Aqara Door and Window Sensor T1 - sensor not working

hello all
i have recently bought Aqara Door and Window Sensor T1 ( MCCGQ12LM / lumi.sensor_magnet.agl02 ). Am able to connect the device to hassio over ZHA, however the sensor it self does not work - always shows only “closed” status. I believe the problem is not with the sensor, as I have already tried 2 devices on 2 different ZHA gateway, but no luck . Also i hear a little “tick” when i bring the magnet close to sensor it self.

According to blakadder its supposed to work with ZHA ( Aqara Door and Window Sensor T1 MCCGQ12LM Zigbee compatibility ).

Anyone else experienced this problem?
Thanks for answers

I have dozens of those on my network, and yes, I did experience the same problem you are describing - once.

It was the coordinator. I had decided to “upgrade” from a Conbee II to a Sonoff.

Junk. It didn’t register state changes in a timely manner, if at all.

I switched to the NORTEK Z-wave/Zigbee combo device, and the problems were resolved immediately.

I have tried with “official” SkyConnect and also with Electrolama zigbee stick…i would rather change the sensor, than the stick.
Anyway, thanks for your feedback

I’ve not tried either of those coordinators, so I can’t comment directly on those.

As for why you’d rather change the sensor, I don’t understand that line of thinking.

There have been SEVERAL reviews and tests done whereby that sensor is, quite literally, the bar-none, absolute BEST contact sensor available on the market, not only in terms of size, but also battery life, reliability, etc etc.

I would urge you to do more research before making your decision. Down the road, you may in fact find that you have difficulties with some other sensor as well.

One thing worth noting that I didn’t mention before - how close to your coordinator are you when doing this testing? I was literally 4 feet away. The coordinator was sitting on my desk, and I had the sensor in my hand.

If you are instead attempting to test with the sensor in-place, already installed on the door or window or whatever it is you’re looking to monitor, then the issue could be many, many other things - such as a poor Zigbee connection, meaning that you need to add repeaters.

There’s lots of other information that’s been left out as well. Is this your first zigbee device? Do you already have repeaters? Is your coordinator on a USB extension cable? Is it plugged into a USB2 or a USB3 port?

So many other factors to consider, but binning a perfectly good (arguably the best) sensor seems rash to me.

But hey - it’s your setup, do with it as you wish.

First of all thanks for trying to help. I will change the sensor only to the previous model ( Aqara Door & Window Sensor MCCGQ11LM Zigbee compatibility). This one I already have in my setup and works out of the box like a charm.
Considering ‘time is money’ I would rather go for proven solution rather than spending even more hours trying to fix the other sensors. I already was doing some research, without luck. Only found solution for zigber2mqtt which does not help to my ZHA setup.

1 Like

Regardless, be sure to follow these tips → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

Especially be sure to connect the Zigbee Coordinator adapter via a long USB extension cable to a USB 2.0 port (and not a USB 3.x or USB 4.x port ) + add a few mains-powered Zigbee products that are known to work as good Zigbee Router devices (e.i. Zigbee signal repeater/extender) to act as the stable backbone of your Zigbee network mesh. Generally, the more and better Zigbee Router devices you have the more stable your Zigbee network mesh should become.

For anyone that finds this, I have the Aqara Door and Window Sensor T1 working perfectly. I did initially find the same thing as this post, it would connect fine, but then not report any status change from ‘closed’ or battery status.

In my case, I was using an older firmware on the conbee II coordinator on a HASSIO system.

Updating the conbee II firmware as per instructions on this github page below then every one worked perfectly. I just unplugged the conbee, and plugged it into a windows desktop to update, then returned it to the HA system and it worked after repairing each sensor.