Aqara Motion Sensor Hack for 5 sec

Just went around and did some testing. Just changing the delay doesn’t work on all of them. Some have a 50s cooldown (not 60s as noted above), others trigger immediately. So it looks like I’m headed out to buy a 4B pencil.

Well I lost 2 of them in this process. 1 of which had been giving me some issues, and when I popped it open I found a piece had fallen off the board. So I can only assume it was a bad soldier and the banging it around to open it made it pop off. The other one I might have been a little overzealous with the pencil. It works on a 5s reset, but then instantly detects motion even when put in a closed empty drawer. At least these things are cheap so I’m not overly worried about those 2. If I can get them to reliably stay on the network I’ll order a bunch more and get a couple extras to replace these as well.

I didn’t notice any difference in the hardware between the ones that worked without the mod and the ones that didn’t. So it may be firmware. The ones that needed the mod are reporting firmware v 3000-0001. The ones that didn’t require the mod aren’t reporting a firmware version at all.

I just manned up and did the solder hack on two of these in the bathroom (as occupancy sensors), and even if I’m not exactly a world class solderer and probably have an iron that’s a couple of millimeters to wide at the tip, both work perfectly after this. Five secod cooldown is in. The hardest part turned out to be to click them together after the soldering job, that bottom is tricky.

1 Like

I fear I may have to solder them. I did them all with a pencil and they were all working great for a few days. Right now not a single one of the 18 are working at 5s intervals anymore, not even the ones that did before doing the pencil hack. They’re all back to a 1min cooldown.

Mine still stable after 2 year with pencil hack :slight_smile:

I’m at a loss here and hoping I can get advice from someone who’s been through this.

As I mentioned, I went around and did the pencil hack on 18 of these. Tested them all, all of them working at 5s intervals. The next day, every single one was back to a minute cool down time.

So I bit the bullet and started soldering them. Made it through 7 last night. Tested. All 7 again working on 5s intervals. Today, all 7 are back to a minute cool down again.

I snapped a couple pics. The pencil line which isn’t the cleanest looking but clearly still going between the 2 contacts. And the soldered wire which IMO is a decent job for an amateur.

Does anybody see anything I’m doing wrong that would cause these to work then stop suddenly? I can see a couple having bad connections and needing to be redone but not every single one of them.

EDIT: I did some more testing last night. If I re-join the device onto the network, it starts working with a 5s cooldown again. So I went around last night and re-joined them all, and all 18 were once again working with 5s cooldown. This is with no further hardware modifications, so 7 were soldered and 11 were done with pencil. All working for the 2nd time. This morning, once again, all are back to 60s cooldown. So I re-joined the one right beside me and once again it’s back to 5s.

If simply re-joining the device gets it back to 5s, I’m leaning towards this not being an issue with the actual hardware mod.

The HW hack doesn’t seem to work on recently produced sensors, as stuttvoll mentioned above.

2 Likes

I just came to the same conclusion. I tried the hardware hack on a few motion sensors I purchased
a week ago, but it doesn’t seem to work.

How recent are we talking? I bought some as recently as the last 1-2 months and it works somewhat, though I’ve had issues with it not working or ghost detections on some of my devices. However, I used conductive electric paint, so I’m not sure how reliable I should expect that to be.

Some of the sensors I tried this on didn’t work at all or rather it still just does the normal ~60s cooldown. On some it seemed to work well, but recently I’ve been getting phantom detections on them.

Hi all, I’ve tried this HW mod for myself as well. And I’m having the same problems described by MRobi and stuttvoll. Where the sensors would work in the 5s refresh state for a few hours before reverting back to the default 60s. Any one know if there’s a workaround for this?

Thank you for this! Read this entire thread to find something for Zigbee2MQTT and it’s working as expected. No ghost detections and cool down triggers correctly after my specified cooldown period. :slight_smile:

PS: I didn’t need to do the HW mod :raised_hands:

Really? Wait until tomorrow and let’s talk again.
Maybe it is just the training mode to figure out the right place…

Is it still working for you now? I thought it was working for me at first, but after a few hours I realised that it was because I was hitting the training button and not because of the mod. I also changed the Z2M settings, and all it does is clear the state rather than changing the refresh interval

@Friedi @araqa

It was indeed short lived :frowning: lol

I genuinely thought it was working (on a more permanent basis) but apparently not.

BUT with that said though, for any use cases of mine I can’t really think of a situation where I’d need it shorter than 60 seconds. Sure, I’d like to have the control and decide for myself, but personally I don’t really need it shorter.

Are there any well known causes, or better yet solutions, for the motion sensors having ghost detections? One of mine was working great for about a month and is now having very regular ghost detections.

Do you know when is the production date on you device? Which one is working and which one fail?

When is your production date? I have mine on production 2021.3 will it still work?

no idea, can i see that somewhere in deconz?

11.2021 seems to be the first batch which don’t work with the HW mod. I only have (very) old ones and very new ones, so I can’t guarantee.

I got mine on 2021.3 and 2021.2 so will tested and have my finger cross… thanks