Apple Watch Complication not updating

Hello All,

I have an iPhone 12 with IOS 14.5 and Apple Watch Series 6 with WatchOS 7.4, as well as HomeAssistant OS 2021.4.6 and HomeAssistant IOS App 2021.4.1. I have a complication created to show the status of a door lock, but it does not update on watch (on HA it works as expected). Can someone help me?

Many thanks

IMG_9934

It’s expected that the complications will update within a few minutes of :00, :15, :30, and :45 past the hour; unfortunately, Apple limits how often we can update, and the tooling to allow pushing complication updates to the watch isn’t available yet.

Thanks for your very quick answer, Zac. It would be good to have this information on the Apple Watch documentation.

That’s in the “Complication Updating” section there.

Sorry about that :man_facepalming:

Looks like there is a new push notification feature that will be included in 2021.6. I can’t wait to get this.

Manual updates#

Complications can also be updated a Notification Command. These are limited by the system to 50 per day, and you can see the current limits in the Apple Watch section of App Configuration.

This may take between a few seconds and a few minutes for the update to fully apply.

2021.6 (BETA) is required for manual updates.

• service: notify.mobile_app_<your_device_id_here>

data:

I have a similar problem, but my complications NEVER update on their own. Also, clicking on the manual updates linkbin the HA Watch Configuration section does nothing. However, if I open the HA Watch app and execute a scene (eg turn off a light that is already off) they DO update.

I would be OK but not super-happy with every 15m but even that seems broken on my instance now.

BTW I’m using complications to monitor my solar power system which is relatively slow-changing.

So one thing that might be causing my problem is that I have around a dozen or so unused complications, left over from development. I’m wondering if I’m hitting a limit on updates due to these somewhere, since the docs say inactive complications get updated too… they aren’t assigned to any faces, however.

Anyway, I’m going to set up an automation to send out update notifications during daylight hours to work around the issue for now, but…

After the latest HA Core update my complications are updating… so looks like whatever was going on has been resolved.

At which place should i add this? In my configuration.yaml?