Aqara M3 Hub

I’m still on the struggle bus with this one. Similar to above; Android phone, trying to add Aqara M3 to HA so I can see the U50. Other thread & matter devices - Eve power outlets and Eve power plugs - added after I unplugged the M3 and sent HA credentials for Connect to my companion app.
My android always shows Aqara as preferred device which differs from HA. I can’t unplug the M3 though if I’m trying to add it. I tried removing the M3 as a HomeKit Device and still no luck :-/

I struggled with this too, but I finally managed to get all of it working.
I’m using native HA OS on an rpi4, have an Android phone and no other thread/matter coordinators.
Please note that the process is still buggy and some steps need to be repeated until successful. Here’s what I did:

1. Install Aqara app on my phone (personally I used their products but I haven’t ever used their app)

2. Setup the device using Aqara app and the Aqara code on the back of the device

3. Checked the M3 hub settings in the Aqara app: click on the hub → tap the 3 dots in the uper right conner → scroll to “Network Information” and tap it-> scroll to the “Replacing a Thread Network” and tap it → make sure the preferred and current networks are the same.

4. In the Aqara app go to “Profile” → “Settings” and make sure “Edge Mode” is enabled.

5. This step is optional and refers to HVAC control exported via Matter, which uses the IR blaster. So, in the Aqara app open the hub options and navigate to “Air Conditioning Mode” and follow the on screen instructions to setup your blaster to control your AC unit.

6. Go to your HA instance and navigate to “Devices & services” either from your PC or phone

7. Configure the Homekit integration using the code on the back of the hub (along side the Aqara one). Do not use any dashes when typing the code. If no other zigbee or bluetooth device was added you’ll see only the aqara hub present there (with 3 basic entities available: Identity, Pairing Mode and Security System).

8. To get thread to work, you need the companion HA app, i.e. the one that runs on your phone. Fire the companion app and navigate to “Devices and services”.

9. Either click the configure button on the Thread integration or add it manually.

10. Once added tap on the Thread integration → tap Configure → Send Credentials. Go back to the Thread integration and set the preferred network with the one using the Aqara hub as boarder router

11. Now for Matter, either add the integration or configure it if it popped up. Upon configuring it will automatically install the HA Matter Server if the box is checked. This was my case.

12. After installing it to add the hub you’ll need your Matter Third Party Code/QR code located on the back of the manual.

13. Once again using your phone navigate to “Devices and services” and tap “Devices” icon on the bottom of the screen.

14. Make sure your phone and hub are close together and Bluetooth is enabled on your phone.

15. Now tap “Add Device” → tap “Add Matter device” → “No. It’s new” → either scan the QRCode or tap “Setup without QR-code” to do it manually. I tried this step a couple of times until success, but it finally worked.

16. That’s it, your hub should now be ready to go. If you did step 5 like me, you should find that you now have a thermostat entity for your air conditioner exposed through matter.

Haven’t tried it yet, but you should be able to add other matter devices to HA in this way.

Finally, in my opinion the M3 Hub is work in progress and a totally rushed product that does not rise up to any level of exception:

1. Adding IR controlled stuff does not expose any entities through any of the integrations, only the basic aircon thermostat
  2. The hub does not expose its very loud speaker, which many would have used as an alarm
  3. The Matter supported device is very limited.
  4. Zigbee coordinator is not exposed to HA, many would have used it as a second coordinator.
  5. Local control settings need to be clear, at the forefront and exposed through entities everywhere

I could go on and on, but I think everybody gets the picture. Anybody that uses HA is better off with totally skipping this product.

1 Like

Thank you Dan,

This step thru was very helpful. Banging my head against the wall for a few days to get my new M3 hub added.

Cheers

I just read this today, maybe interesting for some:

Aqara joins Works with Home Assistant - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)