Apple TV Integration - tvOS 15 Beta

Hi!

I have trouble to reconnect my Apple TV 4 TvOS 15. I have upgraded to latest Beta and removed all entities related that i can find and also removed pytv as remote on the apple tv. My Apple TV 3 paires without a problem.

i get this:

2021-10-24 12:22:55 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/data_entry_flow.py", line 151, in async_init
    flow, result = await task
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/data_entry_flow.py", line 177, in _async_init
    result = await self._async_handle_step(flow, flow.init_step, data, init_done)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/data_entry_flow.py", line 256, in _async_handle_step
    result: FlowResult = await getattr(flow, method)(user_input)
  File "/config/custom_components/apple_tv/config_flow.py", line 165, in async_step_zeroconf
    return await self.async_find_device_wrapper(self.async_found_zeroconf_device)
  File "/config/custom_components/apple_tv/config_flow.py", line 225, in async_find_device_wrapper
    return await next_func()
  File "/config/custom_components/apple_tv/config_flow.py", line 203, in async_found_zeroconf_device
    await self.async_set_unique_id(self.device_identifier)
  File "/config/custom_components/apple_tv/config_flow.py", line 105, in device_identifier
    if identifier in entry.data[CONF_IDENTIFIERS]:
KeyError: 'identifiers'
2021-10-24 12:23:04 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.apple_tv] Failed to connect
  File "/config/custom_components/apple_tv/__init__.py", line 259, in _connect_loop
    conf = await self._scan()
  File "/config/custom_components/apple_tv/__init__.py", line 290, in _scan
    identifiers = set(self.config_entry.data[CONF_IDENTIFIERS])
KeyError: 'identifiers'

Please help on how to move forward

You need to manually (with a text editor) open .storage/core.config_entries and remove any left overs in there.

I have searched in that file and can’t find any related entities.

I only see for the working Apple TV

i erased the Apple TV3 from core.config_entries and rebooted. Now both of them show up but get an error when comfiming the codes. same on both devices

zeroconf._exceptions.NonUniqueNameException

Please include the full stack tracks, I can’t say that much from the error alone.

Hi!

Here it is

pyatv.exceptions.PairingError: HTTP/1.1 method POST failed with code 470: Connection Authorization Required
2021-10-24 20:36:13 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.apple_tv.config_flow] Unexpected exception
  File "/config/custom_components/apple_tv/config_flow.py", line 323, in async_pair_next_protocol
    await self.pairing.begin()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyatv/protocols/dmap/pairing.py", line 97, in begin
    await self._publish_service(ipaddr, port)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyatv/protocols/dmap/pairing.py", line 125, in _publish_service
    await mdns.publish(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyatv/core/mdns.py", line 546, in publish
    await loop.run_in_executor(None, zconf.register_service, zsrv)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zeroconf/_core.py", line 559, in register_service
    run_coro_with_timeout(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zeroconf/_utils/asyncio.py", line 95, in run_coro_with_timeout
    return asyncio.run_coroutine_threadsafe(aw, loop).result(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 445, in result
    return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 390, in __get_result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zeroconf/_utils/asyncio.py", line 89, in await_awaitable
    task = await aw
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zeroconf/_core.py", line 587, in async_register_service
    await self.async_check_service(info, allow_name_change, cooperating_responders)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zeroconf/_core.py", line 732, in async_check_service
    raise NonUniqueNameException
zeroconf._exceptions.NonUniqueNameException

@postlund ,was this what you meant?

@postlund thank you for your work on tvOS!

I have successfully installed the integration via HACS. I am unsure what I am supposed to do next. Should my AppleTV’s auto-populate on my normal integrations page? (Do I need to wipe my old AppleTV integrations beforehand?)

Yes, they should auto-populate as usual. If they don’t, you probably have old entries left. It’s easiest to just remove them manually from .storage/core.config_entries for now. I’m gonna try to make an update to the integration soon and bump config entry version so they don’t load at all, which should easier. I’m not sure how to do this properly yet as there is no migration path in this case.

Thanks, clearing the old entities from my ./storage directory worked.

I did initially get a series of errors (see past edit history of this comment for more information). Some series of restarts and updating to tvOS 15.1 kicked the fix into action. My AppleTV now correctly show its status in Home Assistant. Rock on!

1 Like

hi @postlund
hi everybody,

I’ve just installed last 1.7 beta version and it isn’t working

this is from the logs:

Logger: homeassistant.setup
Source: setup.py:178 
First occurred: 21:02:58 (1 occurrences) 
Last logged: 21:02:58

Setup failed for apple_tv: Unable to import component: cannot import name 'ATTR_CONNECTIONS' from 'homeassistant.const' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/const.py)

thank you for your remarkable work!

I have the same error.

I am also getting the same error

Oh, that’s bad on my end! The functionality I bumped will be available in the next release of Home Assistant :confused:

Everyone: Please revert to previous version, I will try to tag with minimum required version and make a new release as soon as I can!

2 Likes

What version of Home Assistant do you have?

I reverted to 1.6 and added two Apple TVs (Apple TV 4K, Apple TV 4K second generation). I was able to call media_player.media_play_pause on the 2nd gen, but couldn’t get remote.send_command to work on either device. After a short while, the media_player calls stopped working on the 2nd gen.

You need to provide and kind of log or exact service calls you tried to make, otherwise it’s not really possible to troubleshoot.

I don’t see anything in the logs when I run commands via Developer Tools. I assume it’s because HA is unable to discover the Living Room Apple TV. It only finds the Office Apple TV.

2021-10-28 16:03:15 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.apple_tv] Starting connect loop
2021-10-28 16:03:15 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.apple_tv] Discovering device Office Apple TV
2021-10-28 16:03:16 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.apple_tv] Connecting to device Office Apple TV
2021-10-28 16:03:17 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.apple_tv] Changing address to 192.168.86.XXX
2021-10-28 16:03:17 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.apple_tv] Connect loop ended

Yeah, it’s probably not connected. Did you remove the old devices when upgrading? Otherwise you need to do that.

Hi there! Trying to set up the integration, but it seems that the version restriction isn’t permitting my to install on beta.

Is there a workaround for this in the meantime?