Aqara Motion Sensor not recognized

Hi guys,

I am running HA on a Pi 4, and HUSBZB-1 USB Hub (Z-Wave/Zigbee). I would say I got everything right, weather sensors, water leak, for example are getting set right, but the motion sensors not much. Anyone had the same experience?

There’s a couple of Aqara Motion sensors. One was released a couple of months ago, the P1. They are currently working on integrating that into ZHA but works with Z2M.

The older one should be working in both.

Yes, this one is the P1. Should I wait or return it?

Its up to you. But, you can actually get it to work today in ZHA if you install something called a quirk. There are people using it now before it its get officially integrated with ZHA.

I actually don’t now what is involved to ge this to work now using the quirk, so I’m waiting (I have 3 in the box, unopened).

you can check out the progress here:

worst case scenario, I will swtich to Z2M, which actually has more device support.

1 Like

FYI, for referense see

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#knowing-which-devices-are-supported

and more importantly, read

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#zha-exception-and-deviation-handling

All new devices from those manufacturers that do not follow specs need quirks and thus support for them will be delayed until someone make a quirk, unlike devices that do follow the specs.

Zigbee2MQTT only support devices faster because their userbase/community is still larger than ZHA and thus they are quicker at making quirks. Crowdsoucing is good that way

1 Like

I wonder how many devices actually follow specs.

If its recorded, I’d be curious to see analytics on percentage of in-use devices that get by without quirks.

It’s anecdotal and may not be the norm, but I think all of my devices needed quirks.

Anecdotql but almost no devices manufactured by Tuya and Aqara/Xiaomi for the Zigbee specication completly.

If a device partially follow the specs then at least some parts should work so all its features might just not fully supported out of the box.

Power meter functions are usually such a feature that need quirk because they do not include the multiplier or devisor for values uses, while a off and on function for a relay usually do not need a quirk.