Q5 for years and no issues. Initially I used it in wired mode, but recently added wireless CarPlay adapter to my car and also did not experienced any issues. The difference is, however, that in my setup all connections are made by car build in WiFi access point that also allows connection to internet…

After more testing I think the problem is tied to tailscale and apple carplay. When tailscale is enabled and the iphone moves to wireless carplay it looses internet connectivity and then HA app cannot update location. Been testing with tailscale disabled and so far no problem.