Apple ignorant person asking about Homekit

If a device is Homekit compatible and has no other way of communicate with HA.
What is needed?

Can I just install the Homekit integration and it will work once configured?
Do I need an Apple product to get it working? Is the Apple product needed more than for the configuration?
I’m looking at Glue lock, it only supports Homekit. But I try to stay away from Apple products.
I have an old iPhone 6 as my old work phone, I could probably start it up, but is it required?

If it connects to HomeKit via WiFi (as opposed to Bluetooth) then you can connect it to HA using the HomeKit Controller integration.

So I don’t need any additional hardware or subscriptions?

Some devices will need to connect to HomeKit first, in order to get them onto your network. You would use the Home app on an iOS device to do that. Once added, you would then remove the device from your Home app and then you can add to HA. But if your device is already on your network, you shouldn’t need that step.

1 Like

Got it!
I’ll have to see if the old work phone still boots up.

1 Like

FWIW, I have several ecobee Switch+ devices integrated via homekit_controller. Initially, they must be configured using ecobee’s app (set WiFi, optionally activate certain features, register the device with ecobee, etc).

They’re Homekit-compatible but there’s no obligation to connect them to any Apple device. You would do that only if you want the Apple device (iPhone or HomePod) to serve as the automation-controller.

I want Home Assistant to serve as the controller, so each Switch+ is registered as a Homekit accessory (that’s Apple’s term for a Homekit-compatible device) with Home Assistant (via homekit_controller integration), not an iPhone or HomePod.

1 Like