Aqara E1 Radiator TRV, can't turn on

I have the new E1 radiator added to homeassistant via the E1 USB hub and homekit integration. The device appears fine in HA and is mostly functional, but there is one thing not working.

I am able to do everything I want, apart from set the hvac mode to heating. I can set it to off and it turns off, but if I set it to heating, nothing happens, it stays in the off state. The only way I can turn it back on to heating is via the Aqara app. I have asked somebody who has their TRV connected directly to HomeKit and they have confirmed that they can set it to heating mode from homekit no problem, so this looks to be an issue/restriction with HA.

Also one other thing thats missing is the antifreeze mode, itā€™d be good to also get that as a hvac mode.

I donā€™t know if this is the right place to log this issue so if I should put it somewhere else please let me know, as I would love for this to be fixed so I can also turn the hvac mode back to heating via HA and homekit.

2 Likes

Hey,

Can confirm HomeKit worked for me without a problem, but i then decided to switch to HomeAssistant and im having the same problem as you i can turn the HVAC off from HA UI but when im trying to turn it back on it does not work. One detail i found is that on the working the hvac_action is heating and not heat. But i didnā€™t manage to get it to work

Hi!
I recently bought a Aqara E1 TRV, and connected it with a Conbee II zigbee stick and it communicates very well via Zigbee2mqtt. I can put it successfully on and off by use of HA or zigbee2mqtt, both work correctly.

3 Likes

Which intergration do you use to control/automate the Aqara E1? Iā€™m trying to set up a generic thermostat to control the Aqara E1 but with not much succes. I can control the Aqara E1 through the frontend, so I could set up some automations myself but Iā€™d rather use the generic thermostat.

Hi, as I was disappointed about the device Iā€™ve sent it back. I tried to add a schedule with the schedular custom component, but did not figure it all out. I guess it can.

Thanks Gerben! As I have purchased 4 Aqara E1ā€™s last friday and installed them yesterday. I am curious why youā€™ve returned them, if you donā€™t mind me asking? Is it device related or Home-Assistant related?

No problem.
I need a device with valve position reporting, and better than 1.0 degree accuracy in local temperature.
On the blackadder site it says it reports the valve position, but i does not, at least not with zigbee2mqtt, and the temperature is only reported with 1.0 degrees steps.
After that I bought a Nedis one, looking the same as the aqara, but identified different, and with other specs. this one does report local temperature correct, but also reports NA as valve position. This one also has no battery level reported, which I need of course. Aqara did a good job on that one.
In the end I also returned the Nedis one, and now thinking about Danfoss Ally, which has good reviews but costs about twice the Nedis price.

1 Like

I have the same problem with the Arara thermostats. I can only turn it on if I go to developer tools and then change the state to heat. Its not working from the gui. Is there a way to make a button for that? Iā€™m a HA beginner and have no clue :-/

Or does someone have a solution for it?

hey, Iā€™m just gonna tag along hereā€¦
I have three E1 connected via zigbee2mqtt and my thermostats are working fine for me so far. I canā€™t use heating in the HVAC control but I if i set the temperature it will heat to that level and thatā€™s all I need for now.

What doesnā€™t seem to work though, is changing the preset_mode to away. If I do it manually it works just fine and it also displays the correct away temperature in my dashboard. I can then change the preset_mode from HA back to manual without problem, it just does not seem to work the other way aroundā€¦

anybody else have that problem or even a fix? Since it is the same for all Thermostats it does not seem to be an isolated issueā€¦

Yeah same problem here. Tried with two newly unboxed E1sā€¦ can turn off, but not back on. This is problematic, but hopefully shouldnā€™t be too hard to fix.

Hi kanzie, thanks for reporting the bug.

I found the provided solution on github

Can you tell me how I can include this in my Home Assistant OS, can not find the internal files of HA.

SSH & Web Terminal is installed, Secure Mode is (currently) off

Problem is solved in Home Assistant 2022.11.3

Yes, that is my ticket you found and a solution was found and packaged into recent release so no need to edit the local source, just update the HASS container.

Would the Aqara TRVs work with a non-Aqara Zigbee hub? I currently have just the Sonoff one, connected to HA via the AlexxIT Sonoff Integration. Could consider buying Aqaraā€™s own ā€œUSB stickā€ E1 Zigbee hub if that would open the door to richer functionality (e.g. if the Aqara app only works via their hub).

I am using Ally and now replaced one Ally with Aqara. In general Ally is cool, but my one TRV in only one location was always unstable. From time to time It just worked as read-only device: sent temp/parameters but it was impossible to set own heating temp. Zigbee2MQTT showed that as device connected directly to coordinator with ā€˜0ā€™ signal. That problem was only in one particular place (few meters near zigbee coordinator), Iā€™ve tried to replace it with another Ally but no success. Quite interesting that the same TRV in other place was (and is) working good.

Check main Ally tread here and you will find some similar comments.

PS. Aqara TRV is good as for me, but I am sad too due to lack of valve position value, Ally has this parameter.

I just installed 2 valves. First I had an issue that it didnā€™t turn off but it seems the mode has to be set to Heating and not Heating/Cooling. But now I have the issue that it doesnā€™t turn off. I can turn it of in home assistant (i.e. set mode to off) But the valve doesnā€™t do anything. Only when I change the set temperature lower than the current temperature it turns off. This is a good workaround for now, but anyone have other ideas? (Iā€™m on 2022.11.4)

@ExtinctSKB I have the same problem, I canā€™t turn my devices off. Have you managed to fix the problem?

This is now working fine for me. I only just came back to this thread so didnā€™t realise they had fixed it in an update. I am now able to turn my valve on and off through HA.

Still not working for me. Are you using ZHA or Zigbee2MQTT? If I switch from heating to off the valve doesnā€™t close.

Same for me. I bought 2 of the Aqara E1 TRV and wanted to use them with SkyConnect and ZHA integration. No matter if using Better Thermostat or regular climate card when trying to turn them off they donā€™t close.